News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 - Do ROM's work in slots over 7?

Started by SlartibartfastBB, 11:36, 29 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

SlartibartfastBB

Hi,
I have a CPC 464 and have a ROM expansion board.  With this board, you can switch between ROM slots 0-7 and 8-15.  The ROM's seem to work fine in 0-7 but in 8-15, they are found but are 'not active'.  Is this a 464 software thing?  I can replicate this on an emulator.  I've attached a screenshot using x-ddos |help command to list the ROMS.  I've loaded that same ROM at slots 3 and 10, but only 3 is mapped to memory

Thanks..

Skunkfish

Good source of information here: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Category:Expansion_ROM

You're correct that only 0-7 are initialised by the firmware on a 464.
By the way, is the screenshot from an emulator - if so, which one?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

TotO

Exactly. The FW1.0 init ROM7 to ROM0.
If your ROM board allow that, you can put the FW3.0 and BASIC 1.1 instead to init ROM 15 to ROM0.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

SlartibartfastBB

Quote from: Skunkfish on 14:50, 29 November 21
Good source of information here: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Category:Expansion_ROM

You're correct that only 0-7 are initialised by the firmware on a 464.
By the way, is the screenshot from an emulator - if so, which one?
I'm using Retro Virtual Machine.  Its my goto Emulator for OSX. 

SlartibartfastBB

Quote from: TotO on 16:21, 29 November 21If your ROM board allow that, you can put the FW3.0 and BASIC 1.1 instead to init ROM 15 to ROM0.
So it looks like as I can only select 0-7 or 8-15, If I want to use 8-15 on the 464, I need to remove/replace the BASIC ROM that is on the motherboard and also update the firmware (somehow). 

I have two questions: 1, Can you point me to info on how to update the firmware, and 2, Where can I get X-MEM? I've been looking everywhere for one!!!

Bryce

Quote from: SlartibartfastBB on 09:51, 30 November 21
So it looks like as I can only select 0-7 or 8-15, If I want to use 8-15 on the 464, I need to remove/replace the BASIC ROM that is on the motherboard and also update the firmware (somehow). 

I have two questions: 1, Can you point me to info on how to update the firmware, and 2, Where can I get X-MEM? I've been looking everywhere for one!!!

No, with FW3.3 and Basic 1.1 you can access 0-7 AND 8-15.

Bryce.