News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ddi-1 can read single density????

Started by arnoldemu, 14:41, 11 August 10

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Looking at the schematics for the ddi-1 I can see that the MFM pin of the NEC765 is connected to the data seperator??

But in 664 and 6128 this pin is forced (low) to force MFM only.

Am I understanding the schematics correctly?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Targhan

Never tried it, but each instruction of the FDC has a bit in order to read singe/double density. I always thought it could be possible to read/write single density tracks...
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Bryce

Hi arnoldemu,
          I just took a look at the schematics and indeed, you seem to be correct. Perhaps this was to allow other external disk drives to be used with the interface? Future plans that never came? who knows? In the 6128 they possibly didn't offer this functionality for cost reasons, due to the fact that the drive wasn't designed to be replaced with any alternatives (the 6128 design seems to be a lower cost solution compared to the DDI-1), the 6128 uses an FDC9216, whereas the DDI-1 uses the FDC9229 with more functionality.

Well spotted.

Bryce.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 15:49, 11 August 10
Hi arnoldemu,
          I just took a look at the schematics and indeed, you seem to be correct. Perhaps this was to allow other external disk drives to be used with the interface? Future plans that never came? who knows? In the 6128 they possibly didn't offer this functionality for cost reasons, due to the fact that the drive wasn't designed to be replaced with any alternatives (the 6128 design seems to be a lower cost solution compared to the DDI-1), the 6128 uses an FDC9216, whereas the DDI-1 uses the FDC9229 with more functionality.

Well spotted.

Bryce.
thankyou for looking.

It is good to know that I was correct.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

In the floppy book (german) they wrote that MFM and FM can be used. But I never tried FM. If you want to know it exactly, just format a track in FM and write and read a sector. The rest is history ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus