News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

DK'Tronics 64k or more clone

Started by tjjq44, 18:44, 31 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

tjjq44

Hi, I'm actually looking for a 64k memory expansion for my cpc464. I want it to be compatible with "Orion Prime" and as much 128k demos as possible. "DK'tronics" seems to be actually the most compatible ram expansion.

The only drawback -> so high prices for these little boxes on the internet!!! In 2012 Bryce was talking about making a DK'Tronics compatible 512k ram board, what about it? Is there any alternative?

TotO

The X-MEM does the job, and add ROM features too.  ;)
http://www.centpourcent.net
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MacDeath

haha, tu perds pas une occasion de perdre de ton temps libre, toi...
:'(

tjjq44

Yes I've already seen the X-MEM solution but it uses modern technology and I want to keep the 80's spirit in my modifications, that's why I don't use any gotek or HXC emulator but real 3.5" drives with ready signal available on pin 34 :-)

In addition, I saw that on their page too: "STMicroelectronics Z80 CPU cause compatibility problems with 464/664. Please, replace it by a Zilog Z8040004PSC"

I don't want such a complicated thing which in addition needs CPU replacement, I'd rather like a simple ram expansion (compatible dk'tronics) or at least the schematics to build one by myself. ;-)

TotO

Quote from: tjjq44 on 13:06, 01 November 16
Yes I've already seen the X-MEM solution but it uses modern technology and I want to keep the 80's spirit in my modifications, that's why I don't use any gotek or HXC emulator but real 3.5" drives with ready signal available on pin 34 :-)
You hurt me, because I have took care with my boards to only use old technologies as Amstrad have used in its time.  :o
Only 5v compatible through pin parts here... Most of them was available in 80s 90s or was replacement of them.
(in fact, Amstrad used more modern technologies on the last CPC and PLUS series)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

tjjq44

The project I'm working on is to modify a DDI-1 interface to integrate 64k ram expansion inside (there's enough room to put a 2nd custom PCB). Your X-MEM board is cool but I don't see how I'd be able to fit it in the case... sadly!

Here's my interface opened

As you can see, the connector is in the middle so the custom board will have to surround it ;-) I've seen photos of dk'tronics boards on the wiki but I can't read all the references on the components -> I'm stuck in making my own board... :-(

TotO

About your project, it will be more easy to redo a PCB to embed all the features and fit into the DDI-1 case.  ;)
(I have a 64K RAM expansion without the case if you want... But, I'm not sure your hack will be easy to do)

tjjq44

Wow, that could be the solution, Yes I'll have to make a custom PCB and fit the components from your ram expansion on it but this isn't a problem for me :-)

TotO

How do you plane to connect the two PCB?

tjjq44

The custom PCB will have a rectangular hole in the middle so it will slide thru the connector and sit over the DDI-1 PCB. I'll have to solder 50 wires between my custom PCB and the connector's extender (visible on my photo).