News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 plus cassette mod - need some help. (Solved)

Started by AmstradNoob, 13:57, 19 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

AmstradNoob

I'm at the lower end of novice when it comes to electronics.

I'm having great trouble with this mod - http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY_Plus_Tape_Socket

I purchased an cassette cable from ebay, so I'm assuming it's wired up correctly.

I've managed to solder up everything, but I can't get the remote part to work correctly. I'm using a magazine cover tape to test with.

I can get the loading menu to load just fine. The loading menu is supposed to pause the tape I think, because the relay clicks, but the tape doesn't pause, it just keeps on playing.

Could someone please rework the diagram for a complete noob like me? Showing which points actually go to where on a 5pin din socket from the soldering side, just like on the 6128. Also, where to wire up on a relay switch? I'm using one like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-12V-Mini-PCB-Relay-SPDT-5-Pin-Packs-of-1-2-5-or-10-Free-Postage/122195388493 (Please cut and paste the link, it'll work then.)

That way, I'll know for sure it's something screwy with my working, or something else.

Thanks in advance!

Bryce

If the relay is clicking you've done 90% correct. The Normally Open contacts of the relay should be connected to pins 1 and 3 (the top two pins) of the cassette socket. Without knowing what relay you used it's difficult to give you a more detailed description.

Bryce.

AmstradNoob

Thanks - please cut and paste the link. It'll work then, and you'll know which relay I've used. The title says, "5V / 12V Mini PCB Relay SPDT 5 Pin". I ordered a 5V one, and that's what I received.

I've believe I've wired up the relay correctly to pins 1 and 3. The tape decks (I've tried two different makes) just keep on going.

Bryce

These two pins need to go to pins 1 and 3 of the socket.
Bryce.

AmstradNoob

Thanks.

That's what I have done, and if it doesn't matter which way around they are, I wonder why when it clicks, the cassette decks aren't pausing.

Bryce

Does the tape only start turn when you press the space bar? If so everything is correct, because the tape wouldn't even load the first section if the relay hadn't actuated and switched the motor on.

Bryce.

AmstradNoob

No, the motor works straight away. (I wasn't sure how the Amstrad handles tapes, since this is my first one)

AmstradNoob

I've now checked the continuity of my soldering. Everything seems fine, no bridges as far as I can tell.

The relay may be clicking, but it's not controlling the pause function at all. The ends of the cable are fine as well. They match up, with the points of the port, like they should.

So, I've no idea what is wrong - since I have very limited knowledge on the matter.

tjohnson

Check continuity on the relay with and without power you should only get continuity when powered I presume.

AmstradNoob

I've a feeling it's a problem with my cassette recorder, rather than my circuit. I'm going to test it on a different retro computer.

AmstradNoob

It turned out that the Pause button on my tape deck, needs to be pressed first!  :picard:

All other tape decks I've used, you didn't have to do that.

Thanks for the help though! It's really appreciated. Without knowing for sure I'd wired up the circuit correctly, I didn't even think there was something wrong/different about the tape deck.

tjohnson

Oh weird so if pause is pressed then it will pause with the relay? that is a little strange.

AmstradNoob

Yes. Pressing play and pause, means everything works as you'd expect. I've looked up the manual now, and it even mentions it there.

Bryce

Quote from: tjohnson on 13:08, 22 December 18
Oh weird so if pause is pressed then it will pause with the relay? that is a little strange.

The relay will always be switching, but some (rare) cassette decks needed the pause button pressed for the remote input to be used.

Bryce.