News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpc 464 power supply ??

Started by retro_4_ever, 17:58, 27 August 20

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_4_ever

any recommendation for cheap power supply for theses  puppies ? they only require  5 volt 2 amp but the cheap ones all show noise interference on the video .. no interference when i connect a pc ATX supply.. this seems a little overkill though ...

protek

I bought a Mean Well unit that provides 5V at 4 Amps. A good choice if you're planning to install expansions.
https://www.meanwell-web.com/en-gb/ac-dc-industrial-desktop-adaptor-output-5vdc-at-4a-gst25a05--p1j

John_Vella

Skunkfish

An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

retro_4_ever

thanks guys,,, great links i will have a good look later ... yeh i make my own RGB leads as i have found issues with the standard method of creating a blanking signal from the composite sync ie some models seem to experience random jumps if you dont have a 100uf cap in the scart but if you have the cap the jumping stops but then they are prone to ghosting .. so i remove the  luminnance  signal  from the din and use the pin and stick voltage from the power rail via a resistor to pull the voltage down .. (i think the model i experienced this on was the very early one)

Bryce

By the way, using a PC PSU on a CPC is a really bad idea. These can supply >16A on the 5V rail, so any simple failure (RAM) or short circuit would evaporate the traces off the PCB and the computer would be unrepairable.

Bryce.

John_Vella

Quote from: Skunkfish on 11:25, 28 August 20
My site is now selling power supplies for the CPC 464:
https://www.cpcstore.co.uk/product/power-supply-for-amstrad-cpc-464-664-6128-5v-2-5a-uk-plug-/14?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=5

Sorry, I didn't even know that this shop existed until I saw your post.

Forget my eBay link, get it from this guy!

retro_4_ever

Quote from: Bryce on 13:22, 28 August 20
By the way, using a PC PSU on a CPC is a really bad idea. These can supply >16A on the 5V rail, so any simple failure (RAM) or short circuit would evaporate the traces off the PCB and the computer would be unrepairable.

Bryce.

this is true if a major fault was to happen ... although i do have fuses installed inline .. not sure if the fuse would go before the mother board to be honest.. i have been researching how create a circuit that will cut out above a preset current like a bench supply.. but i have yet to understand how i can accomplish this ...

retro_4_ever

these didn't make the grade !!!!

Bryce

Quote from: retro_4_ever on 16:17, 28 August 20

this is true if a major fault was to happen ... although i do have fuses installed inline .. not sure if the fuse would go before the mother board to be honest.. i have been researching how create a circuit that will cut out above a preset current like a bench supply.. but i have yet to understand how i can accomplish this ...
An LM317 and a few passives are all you need to limit the current. Google "LM317 current limiter" and you'll get example circuits and the algorithms needed to set it up.

Bryce.

Skunkfish

Quote from: retro_4_ever on 16:04, 03 September 20

just ordered a couple of these..  :)
They've just been shipped, should be with you on Monday hopefully!
If they're not what you are after then you can always return them for a full refund!  :D
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

retro_4_ever

good stuff .... i had a look around the net and they are well priced .. and good spec