News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Mainboard Versions

Started by nocash, 14:52, 09 April 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilmarkus

Quote from: gerald on 19:34, 19 April 10
And one DDI-1

160x65mm

Great!
Please take also a photo from backside...
I can't find mine.
I want to show how to manipulate it to connect a 3,5" drive directly.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

gerald

Here is the back. However it has already been patched for ABBA and side switches and some tracks are not visible.

Devilmarkus

Here's a patch how to use the DDI-1 for 3,5" drives without 3" drive connected:
- Find C115 on the pcb
- Solder it's 2 contacts together with a small cable
- That's it! The DDI-1 controller takes it's required 5v now from your CPC464 instead of the floppy.
- Connect a correct jumpered 3,5" drive to your DDI-1 and have fun!
- If you want to use this modified DDI-1 also for your 3" drive, make sure, you unsolder the bridge or use a Switch instead of a bridge

Gryzor

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 19:53, 19 April 10
Here's a patch how to use the DDI-1 for 3,5" drives without 3" drive connected:
- Find C115 on the pcb

W00t!!!  :o

Devilmarkus

arnoldemu

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 19:35, 19 April 10
Great!
Please take also a photo from backside...
I can't find mine.....
It's behind you!

I don't really want to see a picture of your backside.. but I do like seeing these pictures of pcbs.. :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

ukmarkh

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 08:34, 20 April 10
Find C115

I just wanna say it's sad, really sad that you wont be continuing with Elivra.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:26, 20 April 10

I just wanna say it's sad, really sad that you wont be continuing with Elivra.

probably, perhaps, not sure I will continue it one day... ;)

nocash

Hi, Gerald! Thanks for the pics, and for measuring the size of the three boards.

For everybody else: There are still plenty of boards with unknown size at http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Mainboard_Versions :-)

And, I've made a similar page for keyboards, http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Keyboard_Versions, it's also showing the differences in the BIOS character sets.

For most keyboard variants I don't know if they did ever exist - like French 464/664, for example?

Grim

Quote from: nocash on 15:40, 20 April 10
For most keyboard variants I don't know if they did ever exist - like French 464/664, for example?
The French 464 keyboard exists. For the 664, I'm quite sure it never had any variants but only the official UK keyboard.

gerald

Hi nocash,

Some more picture for your gallery : french 6128 and 6128Plus, and as a bonus the cartridge where you can spot the part number for french ROM (41090-1)

Gryzor

Grim, was the french version really 'french'? I'd have thought it was the exact same, just with the keys repositioned and a different ROM?

Grim

You can see for yourself here. The markings on the case are all in french and it has an AZERTY keyboard (thus a different Firmware ROM too, with the corresponding charset and keymap and showing "(f1)" on the boot message).

I don't know if a baguette was bundled in the box tho :)

Gryzor

Frog legs, too? :D (here we go again...)

The markings on the case don't matter, I was talking about the mobo...?

nocash

> I was talking about the mobo...?
Aha. I've been wondering, too, what you could have meant by being more french than french :-)

The new french 6128 and 6128+ pics are fine! And french system cart, too (put it on the Burnin' Rubber page).

Funny, judging from the amount of keyboard photos, the the normal english version was rarer than the french/spanish/danish/german versions, maybe english cpcs ARE rare, due to Sinclair ZXs being more popular in england. Though the english 464 can't have been less popular than the spanish 472 :-) so I guess it's just because nobody ever thought about taking photos of the normal/boring english models.

Btw. how many keyboard versions are there (mechanically). I know that there was the old 464 keyboard with PCB, and the newer one with membrane... and a lot of people seem to be speaking about 464s with "flat keys". What is that? Is it a third variant? Or is just another term for the membrane version?

robcfg

As far as I remember, there are some earlier CPC models which had taller keys than newer models.

The flat key models are the newer ones.

I have one of those CPC464 with taller keys. The picture of the PCB is in the boards article under the "PT NO Z70100, MC0001A, Copyright 1983" name.

nocash

Okay, that's a 464 version 1 mainboard (c) 1983 - which actually has non-membrane keyboard.

Membrane keyboards were invented with 464 version 2 mainboards (c) 1984. Are that the "flat" keyboards?

Ie. were they invented around 1984? Or did the "flat" keys came much later, like in 1988 cost-down versions or so?

Would be nice to see some photos that show difference between "flat" and "tall" keys!

Bryce

Did the 6128 ever have taller keys? My old 464 (Version 2?) had the tall keys, but I never remember the 6128 ever having these, I think they were lower keys from the very start.

Regarding the Keyboard layout page you've started: Do you have all the pictures, but haven't uploaded them yet, or are the missing pictures really missing still. I can upload pictures of the English 464 (Version 2 I think) and a German 6128 too if needed.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 11:46, 21 April 10
Did the 6128 ever have taller keys? My old 464 (Version 2?) had the tall keys, but I never remember the 6128 ever having these, I think they were lower keys from the very start.

Regarding the Keyboard layout page you've started: Do you have all the pictures, but haven't uploaded them yet, or are the missing pictures really missing still. I can upload pictures of the English 464 (Version 2 I think) and a German 6128 too if needed.

Bryce.
The 664 has the taller keys, but true about 6128. I never saw one with tall keys.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

nocash

The missing pictures are really missing. Uploads would be welcome!
The 664 has tall keys, too? And 664 never had keyboard PCB, only membrane keyboard.
Then there seem to be really three different types.

dragon

I take pics from my cpcs,sorry by the quality the photos is taken with psp go gamera :) .

All cpc are spanish,exept de 464 with large mainboard(u.k).

I dont know how adjunt files.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UY1IONUE

Mothertboards:
464 MC0044D(4010 gate array)Many sockets and memory made by mme.

6128 cotsdown MC0100A
6128 plus MC0122B
464(u,k)MC0002C.
6128 plus burning rubber cartridge.Amstrad   Spain were stingy,Save money in  painting.

Gryzor

@Dragon: if you don't use the quick-reply box at the bottom of the page, but instead click on the "reply" button, you'll get a form with an Attachment field... very easy :)

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:00, 21 April 10
@Dragon: if you don't use the quick-reply box at the bottom of the page, but instead click on the "reply" button, you'll get a form with an Attachment field... very easy :)

@Gryzor: if you don't use the quick-reply box at the bottom of the page, but instead follow the megaupload-link, you would see that the file has 2,4mb ;)
(ok ok, was a bad one)

I think for quickly storing things it's ok to post external links:
- saves wiki bandwidth ;)

Gryzor

Yeah, I didn't even follow the link because MU is blocked here at work. I gave the instructions because he said he didn't know how to :)

Devilmarkus

Changing attachments settings.
Here are the photos: