General Category > Amstrad CPC hardware

CPC464 - Do ROM's work in slots over 7?

(1/2) > >>

SlartibartfastBB:
Hi,
I have a CPC 464 and have a ROM expansion board.  With this board, you can switch between ROM slots 0-7 and 8-15.  The ROM's seem to work fine in 0-7 but in 8-15, they are found but are 'not active'.  Is this a 464 software thing?  I can replicate this on an emulator.  I've attached a screenshot using x-ddos |help command to list the ROMS.  I've loaded that same ROM at slots 3 and 10, but only 3 is mapped to memory

Thanks..

Skunkfish:
Good source of information here: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Category:Expansion_ROM

You're correct that only 0-7 are initialised by the firmware on a 464.
By the way, is the screenshot from an emulator - if so, which one?

TotO:
Exactly. The FW1.0 init ROM7 to ROM0.
If your ROM board allow that, you can put the FW3.0 and BASIC 1.1 instead to init ROM 15 to ROM0.

SlartibartfastBB:

--- Quote from: Skunkfish on 15:50, 29 November 21 ---Good source of information here: https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Category:Expansion_ROM

You're correct that only 0-7 are initialised by the firmware on a 464.
By the way, is the screenshot from an emulator - if so, which one?

--- End quote ---
I'm using Retro Virtual Machine.  Its my goto Emulator for OSX. 

SlartibartfastBB:

--- Quote from: TotO on 17:21, 29 November 21 ---If your ROM board allow that, you can put the FW3.0 and BASIC 1.1 instead to init ROM 15 to ROM0.
--- End quote ---
So it looks like as I can only select 0-7 or 8-15, If I want to use 8-15 on the 464, I need to remove/replace the BASIC ROM that is on the motherboard and also update the firmware (somehow). 

I have two questions: 1, Can you point me to info on how to update the firmware, and 2, Where can I get X-MEM? I've been looking everywhere for one!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version