News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Copy .dsk files using tape interface

Started by pysiek, 14:23, 18 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

pysiek

I am a novice in the world of the CPC. I have the original Schneider 6128 and several diskettes 3​​".
I would like for use them to save some the .dsk files downloaded from the Internet. Unfortunately I do not have any disk drive 3.5", or parallel interfaces, only notebook with WIN7.
Using the tape interface I can upload some games and other programs to my CPC.
How can I save the disk image to the oryginal CPC 6128 using  tape cable?
Is it possible?

Regards,
Pysiek

Badstarr

You could maybe use some tape to disk utilities. There will be more information on the wiki. The issue will be getting the utilities onto your CPC as they are likely in .dsk format. The other option would be to transfer your disk images to 3.5" floppies but as you are using a laptop I would guess that it does not have a floppy drive and a USB solution will not work unfortunately.

If you could install a 3.5 " floppy drive either as drive A or B on your CPC and use a friends PC that does have a floppy drive things are much easier. However, my own recommendation would be to buy an HxC floppy emulator and install it on your CPC here's a link http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=13 . Once installed its probably the most convenient way to transfer software between your laptop and your CPC via SDcard.

Finally you may be able to buy or build a ROM interface that would allow you to load software in ROM to transfer tape images and convert them to disk via your cassette adaptor. The best solution by far, in my opinion for using ROMs is Bryce's MegaFlash (again more details in the wiki). If you PM Bryce he may still have some available for sale. If not you can build your own if you are reasonably confident with soldering Bryce has kindly uploaded all the schematics etc on the diy section of the wiki.

Good luck finding a solution and welcome to the CPCwiki forums! :-)
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

arnoldemu

Quote from: pysiek on 14:23, 18 January 14
I am a novice in the world of the CPC. I have the original Schneider 6128 and several diskettes 3​​".
I would like for use them to save some the .dsk files downloaded from the Internet. Unfortunately I do not have any disk drive 3.5", or parallel interfaces, only notebook with WIN7.
Using the tape interface I can upload some games and other programs to my CPC.
How can I save the disk image to the oryginal CPC 6128 using  tape cable?
Is it possible?

Regards,
Pysiek

It is possible, but I don't know if there is a tool that currently does it.

It is a tool I was considering writing because I wanted the same and believed others would too.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource