News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpc464 problem with tape drive

Started by Sonic, 22:11, 16 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

Hi all.
I'm new to 8bit homecomputers and I just bought a CPC 464 with green monitor.
The system is running fine, I just have a problem with the tape recorder.
Rewind and fast forward works, but when I want to "play" or "record" something, it always messes up the tape of the cassette. :(
It rolls off the tape from the one side, but it doesn't roll up the tape on the other side of the cassette. So in the end the tape is in the recorder and not inside the cassette. I already tried a different cassette but still the same problem.
Does anyone know why this problem occurs? And more important, does anyone know a solution?
I'm thankfull for any help. ;)

-Sonic

Bryce

First of all, hi and welcome to the forum,
There's two reasons why this can happen. The tape is being fed through two rollers which consist of a rubber wheel and a metal bar. These pull the tape past the head and make sure the tape is held tight against the head. After a few years the rubber wheel and even the metal bar will be full of gunk. Clean the two rubber rollers and the bars and the problem may go.
If it's not dirt, then the rubber wheel isn't being driven properly by the motor. To turn the tape, the motor turns the spool in the tape, but also one of the rubber wheels, if the rubber wheel was connected using a belt, then the belt is probably dried out / broken or whatever and the rubber wheel isn't turning. Both of these cause the tape to unravel.

Bryce.

Sonic

Hi, thanks for the welcome and the answer.
I already tried to clean the rubber rolls and the bars but it didn't help so I guess it's because the rubber wheel isn't turned by the motor.
What can I do now to solve the problem?

-Sonic

Bryce

If you remove the top cover of the CPC you can try running a tape with the bare tape mechanism. It should then be obvious where the tape is getting tangled. Give it a try and let me know where it's getting caught.

Bryce.

Sonic

I did a little video, it shows that just the little rubber wheel is turning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxM465VMc4s
(I did some comments in the video, sorry for the bad quality. I made it with my mobile phone)

I will now try to remove the top cover of the cpc...

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Sonic on 20:30, 17 March 11
I did a little video, it shows that just the little rubber wheel is turning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxM465VMc4s
(I did some comments in the video, sorry for the bad quality. I made it with my mobile phone)

I will now try to remove the top cover of the cpc...

You need to remove the cover.
As it looks like, the rubber band is bad.
Change it and your drive should work ok.
(Wie ich sehe, kommst Du auch aus Deutschland.
Sollte irgendwas schiefgehen, hab ich noch ein Laufwerk da, das könnte ich Dir sonst einbauen. Über den Preis können wir ja mailen... Reich will ich nicht dran werden.)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Ja, es ist nur einen kaputten Riemen, kannst du leicht selbst austauschen. Du kannst sogar ein stinknormales Gummiband benutzen, die Festigkeit ist nicht so kritisch wie bei einem Diskettenlaufwerk, hauptsache das Ding dreht sich. Mein 464 läuft mit einem Gummiband seit Jahren :)

Bryce.

Sonic

Hallo und danke euch beiden.
@Devilmarkus: Ja ich komme aus Deutschland. ;)
Auf dein Angebot komme ich notfalls gerne zurück. :)

Also wenn ich nur einen Riemen austauschen müsste wär ich schon mal erleichtert...
Gibt es dafür sicherheitshalber eine Schritt für Schritt Anleitung im Wiki?

Ich habe jetzt gerade mal den CPC aufgeschraubt, also die 6 Schrauben auf der Unterseite entfernt, sowie die 5 Schrauben mit welchen der Recorder an der oberen Hälfte des CPC verschraubt war. Der hängt jetzt noch an ein paar Kabeln...
Wie muss ich jetzt weiter vorgehen? Will nichts falsch/kaputt machen...

Devilmarkus

Eine Anleitung? Keine Ahnung.
Du musst die Platine über dem Tapelaufwerk abschrauben. Dann anheben, du musst sie nicht ganz abmachen!
Dann solltest Du den Riemen sehen.
Über dem grössten Rad (Eine Art Schwungrad) sollte ein Metallstreifen sein, den Du auch abschrauben kannst.
Dann einfach den Riemen wechseln und andersherum wieder zusammenschrauben.
Du brauchst das Laufwerk dazu nicht ausbauen!

Wenn Du willst, mach mal ein / zwei detaillierte Fotos vom Laufwerk (Von unten gesehen also) und ich zeichne Dir rein, was und wo Du schrauben musst.

Sonic

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 21:01, 17 March 11
Wenn Du willst, mach mal ein / zwei detaillierte Fotos vom Laufwerk (Von unten gesehen also) und ich zeichne Dir rein, was und wo Du schrauben musst.
Ich werd mal ein paar Fotos machen... allerdings wird die Auflösung nicht die beste sein. Habe momentan nur meine Handy Kamera (640x480). :(

Devilmarkus

Lass mal... Ich mache eben welche...

Sonic

OK, und noch mal danke für die Hilfe, echt klasse. :)

Devilmarkus

Devilmarkus

Achja, nicht über das seltsame schwarze Kabel wundern. Das hab ich mal reingelötet, um CPC-Kassetten auf den PC zu kopieren (CDT erstellen)

Sonic

Alles klar, danke für die Hilfe!!! :)
Ich werde mich dann jetzt mal auf die Suche nach einem Gummiband begeben... falls ich keines finde stöber ich dann mal auf eBay nach einem Ersatzriemen.
Was das schwarze Kabel angeht, ist mir bis jetzt noch gar nicht aufgefallen. :D

Bryce

@Markus, gute Bilder/Beschreibung, mach mal eine Wikiseite damit unter http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY#Hardware_Repair , die Frage kommt bestimmt nochmals.

@Sonic, du kriegst nur Diskettenriemen in iiibay, aber du bekommst den bestimmt bei Conrads oder Reichelt.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Bryce on 21:55, 17 March 11
@Markus, gute Bilder/Beschreibung, mach mal eine Wikiseite damit unter http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY#Hardware_Repair , die Frage kommt bestimmt nochmals.

Vom Wiki lasse ich lieber die Finger!
Ist zwar mein Server, aber damit stelle ich nichts an.
Ausserdem hab ich nun meinen 464 wieder zusammengeschraubt und weggestellt.
Und die Fotos sind ja auf Deutsch beschriftet, weil es mal eben schnell gehen sollte...
Hab die Original Fotos überschrieben ;)

Bryce

Sonic

Quote from: Bryce on 21:55, 17 March 11
@Sonic, du kriegst nur Diskettenriemen in iiibay, aber du bekommst den bestimmt bei Conrads oder Reichelt.
Wirklich? Und was ist das: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amstrad-CPC-464-Replacement-TAPE-Drive-Belts-2-Pack-/260724658479?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item3cb466912f#ht_3036wt_1002

Also für mich sieht das nach einem passenden Riemen aus. Verschickt auch nach Deutschland wenn ich das richtig sehe.
;)

-Sonic

Devilmarkus

Bryce

In der Tat, auf iiibay.de werden die nie angeboten, nur die Diskettenriemen.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Sonic on 22:01, 17 March 11
Wirklich? Und was ist das: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amstrad-CPC-464-Replacement-TAPE-Drive-Belts-2-Pack-/260724658479?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item3cb466912f#ht_3036wt_1002

Also für mich sieht das nach einem passenden Riemen aus. Verschickt auch nach Deutschland wenn ich das richtig sehe.
;)

-Sonic

Sieht eher aus, wie Einmachglasgummis :P

Nee, sollte passen!

steve

If there was any useful information in last dozen or so posts, could we have an english translation please.

Bryce

:D Generally just confirmed that the drivebelt is the issue, then suggested that Markus should put the info in the Wiki and then took the piss out of him for coming up with lame excuses why he couldn't do that. Sorry for swapping to German, wont happen again :( ... :D

Bryce.

steve