News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Connecting to TV converts sound-out to mono?

Started by mr_lou, 13:24, 18 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

I can connect a headset to the sound-out of my CPC+ and get stereo sound in the headset.

That is, until I also connect a TV to the monitor-out plug. Then the sound turns into mono in the headset.

Is this normal?
Is it because the monitor-cable shorts the left and right speaker?
Or is it the TV that's doing this?

Bryce

What cable and what TV are you using? The original setup (CPC+ / CM-Monitor) keep the channels seperated at all times. A proper CPC+ to SCART cable should also keep the signals seperated, so the question is: Is your TV stereo? How does it handle the to channels?

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 13:13, 19 July 15
What cable and what TV are you using? The original setup (CPC+ / CM-Monitor) keep the channels seperated at all times. A proper CPC+ to SCART cable should also keep the signals seperated, so the question is: Is your TV stereo? How does it handle the to channels?

Well I assume it's the default cable that was supplied with the machine...
But it was a silly question really.
I could plug in the cable and not the TV in order to test if it's the cable or the TV.
Seems to be the TV.
Not sure if the TV is a mono or stereo one. The speaker(s) seems to be in the front, so it's probably mono.

I suppose to be sure to keep the stereo, the monitor-cable should have had diodes, right?

Bryce

On any "normal" Audio system the answer would be "no", because you can't put diodes on an analogue audio signal as the current needs to flow in both directions. However, the CPC sound signals are always positive, so diodes should work.

Bryce.

Edit: I probably should add... As the diodes drop about 0.6V on each channel, the TV volume will need to be turned up a bit after the diodes have been added.