News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Custom case for 6128

Started by jibanes, 01:33, 21 September 17

Previous topic - Next topic

jibanes

Hello,

I have a 6128 which I would like to migrate to a custom case in order to add accessories, the case would have to be large enough, which implies that I would dissociate the keyboard from the electronics; I would like to see some designs and/or pictures of similar modded rigs which would allow several extensions. And I would like to know what is the best way to have the keyboard (along with ribbon connector) used as a regular keyboard (which base to use for it, wood? and how to connect the ribbon connector to the "motherboard"). I don't think I need to keep the internal 3" floppy drive (HxC might suffice for now) but I would certainly like to have options for later.

Please advise me, provide pictures for inspiration, and/or commercial case/accessories I could use to achieve this; in advance thank you.

PS: I once seen a great custom build on youtube by someone whom seemed to also own a PDP8/i  or /e (not sure I remember), but I can't find it anymore; it seems that he had used a metallic enclosure for his 6128; had a 3" floppy, 3.5" and HxC, most certainly he had bumped the memory and used custom roms. If anyone knows which build I'm referring to, please don't hesitate to share the link (I spent several hours trying to look for it again).

Many thanks; had my first cpc in 1984 :)

ComSoft6128

I think I downloaded the video you are looking for a few days ago. I will check it this afternoon and if it is the correct one I will forward the link to you.

Cheers,

Peter

jibanes

Oh I would appreciate this, I've been looking for it for waaay too long. I think youtube has a history, yours is probably there, I was browsing youtube annonymously when I first watched it, so it's not in mine sadly...

ComSoft6128

jibanes

Thanks! that's quite a mod

ComSoft6128

Looks like a CPC as designed and built by The BORG

jibanes

What strikes me is that even in this spacious case things look rather crammed; I wonder if I shouldn't just get with a pc case, what do you think?

Bryce

Quote from: jibanes on 03:45, 22 September 17
What strikes me is that even in this spacious case things look rather crammed; I wonder if I shouldn't just get with a pc case, what do you think?

Actually that case isn't particularly crammed, he just made a mess of the wiring. If the cables were neatened up it would look a lot emptier.

Bryce.

Token

VincentGR

Dear GOD!!!

Reminds me of this:

Gryzor

Is that an upgraded cooling unit for the 1512? :D

Lazy Dude

Highly tempting to post up a pic of my modded cpc!

ComSoft6128

Gryzor

Lazy Dude

Ok I will sort it out this evening.
There was a thread on here years ago of build pics, but since photobucket deleted everything theres nowt to see  :picard:

Lazy Dude

Attempting to upload, from a cassette tape I think!

VincentGR

Holy shit!!!
This looks awesome  :o

Lazy Dude

Well @jibanes  does say in the beginning of  this thread to provide pictures for inspiration,  ! Job done

ComSoft6128

Lovely looking Mod.

Can you outline what you have done?

Cheers,

Peter

khaz

Lazy Dude

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 13:45, 03 February 18
Lovely looking Mod.

Can you outline what you have done?

Cheers,

Peter

I dont want to hijack this thread with loads of build spec waffle and pictures!
Put simply I took a donor 6128 and recased it in a metal housing, wired up some sockets n stuff to enable all keys and joystick functions available to be assigned to a set of arcade sticks and buttons via a patch unit, then at least the original keyboard doesn't have to take a beating!
So the lower panel with the green sockets is the patch unit, a bastard to build but drunk proof in operation!
There's another thread on here where a sony video converter is said to be the dogs twitcher, so I bought one to hook up to a 17" LCD panel.
Added a 40w amp module to bleep and blast away on some fat speakers.

I employed a local blacksmith to fabricate a frame to house it all on. And had it powdercoated in stealth black
I'll post up some more pics and info if people are interested.

Bryce

I officially rename you "Creative Modding Dude"!

Seriously cool setup.

Bryce.