News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

building the aleste 520ex (cpc/msx russian clone)

Started by Sebastian Blanco, 01:23, 01 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

deepfb

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 17:26, 18 February 20
Another doubt i have was that theres no power plug in the board, but lucky a russian user got me this information:
goodboy from zxpk.ru told me that power +5v must be feed into the board using the holes close to C20i marked them in yellow on the shematic linked below:

That's not the new board layout, but the original Aleste PCB by Patisonic. You may feed the board into any +5V rail, though.

Bryce

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 17:26, 18 February 20
Another doubt i have was that theres no power plug in the board, but lucky a russian user got me this information:
goodboy from zxpk.ru told me that power +5v must be feed into the board using the holes close to C20i marked them in yellow on the shematic linked below:

I don't have one of these boards, but I might be able to assist with general questions if you have any.

Bryce.

Sebastian Blanco

All help will be welcome Brice :D.
Also yuriy_sazonov from the zx-pk forum told me this:"Hello !
As I see you have a board version 1.004, which means that it does not needed any correction.
For the first start, I recommend not to install a coil "DR2""

That was what i need to start so no corrections required to the board, now what the DR2 coil does and why is not recommended to start i have to check the schematics.

Bryce

I don't have any board at all, so I definitely don't need to make any changes :D (except maybe buy one?)
Greetings back to Yuriy from me too.

Bryce.

Sebastian Blanco

Quote from: Bryce on 10:40, 20 February 20
I don't have any board at all, so I definitely don't need to make any changes :D (except maybe buy one?)
Greetings back to Yuriy from me too.

Bryce.
Sorry Bryce was not referring to you about that they where to completely separated comments.
The yuri thing was just to add the info to the thread i case someone else find it useful.

Bryce

I was actually considering buying one of his boards, so the comment is still valid, even if it wasn't particularly directed to me. :)

Bryce.

vk5hbl

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 17:39, 18 February 20
Hi do you already started the build ?

Yes i have started soldering it up, Unfortunately the seller of the kit only sent about half the ic sockets required to build it up.
So currently waiting for them to arrive from china.

I will report back and maybe post some pictures once i have progressed a little bit further.

Darren

deepfb

Quote from: deepfb on 18:17, 18 February 20

That's not the new board layout, but the original Aleste PCB by Patisonic. You may feed the board into any +5V rail, though.
Llopis has sent me pictures of the board he has just received -and the PCB kit they are now selling is not the 'Aleste 2018' model, but a replica of the original board. So the form factor does not fit on the Elektronika MSxxxx casing.

If anybody is buying one of these boards, please take this into account. The 'Aleste 2018' is more square-shaped than the original, and I am not sure if the keyboards are exchangable between them. The original PCB is easily recognizable by the edge connectors on the back and the RAM ICs close to the bottom-right corner.
Aleste 2018 PCB:

Original Aleste PCB:

llopis

And here's a picture of the one I just received:

Bryce

Where can you order them and what do they cost?

Bryce.

llopis

Quote from: Bryce on 12:22, 23 February 20
Where can you order them and what do they cost?
It costs $117 including shipping with tracking.
I ordered it from Tetroid. I don't know if he's in this forum. I had ordered a kit for the Pentagon 128K Spectrum from him a couple of years back, so I already had his email address. I can put you in touch with him if he's not here.

Bryce

I won't buy it just yet as funds are low, but I've added it to my "why not?" list.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

It certainly looks very tempting to buy one  :)

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

VintageAdvantage

You guys are so brave trying to get that Russian hodgepodge to work, with so little documentation and Russian chip names and what have you!
Good luck, you guys are heroes!!   8)

Sebastian Blanco

i have successfully build another kit that i got from vitaly for the pentagon 2014 so wish this one will be as easy.

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 21:21, 24 February 20
the pentagon 2014

The Pentagon - Love it!! Maybe I'll call my next computer replica the Kremlin - made in the USA!  8) ;D :laugh: 
Those Russian hacker dudes have a good sense of humor for sure!

Sebastian Blanco

Hey guys someone have build the kit ?, i still have to do mine  :picard:

llopis

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 04:41, 13 September 20
Hey guys someone have build the kit ?, i still have to do mine  :picard:
I haven't yet. I've been waiting until I can find a keyboard and case for it, but so far no luck.

Sebastian Blanco

Quote from: llopis on 08:56, 13 September 20
I haven't yet. I've been waiting until I can find a keyboard and case for it, but so far no luck.
The keyboard luckly can be sourced brand new and is cheap !, i already got one months ago.https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-soviet-ELEKTRONIKA-MC-computer-IBM-keyboard-MS7007-NOS-NIB-sealed-new/333300714817?hash=item4d9a454d41:g:VSUAAOSweW5U-vF0

llopis

Quote from: Sebastian Blanco on 15:29, 14 September 20
The keyboard luckly can be sourced brand new and is cheap !, i already got one months ago.https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-soviet-ELEKTRONIKA-MC-computer-IBM-keyboard-MS7007-NOS-NIB-sealed-new/333300714817?hash=item4d9a454d41:g:VSUAAOSweW5U-vF0
I saw that, but I was holding out hoping to find a case too. What are your plans for a case? 3D print one? I've been waiting for a while and nothing shows up on Ebay for a reasonable price, so maybe that's the way to go. As a bonus, we can put the openings in the back in the right locations.

Sebastian Blanco

About the case i was thinking like you getting a quorum silver case (is the same this system use only different ports in the back) but after seeing how expensive this will be. Now i fell like will do my own case, i have done it before got something that look computerish and then use laser cut acrylic for the ports in the back etc.Also if you get any old russian computer a brand new keyboard is a great addition usually they are very beat up from use, the quality of the keyboards is low.

This is my pentagon 128 for the case i used a jvc video mixer also pictured

Bryce

You could almost tell people that it's a Philips HitBit HB75-P prototype and they'd probably believe you! :D

Bryce.

villain

Quote from: Bryce on 09:22, 15 September 20
You could almost tell people that it's a Philips HitBit HB75-P prototype and they'd probably believe you! :D

Bryce.
:-D Just paint a red reset-button on the top!

Sebastian Blanco

Bite the bullet, and started the build.Now the ram chips they are tightly packed !, to be able to fit the sockets i have to shave plastic from the sides on all of them, ended up using precision sockets for the included sockets in the kit are too flimsy for my taste to do this.

All sockets soldered now the fun stuff soldering resistors  :P