News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 no sound out of speaker/loading

Started by Macc, 15:28, 10 December 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Macc

A friend of mine has aquired a CPC464 but cannot get any noise out the tape deck, all seems to work fine but no sound at all.  I heard about a sound mod, anyone care to explain, or even know what could be wrong here?

freemac

Do a keyboard sound test (DEL DEL DEL), test also with jack.
If game run and keyboard sound run, it is just a link between tape and speaker that was removed (see 464 schematic > tape port sound)

On some machines, do plug a jack shut down speakers (I don't know if it is the case with Amstrad)

Macc

Nothing loads at all, no matter what, he's getting sound out of it, just no data/noise out the tape player

Bryce

Need more info: Does the keyboard work ok? Does the tape turn properly? Can it record? (save a prog and play back on a normal tape-deck to test this).

Bryce.

Macc

Keyboard works, tape turns but ill check with him on the saving of progs, ill report back

freemac

http://amstrad.eu/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=102

Last time I saw a 464, I plug my mp3 player on it...

It's encouraged encoding tapes to mp3

It's just to know that some games did pause tape, as fruity frank during apple display, so that you have to play 2 times the fruity frank mp3 in order to load it

MiguelSky

If it is a CPC 464 Plus no sounds of tape are released. Is it the white CPC?

mr_lou

Quote from: freemac on 21:25, 17 December 11
It's encouraged encoding tapes to mp3

I tried that, but didn't succeed. Could never get it working. Finally I thought that maybe the mp3 just needed a special kind of encoding I didn't know about, so gave up.

Bryce

The sample rate would need to be pretty high to get a CPC to understand it (improves the high frequency clarity). So the MP3 file would be rather large, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Bryce.

beaker

Following on from Bryce's comments, I found a guide on the internet a few months back (http://www.cpctech.org.uk/docs/cdtconv.html) about using VOC files to load tape software that works for me. To summarise, I download the CDT file, use playtzx to convert it to a VOC file (I tend to use 44100Hz sample rate but the example shows 22050Hz and then play the VOC file using Goldwave with the tape connection plugged into my headphone socket and the tape mod of my 6128+. The only thing I found was I needed the windows and GoldWave volumes turned up to 100%. Attached it a picture of it loading Batman.

MacDeath

Quoteand the tape mod of my 6128+
You added "tape drive management" components into your 6128PLUS ?

beaker

Quote from: MacDeath on 14:47, 19 December 11
You added "tape drive management" components into your 6128PLUS ?

Alas it wasn't me, the downgrade(?) was there when I bought the machine a few months back but I thought I should try it out to make sure it worked.  :D

Bryce

I did that diagram for someone here a while back, it's a very easy mod to do. Whoever did the mod on beakers CPC did a really nice job of it, very neat.

Bryce.

beaker

Seems to work very well  :D
Just to check, that wasn't also the best place to mount the USB Mouse internally was it?

Bryce

Yes, it probably was the only place in fact.

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 15:04, 21 December 11
Yes, it probably was the only place in fact.

Do'h!  :'(  What's the solution, unsolder the USB connector and mount that on the case then use wires back to the USB Mouse PCB that I can locate in another section of the case? A bit cheecky but if you're still building them and that is the solution, would it be possible to supply one with the USB not connected unless that's going to cause an issue testing it before you send it out of course?

Beaker

Bryce

I'll see if I have a panel mountable USB socket lying about. If I have I'll use that with a few short flyleads, or if not a standard socket on flyleads. Electrically, there's no problem having the socket far from the PCB.

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 23:13, 21 December 11
I'll see if I have a panel mountable USB socket lying about. If I have I'll use that with a few short flyleads, or if not a standard socket on flyleads. Electrically, there's no problem having the socket far from the PCB.

Cool thanks  :D . Sorry for being a pain in the arse.

Beaker

ralferoo

Quote from: MiguelSky on 21:33, 17 December 11If it is a CPC 464 Plus no sounds of tape are released. Is it the white CPC?
I discovered that too. I don't like it. There's something comforting about being able to hear the tape noises...

Gryzor

MiguelSky

Quote from: ralferoo on 17:24, 26 December 11
I discovered that too. I don't like it. There's something comforting about being able to hear the tape noises...
Then, the yours is a Plus one? One Point for me !!  :P

Macc

Mate just tried saving a small program, played back in stereo, very faint sound and would not load back in.  Its a standard CPC464 btw

Bryce

This might seem brain-numbingly obvious, but have you cleaned the tape heads at all?

Bryce.

Macc

He has, and attempted to align, all the obvious fixes have been tried