News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PSU...

Started by TFM, 20:38, 03 October 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

...with 5 Volt and 20 Amp. And 12 Volt and 16 Amp.

Can this be used for the CPC or will I fry my system?

I got if from an PC.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

Depends... When you'd use 12v for the CPC 5v input, I'm sure, it will not survive..

Ok getting serious:
Just because your PSU says, it has 100.000 watts, it doesnt matter, the CPC just takes the power it needs. (Too less ampere would cause serious PSU problems, but there's no problem, running a CPC with 20A)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

steve

You could copy the PC crowd by fitting 6 off 6128 mainboards into a tower case and surround it with 6 CTMs for a 6 core multi screen system and have it all powered by your PSU. 8) ;D

Devilmarkus

Quote from: steve on 21:09, 03 October 14
You could copy the PC crowd by fitting 6 off 6128 mainboards into a tower case and surround it with 6 CTMs for a 6 core multi screen system and have it all powered by your PSU. 8) ;D

You mean 6 CPCs overclocked to 8mhz? = a giant 48mhz Z80 storm...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

Haha! Thank you guys! Have a great weekend all together  :)   :)   :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TFM on 20:38, 03 October 14
...with 5 Volt and 20 Amp. And 12 Volt and 16 Amp.

Can this be used for the CPC or will I fry my system?

I got if from an PC.

ATX supply?

Should be OK but be aware you need to do some things to get an ATX supply to deliver power. I've just converted an ATX supply to work with an Amiga and it took me a couple of hours to do.

I bought a brand new supply that had a very low minimum load (in fact the lowest you can buy). You should check the minimum load spec for your PSU. In short you may need to add a few resistors to the voltage rails to generate enough load for the PSU to be stable.

You may also want to find a way to stabilise the supply before you send power to the CPC.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube