News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Getting started with a 6128

Started by djdarren123, 20:52, 31 July 10

Previous topic - Next topic

djdarren123

Hi everybody, my name is Darren and I'm new to all this cpc scene.

Well actually, not new as such, as I owned 2 CPCs, a CPC464 and a CPC6128 as a kid from 1985 - 1990.

Now I'm looking to have a CPC to relive some fond memories of back then.

I'm getting a CPC 6128, with no monitor, and I'm planning on connecting it to a modern screen. I've seen the SD card conversion and I'm planning on doing that, and I've found the resources on the net to download the old games in .dsk format.

What I need to know is what capacity sd card the cpc can handle? I want to put all the games i want on one sd card and load up the one i want on the cpc.. how do i do this??

Gryzor

Given that  a big drawback (IMHO) of the HxC floppy emulator is that it takes a lowly disk image and turns it into a megabyte monster, go for a big one.

I think I have a 4GB for mine...

PS Oh! And welcome :)

Cholo

Well, dont worry too much about the size of the SD card, as you probably wont use much space anyways. Depends on how you use it of cause. You can use the manager software to navigate quickly .. but if are navigating manually using the buttons .. imagine how long it will take to navigate if i put 500 images on my 500mb SD card? 10 mins? 20? Even a 50mb SD card would be ok, as you quickly realise it isnt worth having too many files on the card  :laugh:

Shredder11

I've had my HxC SD Floppy interface for nearly two months now, but last week I finally managed to buy a couple of 16GB cards at a reasonable price.  I nearly always go for Sandisk but on this occasion I decided to try Kingston.  I wanted a large size so it would hopefully hold everything on one card for my CPC6128, Spectrum +3 128K, Atari STE, Atari Falcon 030 and anything else I might get.

Once the 32GB cards become cheaper I will move everything onto one of those.
Amstrad CPC6128, 3.5" Ext' Floppy, SD HxC Floppy Emulator

Ynot.zer0

I was using a 256Mb (yes, you read that correct) mini SD plugged into a large SDCard adaptor and was more than happy using that with the HxC SDCard floppy emulator.  I was using this card when I was manually selecting the files using the buttons.

Now, I have a Transcend 2Gb Card (now costs about £10 in the UK!) which I'm sure will be more than enough for pretty much every Amstrad related piece of software that I'd want to use on my Amstrad CPC 6128.

I'm been using the HXC file manager software (as mentioned earlier) and I must admit it is much much much easier to use to select the DSK(.hfe) file to load into the drive on the next restart.  This little device has breathed much more life into an old CPC and SFII that was previously just gathering dust.  8)