News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DDI-1 on a budget?

Started by twox, 19:25, 10 March 19

Previous topic - Next topic

twox

Some time ago i was disassembling an old PC (in near complete dark and -10C), and now i happen to be in possesion of mitsumi d359t5 disk drive (confirmed working). The ribbon cable has 2 sets of those connectors:
To my (amateur) eye it looks like it should work with CPC.
Now to make it work i need a DDI, obviously. The problem is that the originals are rare and excruciatingly expensive (the one i found on Polish auction site had a price of 3 WORKING 6128!!!), and modern clones are.. not that cheap as well.

My question is - how can i get a DDI interface for cheap? I dont need any of those flashy features like sd card slots, id go with a bare PCB with two connectors - one from CPC, one to the drive.
Cheers

LambdaMikel

Getting a controller is problematic for the 464. I would suggest to get a DDI-3 from @Piotr 

I wish I could recommend the DDI-4 from @Piotr but I had some problems with it.
It works well if you only plan to connect a 3.5" floppy drive or Gotek, no problems (but be aware of the READY signal cable mod, or apply the jumper mod required for the 3.5" drive for making it emit a "real" READY signal).

DF1 and DDI-4 is a bit problematic (requires cable mods).

There are some DDI-1's on EBay Germany, but the prices have exploded and are completely irrational by now, e.g.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Schneider-CPC-464-DDI-1-Diskettenlaufwerk-3-und-Interface-und-7-Disketten/132906726449?hash=item1ef1dbb431:g:MagAAOSwmFxcLTUH

I can feel your pain!

twox

Unfortunately, in my case the RDY ordeal wouldn't be a jumper mod - more like unsoldering a tiny resistor and soldering it back. I'll try the cable mod first - that is if i get a DDI in the first place.Minding that i also have 6128's on my watchlist (and a pending Brycefication payment), my CPC budget is definitely running dry.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: twox on 19:56, 11 March 19
Unfortunately, in my case the RDY ordeal wouldn't be a jumper mod - more like unsoldering a tiny resistor and soldering it back. I'll try the cable mod first - that is if i get a DDI in the first place.Minding that i also have 6128's on my watchlist, my CPC budget is definitely running dry.

In case it is Mitsumi drive, the RDY signal mod is really easy to apply (SMD jumper).

Hopefully somebody here can make you an offer for a DDI-1 controller. Maybe try the "Wanted" section?

twox

The cable mod you were talking about - is it the same thing as depicted in this picture (purple wire)?
I think, realistically for my purposes the DDI-4 will work best (and it is cheapest ;D ).
I plan to use it exactly for what you said, so i think i'll be fine. I also will be able to communicate with seller without language barriers, so thats that.

LambdaMikel

For DDI-4 and Gotek / 3.5" floppy you don't need such a complicated cable.
It is just one-by-one then. But 3.5" floppy needs to emit the READY signal.
I have modified my Mitsumis as follows:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Modify_PC_floppy_drives

Then it works like a charm. 

LambdaMikel