News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC IDE adapter, anyone?

Started by JonB, 17:21, 07 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

@angelcaio

Where did you purchase the 50 Pin Edge connector (Photo2) from ?

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

angelcaio

Hi, Ray
Hi, it was a purchase between individuals. I bought it in early 2015 or late 2014 at Piort bugaf (Zaxon) (shellmyretro.com), at that time I had recently bought a DDI-1 Clone and I needed to connect it to a Mother X-4
Regards

angelcaio

JonB

Yes. But the 6128 - uIDE-16 bus adapter needs a non keyed header or one without a box (so two rows of header pins). Just in case the orientation of that adapter is wrong.

Tell you what, I can make it up for you for £10. As you can see from my photo I have the parts.

JonB

Also... I have just ordered another batch of boards with expedited shipping. Hopefully they arrive before I expire!

angelcaio

Quote from: JonB on 13:58, 13 February 17
Yes. But the 6128 - uIDE-16 bus adapter needs a non keyed header or one without a box (so two rows of header pins). Just in case the orientation of that adapter is wrong.

Tell you what, I can make it up for you for £10. As you can see from my photo I have the parts.

Great, I prefer it to make sure the cable is the correct one. Then when possible the shipping of the board adds the price of the cable for me.
Thanks.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Audronic

Quote from: angelcaio on 13:48, 13 February 17
Hi, Ray
Hi, it was a purchase between individuals. I bought it in early 2015 or late 2014 at Piort bugaf (Zaxon) (shellmyretro.com), at that time I had recently bought a DDI-1 Clone and I needed to connect it to a Mother X-4
Regards
Hi Angelcaio
Thanks I will have a look at sellmyretro.com

Thanks       Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Cpcmaniaco

Mine with DOM if is possible.

Thanks.

1024MAK

Hi Jon

I would like:-
3 X CPC uIDE 16 boards
3 X 128Mbyte DOMs
1 X CPC Expansion port adapter boards
2 X Z80 Shim boards (not yet sure if LH or RH, they need to fit CPC6128 machines).

All PCBs, just bare boards please  :D

If I've missed anything, poke me gently, as I'm currently on nights...

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

JonB

Picture time...

[attach=2]

uIDE-16. Ignore the wire loops, the jumper plugs haven't turned up yet. This one is configured for 8 bit I/O addressing with the PCW xdriver's base address set (in other words, it's in uIDE-8 mode).

I posted pictures of the Z80 shims on the PCW uIDE-8 thread: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/nc100-nc200-pcw-pda600/who-wants-ide-drives-on-the-pcw/msg142065/#msg142065

And here's the 6128 expansion port adapter.

[attach=3]

None of this stuff is tested yet, and I have yet to modify the PCW xdriver for 16 bit I/O addressing.

[Edit: 6128 does not support the PCW FID driver scheme so the PCW driver can't be ported as-is. As a result, the driver will be delayed.]

JonB

Regarding the 50 way expansion port header.

I made a mistake with the row spacing on the boards so it will be necessary to bend the two pin rows inwards so they nearly touch, then bend them out about 1/2 way down each leg with needle nose pliers. Really sorry about that. But it's reasonably easy to do if you're careful.

This is a poor picture, but I hope it illustrates the point.

[attach=2]

The rows are 2.54mm apart, which is fine if you want to fit a 50 way box header and use a 50 way IDC connector to 50 way IDC edge connector cable, but not fine for fitting this type of edge connector. Hence a little bit of hackery being necessary.

The solution would have been to put in 3 rows of 25 pads, 2.54mm pitch, with the middle row connected pin to pin with one of the outside rows. Then the edge connector would fit on the outer rows, and an IDC box header would fit on the inner and outer rows that are not connected together.

Cheers
JonB

1024MAK

Quote from: JonB on 17:18, 28 February 17
Regarding the 50 way expansion port header.
Blah, blah...

Jon, what about fitting a pin header, then soldering the edge-connector pins to the pin header? Some ZX Spectrum interfaces use this system.

Oh, and nice PCB p0rn  ;D

About time you manned up and got some jumper shunts though  :laugh:

Mark

JonB

Eh what? No, it's fine with the pins bent. You'd only know if you looked closely (and the header is not standing on the board, though it is perpendicular). Or are you suggesting a pass through? Can you post a link to a suitable picture of one of these Speccy expansions, please?

Yes, top PCB pr0n indeed. You should see them in the flesh. Niiiice...  8)

Oh, the uIDE-16 didn't work by the way, not in 8-bit mode. My bad for not prototyping it first (I took a punt as it is such a simple circuit and I knew the very similar uIDE-8 circuit worked fine). It caused the PCW to not boot (and corrupted the screen). Another problem for another day. I have to concentrate on the uIDE-8s first..

Re: Jumper shunts: They are in the post. From China. So I expect I will get them this year sometime!   ::)

JonB

Ah!

A quick look at the uIDE-16 schematic indicates that the 8-bit mode  selector is wired incorrectly, so it's 16 bit I/O addressing only for now.  :doh:

I think the board can be hacked for 8 bit mode though.. by swapping the outputs of the two LS688s.

JonB

I was right (for once). Cut two tracks on the underside of the uIDE-16 board and lay in a couple of jumper wires and 8-bit mode is good to go. I'll document this on the Wiki, but you only need to do it if you want to run uIDE-16 in 8-bit mode. It should work in 16 bit mode as-is (that's the next test).

JonB

A bit more detail on the uIDE-16 v0.3 fix for 8-bit mode.

[attach=2]

On the underside of the board:

• Cut tracks at 1 and 2.
  • Fit links as shown (3 and 4).

To be clear: This modification is not required if you are using the 16-bit addressing mode (for CPC6128s).

JonB

First test of uIDE-16 on a CPC6128.

[attach=2]

This is the test program telling me what the IDE device identity and parameters are. It's described in the uIDE CPCWiki page.

It all looks OK! uIDE-16 is running in 16 bit addressing mode with a base address of FEF0.

Now to sort the CP/M Plus driver out.

JonB

Incidentally, this one is connected with the expansion port adapter.

[attach=2]

JonB

Speaking of the driver, I completed a port of the PCW FID to the 6128 but I need a version of 6128 CP/M Plus that supports FIDs. I have v1.0 and v1.1 but they don't work. Can anyone help?

(I also posted this question in the Tech support / Software Related forum: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/software-related/fid-file-support-in-cpc6128-cpm-plus-1-0/)

1024MAK

:o Jon - your post has me both concerned and hungry  :-X

Why is your screen full of chocolate? I keep wanting to lick it! And your diagnostic program has left out an important parameter! It is not telling you the core temperature of the flux-capacitor. An elevated core temperature could result in excessive Deuterium pressure or a degradation of the dilithium crystal. Which will result in Orac giving you a good dressing down...

I for one don't want my CPC to suffer in pain. Or for any other CPC to suffer.

I look forward to hearing about your progress  :D May the force be with you  :-*

Mark

1024MAK

Quote from: JonB on 18:30, 28 February 17
Eh what? No, it's fine with the pins bent. You'd only know if you looked closely (and the header is not standing on the board, though it is perpendicular). Or are you suggesting a pass through? Can you post a link to a suitable picture of one of these Speccy expansions, please?
Err, I would if I could find it again  :picard:

The most common arrangement is to mount the edge-connector to the PCB as normal (with the wider spacing suitable for an edge-connector) and use the double row pin header on the other side of the board so that a small pass-through PCB edge-connector can be soldered to it.

The German ZX81 forum has the ZX-bus (at least I think that is what they call it), which uses DIN connectors. So their boards have solder pads that can take either the DIN plugs/sockets or edge-connectors, or double row pin headers.

It's possible that I'm mis-remembering  :-\ But I thought I saw a picture of one board where a double row pin header was soldered to the PCB, then the edge-connector was soldered to the pin header. But if I did, darn if I can remember which expansion it was, let alone find a picture. Sorry  :(

Instead have a look at some nice bendy legged edge-connector p0rn taken fresh today  :P

Mark

1024MAK

JonB

You have definitely been on the parsley again, Mark!

You can get a passthrough by fitting a 2x25 way 90 degree pin header to the expansion port adapter card and mounting it vertically on another board, like the PCW AMX mouse box.

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

1024MAK

JonB

That's a Speccy edge connector, anyway. Isn't it?