News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Convert CPC 6128 3" disc drive from internal to external

Started by betpet, 15:06, 23 February 21

Previous topic - Next topic

betpet

Is there a kit that can do this?  I replaced my drive with a Gotek but I thought it would be great if there was a kit that allowed me to convert the removed disc drive (or even the Gotek drive) into an external drive.  I've googled around and found the occasional cable and widget type conversion kits but nothing that would be a full on case you can either assemble or just slot the drive into.
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

eto

I prefer the Gotek outside and the original drive in my CPC. With an ABBA switch, you can easily select which one is A and B.

Couple of options I considered to get an external Gotek:

1) get a broken FD1
2) get a broken 3rd party Atari or Amiga external drive and use the case of it
3) get a (broken) 3.5" HDD case

2+3 require that you create an external cable
1+2 are not easy to get and maybe still expensive

I went for option 3. You can find them every now and then on Ebay for a few €. You just have to check that it's a drive, where the front can be removed and it's a size where a 3.5" fits in exactly. For the cable I bought an old Centronics printer cable as I have the German 6128 with Centronics port. Just a few pins needed to be adjusted and on the other side you can cut off the end and crimp the cable to a 34pin connector which connects to the Gotek.

Bryce

Quote from: betpet on 15:06, 23 February 21
Is there a kit that can do this?  I replaced my drive with a Gotek but I thought it would be great if there was a kit that allowed me to convert the removed disc drive (or even the Gotek drive) into an external drive.  I've googled around and found the occasional cable and widget type conversion kits but nothing that would be a full on case you can either assemble or just slot the drive into.

3D Print a case?

Bryce.

betpet

Cheers!  I'm limited as such since I have the Gotek internal drive installed already and I'm looking to refurbish the physical drive very soon. I was just hoping a kit existed where I can put one or the other into a case and use it as an external drive.
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

Bryce

The case will be the difficult part. For the PSU you can tap off the CPC supplies, the data cable can be bought on ebay or from someone here.

Bryce.

zebulon158

Hello Betpet,
Could you tell me where you found the cable to plug a 3" disc drive as external drive?
Thank you!

betpet

Sorry my friend, I'm still looking for one myself :(

zebulon158