News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CentPourCent.net / Warning about reselling my boards!

Started by TotO, 13:04, 28 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Quote from: gerald on 20:55, 28 September 15

Also, I think TotO is able to prevent this by ignoring order from people that are known to do so.

You've just hit the nail on the head. You can't stop anyone from selling items they own, but you can police who you sell boards to. You can also make your own boards available on Ebay so people can see the price difference themselves. They simply wouldn't be able to get away with selling the items at a more expensive price because the creator will always be able to undercut them. Problem solved.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Well, that's probably the best idea up to now. Also people who like to give you some credit for your great work can bid a bit more than usual.  ;)

TotO, please don't allow such people to have negative impact on your moods. The CPC scene needs you and your work!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TotO on 21:10, 28 September 15
Hello my friends. Thank you for your kind messages and searching about a solution.  8)
I'm sorry to distrubing you with that. I think that I will have to be visible on ebay to avoid the problem.

Visibility on Ebay is the only way I am afraid but it will be very effective on your part because your items will always be cheaper!

Also include a URL on the board itself. I've seen a number of wonderful boards recently that have no ID or URL on them. People go to all the effort of making something gorgeous and then no URL or ID on the board.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Hi,
    although I can feel for TotO, it really isn't a nice thing to do, at least not without asking permission, there really is nothing stopping them from doing this and it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. You left yourself a bit open to this ToTO. But I don't think banning or anything is really suitable. I think the collective voice of the community should make them reconsider their position in the community and their business model. The seller(s) weren't just selling their own unit because they were short on cash, they offer them as stock from their shop.

They also happen to be members here.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Did I miss something? I guess a ripoff merchant has hit @TotO on Ebay,

I just checked and I see nothing so at least it's not a on all ebays (I use .IE obviously)

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

robcfg

I have an idea, maybe it's not too practical, but an idea nonetheless.

Why not use the silk mask to put the original price and a warning stating "If you pay more than xxx, then you're quite stupid"?

As for people reselling hardware... They are in their right, so if people isn't going to take their time to google the device name and check if there are better options, it's also totally their fault and I will feel no pain about them throwing their money away.

TotO for the win!  8)

andycadley

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 21:12, 28 September 15

You've just hit the nail on the head. You can't stop anyone from selling items they own, but you can police who you sell boards to. You can also make your own boards available on Ebay so people can see the price difference themselves. They simply wouldn't be able to get away with selling the items at a more expensive price because the creator will always be able to undercut them. Problem solved.

Easier said than done. People "sell" things on eBay at inflated prices then order it directly from the original seller to go to the eBay customer directly. Most people don't check the paperwork that comes with it, so don't notice any discrepancies. The really bad ones do the purchase with a stolen credit card (so called drop-ship scams) to rake in even more profit whilst being harder to track down. It's a particularly nasty problem because then even if they undercharge, they still make profit.

The best approach is to be visible in the places where the sales occur, make it known that you are the original producer and the best place to buy from. And keep an eye out for anyone selling too good to be true prices, reporting them as you see fit.

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 22:51, 28 September 15The seller(s) weren't just selling their own unit because they were short on cash
Then, resell with a "close" price... It is not funny to see that you paied twice for items known to be finally always availables.
I have other examples on the CPC community (GX4000, RAM Card, ...). Peoples look sad after knowing that... Who's the next?
If any money problem, users may return some boards to me. I can understand and I will refund to save time building new one.  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

reidrac

Quote from: robcfg on 23:22, 28 September 15
Why not use the silk mask to put the original price and a warning stating "If you pay more than xxx, then you're quite stupid"?

First of all, all my sympathy and support to TotO; unfortunately there's always the smart-ass going for the easy buck.

I don't think calling "stupid" to the buyer that didn't do anything wrong is nice. Perhaps they don't know any better, I'm a newbie here and still don't quite understand these boards to even know if I want one.

The good side of this is that if someone is bothering to resell things in eBay I guess... there's a market for the product!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TotO

centpourcent.net is a commodity for forum users, so I have hidden it from the search engine to stay confidential.
My goal was not to do business and I think that was enough like that because I have built around 400 boards for you since two years.
Yes a market exist, and you can see that some other peoples restarted to build expansions (MX4 format) since months.
But... Have I to take profit about this market? I'm not sure. I will be bored if I'm no more enjoyed to do it as hobby...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

The Last Bandit

It sucks but you can't stop somebody reselling on hardware, they own it and can do what they like..

You can however cut of their supply chain and undercut them on price online.  You know the guy flipping them from profit so obviously stop supplying him, doesn't matter if he has them listed on his website if he can no longer get stock to flip.

How many boards has this guy already bought ? Not worth losing sleep over if its only a few boards.

Please don't go adding price info or other irrelevant nonsense to the silkscreen it'll just make them look unprofessional and tacky.

robcfg

Quote from: reidrac on 08:05, 29 September 15
First of all, all my sympathy and support to TotO; unfortunately there's always the smart-ass going for the easy buck.

I don't think calling "stupid" to the buyer that didn't do anything wrong is nice. Perhaps they don't know any better, I'm a newbie here and still don't quite understand these boards to even know if I want one.

The good side of this is that if someone is bothering to resell things in eBay I guess... there's a market for the product!

Don't take everything at face value. I was suggesting that the price will be printed in the silk mask or in the copper layer, so it cannot be hidden and if it is, you'll know they are trying to sell it overpriced.

If people would still buy it, I'll be still thinking they're stupid...

Shining

....and the seller has the nerve to mark all of the boards as special price. (Does this mean special high ?)

I don't understand such people  :( .
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

Phantomz

Quote from: TotO on 13:04, 28 September 15
As you know, CentPourCent.net is a commodity to pre-order boards.
I use my free time since two years to build them for the CPC community. (MotherX4, X-MEM, ...)

Understand that I definitively not waste this time to allow peoples to make money on my back, asking twice the price!
From today, I definitively reconsiderate my activity. I will let you know more later.

I fully understand your frustration and I'd be annoyed if it was me.  >:(

I've been using my free time to do the gx4000 conversions, for the cpc community, but at least people can't profit from the time and effort I've put in,
unless someone does the same thing to Gerald, which I hope they don't.  >:(

I understand people can sell whatever they own, but the big mark up takes the (censored) I hate it when people buy to sell and ruin it for people that love using retro computers etc.

I hope you don't stop making your items because of this, as I would like to get some bits from you in the not to distant future, not to sure what everything does, so not sure what I need yet.  :)

Bryce

As always, all things will be ripped off. There's a guy on ebay selling Goteks with Jeffs Firmware pre-installed. I doubt he's buying licenses from Jeff for each one. There are others that will make bootleg cartridges from your GX4000 conversion work. I've had my designs ripped off too by others. It happens. I've changed they way I publish projects since then, but that still won't stop someone from selling things on for higher prices or reverse engineering it to build their own for sale.

The same person that's trying to resell ToTOs hardware is also trying to sell the domain CPCWiki.com on ebay :D

Bryce.

The Last Bandit

Quote from: Bryce on 14:34, 29 September 15
The same person that's trying to resell ToTOs hardware is also trying to sell the domain CPCWiki.com on ebay :D

Bryce.

At least he's not charge for postage on it  ;D 

Bryce

He's also trying to sell Cyberchicken for €50!

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, and since the cpcwiki.com domain was mentioned, maybe it's worth revisiting the story: Kangaroo MusiQue - CPCWiki

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:56, 29 September 15
Well, and since the cpcwiki.com domain was mentioned, maybe it's worth revisiting the story: Kangaroo MusiQue - CPCWiki

No it's not worth wasting time on, when we are actually here to discuss CPC hardware, software and general retro-computing.

Bryce.

Guy0me

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:56, 29 September 15
Wow i don't know the story about this guy impressive ! maybe he have an account on the forum  :o maybe he read us  >:(
You can do a movie with a story like that , try to sell it in hollywood  :D

Gryzor

Well, anyone can read the forum, whether registered or not. He has registered a couple of times here, but every time his shenanigans get him banned again. Oh, and he *has* read the thread since he actually favorited my tweet about TotO's boards :D

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 14:41, 29 September 15
He's also trying to sell Cyberchicken for €50!

Bryce.

What!? I didn't see or want a Penny from it to make the final price as small as possible. (And maybe it was too high anyway). But nobody will waste that much money for it.  ;D
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

majikeyric

TotO, I'm new to CPC scene, but you are definitively a hardware guru and a "pillar" for the CPC community and seem to be very appreciated too for your availability and kindness.

Then why not making some profit with your skill and passion ?

I come from the C64, where new hardware is really more expensive than the price you can sell yours.
I was very surprised by the low prices when I passed you my order.

It's a good thing for the CPC community of course but that mustn't kill your interest even if it's a hobby for you.

talrek

Well i already had this discussion with TotO about this time the Hack-it clone i made.
But it was my fault...
Someone (from the cpc scene, this is why i did that) ask me for buying 10 pieces. i thought it was for friends.
So i even made him a price for these 10. But after i saw him selling these on a french website, and on eBay more than twice the price i sold them....

So, yes i understand the feeling. What i've done ? i put the card on this website and eBay. it is a little more expensive (i added eBay commission and paypal) than here but i wanted to keep a better price for cpcwiki members.
But even more expensive (a little more only) it was 20€ Under his price... I think he didn't sell any... or maybe one... :D

CraigsBar

Quote from: talrek on 08:26, 30 September 15
Well i already had this discussion with TotO about this time the Hack-it clone i made.
But it was my fault...
Someone (from the cpc scene, this is why i did that) ask me for buying 10 pieces. i thought it was for friends.
So i even made him a price for these 10. But after i saw him selling these on a french website, and on eBay more than twice the price i sold them....

So, yes i understand the feeling. What i've done ? i put the card on this website and eBay. it is a little more expensive (i added eBay commission and paypal) than here but i wanted to keep a better price for cpcwiki members.
But even more expensive (a little more only) it was 20€ Under his price... I think he didn't sell any... or maybe one... :D
Teeheehee justice is served.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode