News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Mainboard Versions

Started by nocash, 14:52, 09 April 10

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentGR

Quote from: robcfg on 11:22, 07 February 21
@VincentGR , if you don't mind, I'll add a link your picture in the Mainboard versions page, for completeness.

That's the reason I uploaded this here  ;D
Too bad I don't have this mobo here so I could scan her.

dragon

Just if some is interested, retrogamer spain come out yesterday  and it  include an article about the amstrad prototype that is in spain that have the original power supply. 

https://www.kioskoymas.com/Publicacion/retrogamer/Retrogamer

TotO

Yes, I have read it. Very nice done!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

robcfg

Our dear friend and fellow member of the CPCWiki @deepfb is the author of the Retrogamer Magazine's article and asked the owner of the prototype permission to upload the pictures here.

We got it and you can see now the PCB pictures of the Z70100 motherboard prototype and the Gate Array Simulator here: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Mainboard_Versions#CPC464_Prototype

There are some more pictures coming, which will be uploaded to the CPC Prototypes page shortly.

Enjoy!

dragon

Just curiosity, compared the board of the z70100 gate array simulator and the comercial board..

At the right of the pre-cpc are two points marked "led" and "sw5".

I'n the comercial board these two points are there but there are unlabel.

What mark these led?. And what do the sw?

And these extrange 3 letter marked in emulator board it tell "Ram"?.

robcfg

Good evening!

Here are the beautiful pictures of the CPC prototype by Jorge Selfa: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/CPC_Prototypes

@dragon , The Led and Swi points seem to be remnants of the prototype boards that went into version 1 motherboards. Starting with version 2 motherboards, they were removed.

Regarding the 3 letters you mention, they are probably the logo of the PCB manufacturer.

Bryce

Do you have pictures of the PSU too?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Awesome - very interesting and great quality photos, please do thank Jorge!!

@Bryce - why is the PSU of interest?

dragon

robcfg

Quote from: Bryce on 09:29, 21 March 22Do you have pictures of the PSU too?

Bryce.
Now we do  ;)

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/CPC_Prototypes

I asked if we could have some pictures of the innards of the PSU, but it seems to be held by some flimsy clips, so the owner is not keen on opening it.

leZone

Hello !
I found a new motherboard wich is not on the wiki !   ;D

MC0026A
from a CPC 6128

You cannot view this attachment.

Sadly, it's not mine
It was buy as is, solo board in germany. The serial/mfrs is not known. Plastic version of the case is not known.

I know the owner, i try to encourage him to make hd photos for us
Board have centronics ports and a shield. Shield have solded point near power switch, wich makes me say it's perhaps an indescomp 'usa' model.

This board write Solavox on boot. Impossible to know for the moment if someone sold the logo jumper for fun, or if it's a real indescomp from october or november 85 (i saw only one october 85 indescomp, it comes with MC00026B board, for november i have no information, and for september 85 it's MC0016A board with Amstrad on boot).

By the way, now i own an indescomp 'usa' monitor GT65 ! It was converted to 220V (because they was never sold in usa as we allready know). I saw a second one exist. I never see any CTM644 indescomp model for now. All the photos are on acme : acpc.me website : https://acpc.me/#ACME/HARDWARE_MODELES_DE_CPC/[USA]USA/GT65_USA_55-09-02821

leZone

Quote from: robcfg on 20:34, 21 March 22https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/CPC_Prototypes
I asked if we could have some pictures of the innards of the PSU, but it seems to be held by some flimsy clips, so the owner is not keen on opening it.
I wanted to ask for something about the 'light grey 464' :
It's not a prototype. It's a development kit. There is some wich exists and are the same as far i know. It is make with an industrial way, not like a prototype. Do you think it can be possible to rename all these 'prototype' webpages as 'devkit' ? thank you  :)

robcfg

I don't think that would be adequate.

To begin with, DevKit is a modern term. In the 80s, there were programmers, not developers.

Then, the light grey 464 has none of the attributes of a DevKit, like extra ram, debugging facilities, extra connection ports, etc...

It could be though as a preproduction run unit, but seeing that the Gate Array was still a prototype, thus could change before manufacturing, it could affect the design of the motherboard too. You can see that following revisions of the GA imply changes on the motherboards.

Take it from someone that has worked with DS, Wii, Switch, PS4 and PSP DevKits, had access to PS2 and XBox Dev and Debug kits and has 2 Dreamcast DevKits and a Debug kit.

I totally get that you'll consider it to be a DevKit, because it was sent to companies to start creating software for the machine, but it's a preproduction run at most.

Finally, everyone is used to calling it a prototype, so I think changing the name would only cause confusion.

dragon

Quote from: leZone on 16:30, 13 May 22Hello !
I found a new motherboard wich is not on the wiki !  ;D

MC0026A
from a CPC 6128

You cannot view this attachment.

Sadly, it's not mine
It was buy as is, solo board in germany. The serial/mfrs is not known. Plastic version of the case is not known.

I know the owner, i try to encourage him to make hd photos for us
Board have centronics ports and a shield. Shield have solded point near power switch, wich makes me say it's perhaps an indescomp 'usa' model.

This board write Solavox on boot. Impossible to know for the moment if someone sold the logo jumper for fun, or if it's a real indescomp from october or november 85 (i saw only one october 85 indescomp, it comes with MC00026B board, for november i have no information, and for september 85 it's MC0016A board with Amstrad on boot).

By the way, now i own an indescomp 'usa' monitor GT65 ! It was converted to 220V (because they was never sold in usa as we allready know). I saw a second one exist. I never see any CTM644 indescomp model for now. All the photos are on acme : acpc.me website : https://acpc.me/#ACME/HARDWARE_MODELES_DE_CPC/[USA]USA/GT65_USA_55-09-02821

Probably was November because the only solavox on boot  for now are from November. I view one of october in ebay. And have a working picture  with amstrad at boot. 

TotO

Quote from: leZone on 16:30, 13 May 22I found a new motherboard wich is not on the wiki! ;D

MC0026A
from a CPC 6128
Yes. It was supposed to exist, because the MC0026B. It will be great to have the full picture. 8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

leZone

Quote from: robcfg on 11:04, 14 May 22I don't think that would be adequate.
I totally get that you'll consider it to be a DevKit, because it was sent to companies to start creating software for the machine, but it's a preproduction run at most.
Finally, everyone is used to calling it a prototype, so I think changing the name would only cause confusion.
ok, i understand your opinion and i agree with your arguments
(but it's very technical, and sadly some dumb people search on internet, call this a prototype like it's the only one on the earth, and try to sell this with insane price)

Quote from: dragon on 00:28, 15 May 22Probably was November because the only solavox on boot  for now are from November. I view one of october in ebay. And have a working picture  with amstrad at boot.
take a look to your MP for further information  :)  ; i saw 6128 551001261 solavox on boot