News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpc 464 motherboard power requirement ?

Started by retro_4_ever, 17:31, 01 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_4_ever

can you power the motherboard direct without the tape deck circuit by inserting 5 volt to the output pin of the tape connector or do all those capacitors etc have some relevance for the power line to the motherboard .... if this is possible what sort of circuit would be required to feed a suitable audio signal to the audio ouput pin  to load software .. ?   

Bryce

You can power the 464 from the normal power socket by just shorting pins 1 and 3 on the tape deck socket to power the CPC without the tapedeck connected.

Bryce.

Liartes

VintageAdvantage has post a convenient picture showing which pin you must connect to bypass the tape deck, see this thread https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/cpc-464-suddenly-not-powering-up/

retro_4_ever

seems crazy that there is no power regulation / filtering ..guess this is why my cheap Chinese switching power supplies give off screen interference..  thinking about making a mini cpc with a audio input and no tape deck at all .. ** i wont be destroying a good example it will be one that is in very poor shape..

Bryce

Quote from: retro_4_ever on 15:43, 03 September 20
seems crazy that there is no power regulation / filtering ..guess this is why my cheap Chinese switching power supplies give off screen interference..  thinking about making a mini cpc with a audio input and no tape deck at all .. ** i wont be destroying a good example it will be one that is in very poor shape..

The computer was designed to be used with the Amstrad monitor, where all the regulation occurs. It would have been better to put the regulation in the computer, but they decided otherwise.

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 17:49, 03 September 20
The computer was designed to be used with the Amstrad monitor, where all the regulation occurs. It would have been better to put the regulation in the computer, but they decided otherwise.

Bryce.
They mainly decided to put the heating elements in the monitor rather than in the computer, like with the pc1512, which is not such a bad idea.
The bad idea is to buy the cheapest supply from china and risk your 35years old computer life with it !

retro_4_ever

cheap power supplies from china VS 35 year old unregulated technology ... probably  on par with each over !

gerald

Quote from: retro_4_ever on 21:45, 03 September 20
cheap power supplies from china VS 35 year old unregulated technology ... probably  on par with each over !
No, you did not get it. The monitor includes a regulated supply dedicated to the CPC and the monitor is part of the CPC.
So there is no point in having a regulator in the CPC.
What's amazing is that 35 years later, you can still find so called regulated (yes switching is supposed to be regulated) supply on the market that are only good for powering a regulator ....

Sorry to tell you : you got what you paid for.

retro_4_ever

well ive never seen a cpc monitor close up... well thats a lie i spent my younger years in dixons/boots etc messing with the computers..and its only 35 years later that i could afford a amstrad cpc .. we had spectrums   :) :) :)   ...