News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 sizes

Started by Gryzor, 17:59, 25 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizrythmia

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:39, 27 March 16

Unfortunately I don't have any proof to connect "The Curiosity Show" with the Amstrad I recall seeing, so I cannot say what Amstrad it was apart from it having a Colour Monitor, though I guess to setup a game for the programme, a Disc based system could be loaded and ready to go during a commercial break.
The segment it was on was about the Flight Path 737 game. I guess they were impressed with how Simulation was becoming a more realistic in games and it just happened to be demonstrated on an Amstrad.  :)

I've never been able to find a video clip of it though. :(
I honestly don't recall that episode. Here's hoping it shows up on YouTube at some point.

PulkoMandy

There are definitely different molds and cases. The first one was flat, and the joystick port and volume control were on the back. Later on the back was higher than the front and some ports moved to the side (so they could make the motherboard smaller - it did not need to be the full length of the case anymore).

But I don't know if these cases have the same length or not.

Token

villain

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 21:29, 27 March 16

And the volume and power controls on the side.

As far as I know you could make this part of the moulds exchangeable, to avoid massive costs for localisation of the cases.

Bryce

The molded text on the case would have been an insert, no need for extra tooling for different markets.

@Token: With enough CPCs you could make the nearest one look twice the length of the furthest.

Bryce.

mattl

So my CPC desk as a kid was measured on my friends fat key CPC and when I got my Xmas 90 model it was smaller than the width we thought, which was good as the joystick (which didn't fit) and volume were on the side.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Gryzor

I would like to think I do know about perspectives and all that, thank you :D

However, this should take care of the perspective issue, wouldn't it?

[attachimg=1]

I'm not saying it's so, just that it's weird.

Bryce

The bit that "tells me" that it can only be a perspective trick is the fact that the bottom one is the newer logo and there is no way, that they made the case BIGGER over time!

Bryce.

Gryzor

That's certainly logical. I wish he had put them one on top of the other... all my machines are boxed away :(

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:18, 29 March 16

There maybe another explanation, but because I did 6 years of Graphics at School, perspective is the foremost explanation I consider, but a single image taken from above isn't giving enough information because there is no side or front view.

The alternative is photo manipulation by simply resizing, but why would anyone do that?!?  ???  And as Bryce said a newer 464 just wouldn't be in a larger box.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 09:20, 29 March 16
The bit that "tells me" that it can only be a perspective trick is the fact that the bottom one is the newer logo and there is no way, that they made the case BIGGER over time!

Bryce.
Having 464 from tall key to cost down, I can tell you that of them have the same length ;)

Bryce

Quote from: gerald on 19:09, 29 March 16
Having 464 from tall key to cost down, I can tell you that of them have the same length ;)

I was just waiting for someone who owns them all to bring some sense and reality into this thread :)

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 09:20, 29 March 16

Bryce.
They didn't make it shorter either! In the cost-down there is a lot of empty space..

Almost enough to make an echo.... echo... echo...  :picard:
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Having a new tool made would have cost more than the plastic they'd save.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Indeed, I have a v1 tall keys one and definitely a cost down version (and a couple in-between) and I didn't remember them being different in size - just the cavernous empty space inside. But then again I never compared them...

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:53, 30 March 16
just the cavernous empty space inside.

You mean "potential mod / expansion space" :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Oh yes, that, we're talking about the same thing.

AMSDOS

Quote from: gerald on 19:09, 29 March 16
Having 464 from tall key to cost down, I can tell you that  ____  of them have the same length

Quote from: Bryce on 20:02, 29 March 16
I was just waiting for someone who owns them all to bring some sense and reality into this thread

Bryce.

But was the word meant to be "All" or "None"?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

If they were different lengths I'm sure we would have got a comprehensive list of models and dimensions.

Bryce.

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Bryce on 12:54, 30 March 16
If they were different lengths I'm sure we would have got a comprehensive list of models and dimensions.

You make us sound like a bunch of geeks.

1024MAK

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 16:47, 30 March 16
You make us sound like a bunch of geeks.
What, on a retro Amstrad computer forum?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

gerald

Quote from: AMSDOS on 11:00, 30 March 16

But was the word meant to be "All" or "None"?
I let you guess[nb]My keyboard has some suden Alzheimer crisis[/nb]  ;D

remax

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:18, 29 March 16

[attachimg=1]

That would take care of it if you assume that all CPCs are perfectly parallel to the ground. (ie a Parallelepiped on a planar ground).

But if, as i believe, the units are tilted toward the camera (or on some kind of a small stair), then you can explain the fact that the perspective line are not the same for each CPC.
Brain Radioactivity

seanb

Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Bryce

Quote from: seanb on 11:37, 08 April 16
Seen this today and thought of this thread

The train track optical illusion that's bewildering the internet - BBC News

This just confirms that the average internet user is actually dumber than I previously thought. Do they not teach these things in schools anymore??

Bryce.