News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

C4CPC 3D printed cartridge

Started by gerald, 12:08, 16 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Munchausen

Hi Mathias, great that you can join the forum and speak to us directly, what a great attitude!

I was wondering, why is it not possible to order one from i.materialise to be delivered to the UK using the offer? Because they normally do offer UK delivery. Is it just because of the extra expense that it is not available in this offer?

Thanks again. BTW I will definitely look at your company first next time I want to get something printed :D

TotO

There is a link to directly order the C4CPC shell at All3DP ?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Mathias

Hello @Munchhausen: You are right. Ordering with i.materialise should work for UK and has already worked in the past.
Have you already ordered? (We have one order for UK here via Shapeways).
If not, you may try it again and be careful when entering the adress. For UK adresses i.materialise asks for the regional county.
However this should not be an issue of extra expenses, because we cover them.

@Toto: As soon as we know, that the orders of the single-object (onepiece) file are well received by our printing partners we will try to give you a direct link. We will give an update here, if that is o.k. with the forum rules.

Munchausen

Quote from: TotO on 14:05, 04 February 16
There is a link to directly order the C4CPC shell at All3DP ?

No you have to click on the $1 offer and upload the file.

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

I, for one, am suitably impressed they got on here to give feedback!

dodogildo

I can't believe how powerful, talented and reliable this community is! Great job @Gryzor and everybody.
M'enfin!

TFM

Would it be possible to print 100 Cartridge cases too, if they would be connected as one part? Could somebody do this?

Well, I got 100 pieces of Cartridge PCBs with original ACID on it ready to go to be used for releasing new Plus games.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Mathias

Hello,
this is Mathias from All3DP again.
To those of you, who have been interested in the C4CPC 3D printed cartridge: The updated model C4CPC_OnePiece.stl is fine for printing. However with the material finish "velvet" at i.materialise there is an issue. Therefore please choose different material finishes in case you want to order.
Thank you!

OCT

Quote from: Mathias on 18:57, 05 February 16this is Mathias from All3DP again.
To those of you, who have been interested in the C4CPC 3D printed cartridge: The updated model C4CPC_OnePiece.stl is fine for printing. However with the material finish "velvet" at i.materialise there is an issue. Therefore please choose different material finishes in case you want to order.
Thanks for your great reponsiveness and attention to detail!

As discussed in a previous page of this thread C4CPC 3D printed cartridge, Alumide might also look just great (to match our "computer grey"/beige matte ancient machines), and the way I understand the datasheet https://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/material_docs/mds-alumide.pdf (in spite of superscript barely recognisable as such on the GigOhms) and Shapeways Blog - A new 3D printing material: Alumide in spite of some metal content does not seem to be electrically conductive (over significant distances - or is it?).

So the remaining question is whether Alumide's mechanical properties would be any obstacle to switching this to Dyed Raw at i.materialise or Solid Polished at sculpteo - what are your thoughts on this?

gerald

Quote from: Mathias on 18:57, 05 February 16
I've just had a look at what is the velvet fisnish ans I must say :
- It will add up to 2mm to the overall size of the cartridge => will not fit within the slot !  :picard:
- I am not sure the aspect will stay after multiple cartridge manipulation

OCT

Quote from: gerald on 20:39, 05 February 16the velvet finish [...] will add up to 2mm to the overall size of the cartridge => will not fit within the slot !  :picard:
- I am not sure the aspect will stay after multiple cartridge manipulation
I guess most of us weren't aware it's supposed to be a post-fab add-on rather than a property of that particular powder.

KaosOverride

KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

OCT

gerald

Munchausen

I got a message from Matthias at All3DP to tell me that the two parts broke apart after printing at shapeways and asking whether to send them on anyway. I told him yes, and from the picture he sent they look great:

gerald

Quote from: Munchausen on 12:16, 09 February 16
I got a message from Matthias at All3DP to tell me that the two parts broke apart after printing at shapeways and asking whether to send them on anyway. I told him yes, and from the picture he sent they look great:
It would be good to know if Shapeways will accept the model with this issue. If I was them, I would not because you end up with 2 pieces instead of one.
Then a suggestion on the link design so you still can break them, but strong enough for the manufacturing process.

ukmarkh

So what's the link to buy one of these, and which Cart Holder do people on here consider the better option?

That C4CPC looks and feels very vulnerable without protection  :-[ 

gerald

Quote from: ukmarkh on 12:56, 09 February 16
So what's the link to buy one of these, and which Cart Holder do people on here consider the better option?
On the 1st post you will find link to Shapeways / scuplteo
For the 1$ offer, you will have to use the file posted on this message : C4CPC 3D printed cartridge
And use it on 3D Printing Service Price Comparison | All3DP

However it may be rejected (see previous post)

andycadley

I went with the Shapeways one and it's great. Definitely would feel more confident about using it in my 6128+ now it's in the case, it looked to likely to break before so I only tried it in a GX (where gravity is less of an issue!)

Now I need to make space to set my Plus up!

ukmarkh

I desperately want one of these, I don't have any space anymore, all of my retro stuff is in storage, so the GX4000 nestled tightly under the telly is a perfect option for me to continue CPC gaming and adventuring. The case is to protect it from form 7 month year old daughter, who has already gummed my PS3 and PS4 to death on each corner  :'(   

Dizrythmia

I've just ordered one too. $1.46AU is not a bad price to pay :)

I've just been reading everyone else's experiences & I'm hoping it all gets accepted!

Mathias

Hi all, this is Mathias from All3DP.
First thanks to those of you, who have ordered the cartridges. They are in production now and will be shipped as announced.

Second: My colleague Bulent in the editorial team over here at All3DP loved your story so much, that he wrote an article about it. See here:
3D Printed Cartridges for Amstrad GX4000 Games Console | All3DP
I hope, you enjoy it. And please feel free to comment or add your experiences.

Thanks!
Mathias

Gryzor

Oooh love the post :) My regards to Bulent!

dodogildo

Great post. Selam to Bülent.
M'enfin!