News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 mod - oldie but a goodie

Started by 00WReX, 23:28, 13 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

00WReX

Hi All,

This is an old but good mod I noticed many years ago and only just recently stumbled across it again.
Many of you may have seen this one, but it is worth mentioning for those that have not.

Pictures are not good quality but I think that is due to the age as much as anything else...
I remember seeing this page over ten years ago so digital cameras have come a long way, especially cheap ones (that's if it was a digital camera).

I was surprised to see this page still online, so before it disappears forever...

Amstrad CPC Photos

Cheers,
Shane

*maybe I should capture this page and put it one the wiki somewhere...it's no tutorial, but worth keeping.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

MacDeath

the wires look messy but the technical configuration seems like a GOOD CPC with a funny keyboard.

Perhaps the only flaw is that it keeps the "464" CRTC.

Else, all is inside the box as it should have been from the egining (still at the dsame price) had Sir Sugar not be a penny reaper.

Bryce

Alan Sugar definitely couldn't have offered a 128K computer with floppy disk / controller and tapedeck for the same price. Otherwise some other manufacturer would have done it too.

Bryce.

MaV

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:14, 14 November 12
Perhaps the only flaw is that it keeps the "464" CRTC.
Looks like a cost-reduced version, so chances are good that it has a CRTC 1, AFAIK.

Excellent work, if a bit messy. That is more or less how a CPC 6128 should have looked like. As a child I was a bit frustrated that I needed an external cassette player to play cassette games especially since the motor control did not work on my player so I had to stop the tape by hand on some games (and disc games were expensive).
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

MacDeath

Quoteand disc games were expensive
Obviously Austria lacked seriously in the competent Hacker domain. :laugh:

Gryzor

Wow. Thanks so much for showing us this.

MaV

Quote from: MacDeath on 14:56, 14 November 12
Obviously Austria lacked seriously in the competent Hacker domain. :laugh:
* MaV Looks over his shoulder.
Au contraire, I only bought *cough*one*cough* disc game in the 80s, the rest *cough*...*cough*. But you'd want to buy a game occasionally, and shops had a greater selection of tapes and they were just cheaper.

Gryzor

Quote from: MaVAu contraire, I only bought *cough*one*cough* disc game in the 80s, 
Which one was it? :)

MacDeath

QuoteWhich one was it?
Discology.
:D

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:02, 14 November 12
Which one was it? :)
Academy (Tau Ceti II) - and the good thing beyond the game itself was that it had a fractal tree program on the B-side.

I had Discology as well, but it was *cough*borrowed.*cough* Stupid weather! *sneeze*

MacDeath

Discology was so powerefull it could copy itself...
Self replicant. :laugh:

Bryce

I have an original Tau Ceti Disk, but I never really understood or got into the game.

Bryce.

00WReX

Not sure if anyone noticed but these photos are sitting on the Trinity College Dublin, School of Mathematics server.

The person was Ian Dowse and I found an old page that refers to the Amstrad link / page in my initial post.

Ian Dowse's Projects Page

"http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~iedowse/projects.html";

This page is not that easy to find with a google search and got me thinking.
Does anyone else have any obscure links to Amstrad related stuff such as this.
Would be worth sharing if you do. Thanks.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeathDiscology was so powerefull it could copy itself...
Self replicant.
I seem to remember that only cracked versions of Discology would actually let you copy itself? Oh the irony, though I may be wrong; got to check my original Discology...

SyX

Quote from: 00WReX on 22:59, 14 November 12
This page is not that easy to find with a google search and got me thinking.
Does anyone else have any obscure links to Amstrad related stuff such as this.
Would be worth sharing if you do. Thanks.
I remember that page from a long time ago :)

And there was another spaghetti CPC from an australian CPC user, i don't remember the link, but i'm sure that it had a lot of yellow wires and a lot of screens of seminude women in a green monitor.

But my favourite lost web site, it was a pink french site full with z80 assembly sources, if only i had downloaded it...