News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Anyone got any 4164 RAM spare?

Started by JonB, 15:46, 19 June 13

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Hello

As you might know, I have a dead 6128 and Bryce has suggested changing the RAM. It has 16 MN4164P-15 ram chips and I need to get some replacements but hey seem a little difficult to come by. So I am asking here if anyone has a set lying about..?

Cheers

JonB

steve

Have you tried ebay? search for 4164, you should find some.

Munchausen

I got some from here: DRAM Dynamic RAM 64kx1 MB8264-15 M5K4164ANP-15 HM4864P-2 HM4864AP-15 8 pcs |

Ask for the M5K4164ANP-15, though probably any of them would be fine.

So far they seem to work great. :D

JonB

Good, I ordered them. Hope they fix my poor 6128!

Bryce

For the future (and anyone else looking for some) you can still buy these new here: 4164-120 - RAM 64K X 1 bei reichelt elektronik

Bryce.

MartinW

I'm a bit late but I have them. They're common as muck on arcade PCBs. Couldn't tell you the exact make, model and speed without looking but I suspect I would have had some to fit the bill.

Bryce

I have quite a few Arcade boards here, but the RAM ICs are usually soldered, do you have arcade boards where they are socketed?

Bryce.

MartinW

:) I didn't say the chips I have are ON the arcade PCBs!

I used to offer a PCB repair service (I don't any more) so I have some tubes of NOS 4164 (among others) and a bunch of tested pulls that came off of cards that I think were old populated mainframe memory cards. Or they may have been from large scale Xerox type printers, I don't recall.

For the most part no, memory on arcade PCBs isn't socketed, though quite a lot of early Williams boards are socketed (Defender, Robotron, Joust etc.) and Bally Astrocade too I think (Gorf and so on). Whether that's from the factory or just replacements I don't know but each Williams board has 24 4116 RAMs that are often unreliable as anything so you just modify the power loom to the PCB slightly and replace them with 4164 which doesn't use the -5v and is a lot, lot more reliable. Hence people with arcade PCBs often also have 4164's :D

Bryce

I repair arcade boards too. I also have a good stock of 4164s, but other people offered the parts first, so I just thought I'd mention that they can still be bought new also. Many people think that parts that old are obsolete when in fact they are still produced in major quantities. I mainly do Bally systems (I have a Game Maker in my living room :) ) but I have done quite a few others too. The failures tend to be very similar in all Arcade systems - Power supply or RAM.

Bryce.

JonB

Thanks for the replies and offers, guys! I may come back to you if I am unsuccessful with the ones I ordered. I've had problems ordering old RAM before, where the seller sent a number of defective chips in the batch. Fortunately in this instance the batch was of 20 and I only needed 16 so I was able to swap them out until it (an Atari ST I was upgrading to 1Meg) worked properly.

ralferoo

Quote from: MartinW on 21:02, 19 June 13
Couldn't tell you the exact make, model and speed without looking but I suspect I would have had some to fit the bill.
The CPC does 2 video accesses, 1 CPU access and 1 unused cycle every 1us. So, the RAM needs to operate at 4MHz and you'd need 250ns or faster.

dcdrac

I have a broken 464 you can have for parts

Bryce

Quote from: ralferoo on 18:44, 20 June 13
The CPC does 2 video accesses, 1 CPU access and 1 unused cycle every 1us. So, the RAM needs to operate at 4MHz and you'd need 250ns or faster.

Were there slower versions of the 4164? 250ns are the slowest I ever remember seeing.

Bryce.

endangermice

QuoteFor the future (and anyone else looking for some) you can still buy these new here: 4164-120 - RAM 64K X 1 bei reichelt elektronik

I second Bryce, I've ordered off these guys several times in the past. Chips are all brand new, packaged professionally and delivery is extremely quick to the UK - usually around 3 days. I couldn't believe how quickly they arrived the first time I ordered.

I've never had a problem with any of the components sourced from them - so if you want to avoid the eBay minefield I'd definitely make them your first port of call!

One thing I'd advise is that since the chips are relatively cheap, maybe order a few spares whilst your at it. I usually try to carry at least sixteen which will allow me to at worst case replace all the RAM on a 128K board.
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk