News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Are Amstrad and Spectrum disk formats the same?

Started by protek, 20:27, 06 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

protek

Are the Amstrad and Spectrum +3 disk formats exactly the same? Am I able to transfer Spectrum dsk images on 3,5" disk and copythem over to 3" disk on Amstrad?

Bryce

I can't be 100% sure, but I know that a CPC disk in a Spectrum +3 can definitely CAT and list the programs on the disk. I've often accidently put a CPC in the Spectrum, when testing them.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: protek on 20:27, 06 August 12
Are the Amstrad and Spectrum +3 disk formats exactly the same? Am I able to transfer Spectrum dsk images on 3,5" disk and copythem over to 3" disk on Amstrad?
Spectrum can read Amstrad standard formats. They are detected automatically and the files on the disc can be loaded and the directory listed. However the programs can't be run.

The CPC can read Spectrum disc formats with a little help. You have to setup some parameters in CPCs RAM.

This is possible because both disc formats are CPM based.

Download this disk:
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/plus3.dsk

This has a basic program which when run will setup CPC for reading Plus 3 discs.

Now CPC can list the directory and load some files, but because Plus 3 files have a different header, they may be seen as text by some CPC programs because they have "PLUS3DOS" in the header.

It is possible to load them direct into the cpc's ram if needed - I am sure I had some code somewhere, but I can't find it now. So it's possible to load screens from the Spectrum and convert them for use on the CPC.

This dsk has code for reading spectrum tape files and for converting screens from spectrum to cpc:
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/download/spec.zip
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

protek

Thanks for replies! The main idea would be to transfer +3 dsk images to 3" disk via 3,5" disk in the Amstrad to be able to play stuff on the +3.

Would my external 3,5" drive work directly in the +3? That would make things simpler.

Bryce

I have a 3.5in disk drive and sometimes my HxC connected to the +3, both work fine.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: protek on 22:12, 06 August 12
Thanks for replies! The main idea would be to transfer +3 dsk images to 3" disk via 3,5" disk in the Amstrad to be able to play stuff on the +3.

Would my external 3,5" drive work directly in the +3? That would make things simpler.
I see.

Well in that case the route I would take is this:

CPCDiskXP to transfer the dsk from pc to 3.5"
Then use a disc copier on CPC such as Discology; something that can handle copy protections (well most).
Use this to copy from 3.5" to 3" on CPC.
Then you can use the disc directly on the +3.

Yes, a 3.5" drive can be used on the +3, with the same kinds of "issues" as the CPC.
The cabling is simple if you can get one of those PC cables with edge connectors for 5.25" drives.

On the +3 you will probably need an equivalent "ABBA" switch (to make the 3.5" drive behave as drive A - some +3 software may assume it is being run from drive A), and of course a compatible 3.5" drive that has the needed READY signal for the internal floppy disc controller.

I find this is a good site:
ZX Zone

EDIT: I actually have a +3 myself, but it doesn't have working 3" drive.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

protek

Thanks! Have to get the Discology. Where can I find an UK version or is the French version easy enough to use for us who don't parley?

Bryce

You can download many versions here: discology 3 3 uk 1989, download this ROM for Amstrad CPC - The Game Archives

Version 3.3 is the last English version, but the French version is easy to use, even without perfect French.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: protek on 11:48, 07 August 12
Thanks! Have to get the Discology. Where can I find an UK version or is the French version easy enough to use for us who don't parley?

Yeah, it's easy enough - everything is in the same position; if you've used Discology in the past you'll have no problems, it's like riding a bicycle :D

Unfortunately I think the latest versions of Discology were only released in French, but for your purposes it shouldn't matter.

As for downloads, here you go: Discology - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community & Encyclopedia! (also, now uploaded to the Forum's Uploads section.)

protek

McKlain

MacDeath

QuoteThis is possible because both disc formats are CPM based.
Would a CPM programm on a 3" disk be compatible with PCW, CPC and Speccy then, provided they all run "compatible" CP/M version  ?

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:11, 08 August 12
Would a CPM programm on a 3" disk be compatible with PCW, CPC and Speccy then, provided they all run "compatible" CP/M version  ?

I would think so, yes, it's got a large enough TPA (48K??) and, IIRC, CP/M was quite compatible all around (except for those programs that contained Z80 instructions the 8080 could not understand).

I think you need to define some system parameters at boot time, though, such as screen control etc. This could prove problematic if you tried to run a program designed for a different resolution? Just theorising here, I'm really not very familiar with CP/M...

SyX

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:11, 08 August 12
Less arcade and more interactive fiction games MacDeath  :P

MacDeath

Gryzor