News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Dandanator Mini 1.3 - WIP

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 20:58, 17 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

Dandare

Quote from: eto on 13:37, 07 November 22
Quote from: Dandare on 09:32, 07 November 22Dandare.es. This is the link : Developer Documentation CPC Dandanator
Links do not work when clicking. Here in plain text.

http://www.dandare.es

http://www.dandare.es/Descargas_CPC/CPC%20Dandanator%20DevDoc.zip
It works for me  ??? (the second one, the first wasn't supposed to be a link, just the name of the site). Nevertheless, thanks!!

SerErris

If someone could gather the source code of the Z80 routines from the rom generator (e.g. the loader). 

Yes I have seen the routine to load stuff from USB and I also did understand the rescue loader, however that loads a 4101 byte large loader from the rom generator and that thing is actually doing the real work. 

I can of cause disassemble it and start documenting it - however getting the original source code that generated the 4101 byte loader would be much easier.

If someone could upload (or sent to me), I could just get it onto a github to start documenting it and also derive the documentation on how it actually works (end to end process).

The available developer documentation helps in a way, that I can identify where the dandanator parts are happening (easy to spot with the trigger). But there is quite a few bits of logic in there that I need to understand better.

Also I would love to write a more deep dive troubleshooting guide (how can you identify where the actual issue is). 

For instance I could write a loader on the CPC site, that you load from tape or disk, that has much more debug output (you can see better what happens and make it more redundant against crashes).

So better suportability would be a goal. 

I have started to recreate the kicad schematic with kicad 6 now. If you agree I will upload it also to a github repository for future enhancements. (I think two more pins to grab RX/TX signals or two LEDs for the same would be helpful). I also would put in links to the latest 3D-printable cases and other stuff.

Of cause nothing of that is for myself and I do not claim any credits and everything will refer to the original authors. But I can make it stay alive a little bit longer and help to contribute to it from others.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

Dandare

Hi,
I have uploaded the Z80 asm source code of the Romset loader to GitHub. I've also put together a small demo launcher for it.
I believe the code is fairly web commented. Looking forward to any contribution

https://github.com/ddandare/CPCDandanatorLoader

darkhalf

QuoteThe problem is the CH340 chip. It seems to be broken as it does not transmit the RX signals out to USB.

Just posting to say I've found the same thing. Made a bunch of MX4 Dandanators and one of them had no TX back to the CPC. Swapped the flash and CPLDs over with no luck. Scoped the signals and it had a similar issue. So was repeating block 0 repeatedly

So out of 10 x CH340 chips, one was bad. Which is not surprising. With many (5V) CPLDs being pulls these days, be lucky to get half arrive working. 

CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

SerErris

It took some time, but I now replaced the CH340G on mine and now it works flawless ... 

Thanks @Dandare for the source code and for the dandanator in the first place.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books

dodogildo

@SerErris I'm getting 100% same problems with your case on my Dandanator DES (from Hobbyretro website). Tried both RomGenerators 2.3 and 2.5 with different computers Mac, windows 10 and windows 11 (tested different cables both USBA to USB mini and USBC to USB mini) and never managed to pass the Block 01.
Do you have a simple solution recipe? I read the thread many times and got lost between posts.  :-\

M'enfin!

poulette73

Quote from: dodogildo on 15:43, 05 February 24@SerErris I'm getting 100% same problems with your case on my Dandanator DES (from Hobbyretro website). Tried both RomGenerators 2.3 and 2.5 with different computers Mac, windows 10 and windows 11 (tested different cables both USBA to USB mini and USBC to USB mini) and never managed to pass the Block 01.
Do you have a simple solution recipe? I read the thread many times and got lost between posts.  :-\
Look at my post #230 and program version used.

In my case Dandanator has always worked perfectly, whether for compilations found on the Internet, homemade compilations, or for games specifically dedicated to the Dandanator.
I am extremely satisfied with it.  :)

dodogildo

Quote from: poulette73 on 21:45, 05 February 24Look at my post #230 and program version used.

I already did all that. I also tried both provided rescue.bin and basic code type-in, because the "L" menu option is not present in my DES cardridges (all of my 3 carts came loaded with the same custom Hobbyretro menu, the same boring basic games and no rescuemode option.)
The only thing I didn't try yet is the JAR version 2.4 (already tried 2.3 and 2.5) I'll give it a go but have to admit I'm not hopeful. I'm almost sure that my board's CH340G is faulty. I fear I'll have to replace it as last resort. (really hate smd desoldering/soldering.)
Quote from: poulette73 on 21:45, 05 February 24In my case Dandanator has always worked perfectly, whether for compilations found on the Internet, homemade compilations, or for games specifically dedicated to the Dandanator.
I wish I could try those compils and dedicated games as well :laugh: but I'm stuck with a dozen games made with Basic now. I'm sure this is not what the Dandanator invented for in the first place   :laugh:
M'enfin!

SerErris

2.5 is okay - I also do have 2.6 which I can provide (I am not sure why it is not officially downloadable).

There is no simple to do thing if CH340G is faulty (as mine was). Nothing I did could resolve it. The only thing I did was to troubleshot it with a logic analyser. Therefore I could see that I do not get the required signales from the dandanator to the PC.

So the intersting part is - the base loader will download as it is a oneway communication (from PC to CPC actually through the dandanator), but the next step will fail after block 1 always, as the CPC never commits to the PC.

It would be really good to have a console in the Java app to display the bytes received (as a mirror) from the CPC. That would very quickly identify the problem.

All that said - the CH340G is nothing else than a USB UART. So you can put any UART to the output TX/RX pins from the CH340G to the fpga. And that is what I did in the first place, before actually replacing the CH340G.

So if you do have a CH340G or any other UART available, just solder its RX TX lines (+GND) to the CH340G RX/TX pins.

That should enable you downloading and uploading stuff as a workaround.

dodogildo

Quote from: SerErris on 14:17, 12 February 24So if you do have a CH340G or any other UART available, just solder its RX TX lines (+GND) to the CH340G RX/TX pins.
I'll try that. Now, I desoldered CH340G using my heat station (and ripped some pads along the way :picard: but nothing unrepairable ;) ). I ordered a couple of new CH340Gs and waiting them to arrive to continue. 

Thank you.
M'enfin!

DR400

Hi, have you had chance to test with a new  CH340G ?
Regards