News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 headphone socket

Started by ivarf, 23:28, 29 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

ivarf

I am reading the book Classic Videogame Hardware Genius Guide which is a good read. There the headphone socket  is mentioned. Supposedly early 464s didn't have this port. This is new to me. Can anyone confirm?

Bryce

I doubt that is correct. If you look here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/File:GA_motherboard.JPG you'll see that even the 464 prototypes had the sound out socket.

Bryce.

ivarf

Thanks! Never trust a journalist  ;)

unholy

Actually, I just stumbled upon this thread trying to find out why my 464 does not have an external sound connector... There is a 3.5mm jack, but it's NOT a sound-out port.

Badstarr

Are you sure there isn't a fault with it? My dad had one of the very first 464s and that definitely had the headphone socket. Is your 464 one of the early models or one of the later ones? I can't think of any reason why Amstrad would have installed an identical socket but use it for another purpose.
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Bryce

The only 3.5mm socket ever on a 464 was the sound port (It's beside the joystick port). It's also very difficult for this to be broken, unless the AY is broken and you're getting no sound at all? Otherwise there are only a few resistors in between, that I doubt could be damaged, unless someone has removed them.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Unholy (welcome!), bear in mind that this port is not amplified, it's meant to be used with an amp, not headphones. Make sure you turn the volume as high as it can get and maybe have it in a quiet room to be sure

As for the Genius book... not so genius, eh? :D

Bryce

The Amstrad volume knob has no effect on this output.

Bryce.

Gryzor

You, Sir, are right. Must have been the memories of trying to raise the volume as a kid :D

unholy

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:52, 03 September 12
bear in mind that this port is not amplified, it's meant to be used with an amp, not headphones.

Yeah... I figured that out... eventually. Turned out the volume level in the headphones was so low, it was effectively drowned out by the internal speaker. Plugged in a pair of powered PC speakers and all is well--except I feel like a right idiot.

Bryce

Every time we learn something, we're a little less of an idiot than we were yesterday. So you should actually feel much better :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Wow, wish I actually remembered that quote every time I feel like an idiot. You can feel the wisdom oozing from within.