News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Dk'tronics mouse interface clone [Available]

Started by talrek, 16:43, 22 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Cloning the SF2 is not really a good thing, if not redesigned. (like the CPC Booster in its time)
The board is big and require an external power supply. Not easy to use for everyone.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

talrek

Quote from: Bryce on 11:41, 05 January 16
I asked Dr. Zed for the CPLD files a while back (2013 I think). He never answered the e-mail.

Bryce.

Dumping the CPLD files from an original is not possible ?

dodogildo

Quote from: TotO on 13:44, 05 January 16
Cloning the SF2 is not really a good thing, if not redesigned. (like the CPC Booster in its time)
The board is big and require an external power supply. Not easy to use for everyone.

But if CPLD files get obtained, then you hardware magicians may create a modern (mini?) SF, right?
M'enfin!

TotO

The SF2 RAM and "ROM" are not CPC friendly (only work with SymbOS).
So, I don't see why it will be interresting to clone the CPLD logic...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Munchausen

TBH it would be easier (and better?) to just create a symbiface compatible mouse and RTC board. The rest (IDE, RAM, ROM) is provided by TotO's X-MASS and X-MEM. And the X-MEM has a programmable LowerRom, which SF2 does not.

TFM

Kind of... you got a good point there for sure. New hardware should also be compatible to previous solutions, if possible and if this does not mean to take some kind of disadvantage. About proportional mice I guess the SF2 is common, but maybe also the AtariST mouse which can be used at the joystick port (with adapter). The SF2 mouse leaves the joystick port free. For the ST mouse there is the awesome great G-Paint program. Well... let's say SF2 mouse wins.  :)

About RTCs.... aside of the SF2 RTC the Dobbertin RTC is great too. Here I favor the batch of RTCs from dxs, because the battery can be replaced, and it has support for CP/M and BASIC too, the SF2 RTC sadly not. Just my thoughts...  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: talrek on 13:45, 05 January 16
Dumping the CPLD files from an original is not possible ?

I'm not sure whether the chip is protected or not, I've never tried and it's not an IC I'm familiar with.

Bryce.

TFM

Back the day Pentagon and Workaholic stole the design of the IDE part and tried to sell their own version of it, so it's obviously doable.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

||C|-|E||

I received mine while I was on Holidays, it was already in the lab when I went back!  :D It is already installed, but I did not have time to try it! Thank you!  :)

dodogildo

Mine just arrived too, thanks @talrek ! I'll give it a try next week with my (almost) new Genius mouse.
Exciting!
M'enfin!

hsimpson

I received mine too. Thanks a lot @talrek.
I have to just buy a Genius mouse :).

Rennert

The interface i have tested with Atari ST mouse on SymbOS. Works fine ;)
...KC Compact

dodogildo

It works great, thank you @talrek
Here are some photos :)
M'enfin!

talrek

Quote from: dodogildo on 23:15, 11 January 16
It works great, thank you @talrek
Here are some photos :)

You're welcome since you draw better than me  :P also too sad from what i heard about istanbul today  :'(

dodogildo

Quote from: talrek on 14:24, 12 January 16
also too sad from what i heard about istanbul today  :'(
Thank you. So sad :(

M'enfin!

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 18:57, 05 January 16
The SF2 RAM and "ROM" are not CPC friendly (only work with SymbOS).
So, I don't see why it will be interresting to clone the CPLD logic...
Please explain this... The sf2 is as friendly as the xmem. I use mine on the plus and CPC all the time and it is as friendly with amsdos and CPM as the xmem.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TotO

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:07, 12 January 16
Please explain this... The sf2 is as friendly as the xmem. I use mine on the plus and CPC all the time and it is as friendly with amsdos and CPM as the xmem.
The SF2 RAM not work with 464 and 664 and, at less, do not support the C3 mode.
The SF2 "ROM" only work under SymbOS and can't be used as standard CPC ROM board.

CraigsBar

I'll test on a 464 tonight, but the ROM statement is blatantly not true, I have 32 ROMs (including the whole protext suite) installed in mine and they work perfectly on the CPC 6128 and plus, from amsdos and with 576k ram. Either I mis understand your statement, or you are wrong :(

TotO

You can test on your 464, the RAM will not work properly. (ask to Prodatron, he will said the same)
About the "ROM" (backed-up RAM), I have always read that was not on the same I/O port. But, it look to be wrong.  8)

Munchausen

Quote from: TotO on 17:52, 12 January 16
You can test on your 464, the RAM will not work properly. (ask to Prodatron, he will said the same)
About the "ROM" (backed-up RAM), I have always read that was not on the same I/O port. But, it look to be wrong.  8)

As I recall at some point I did try this and the RAM did appear on the 464, there was some oddity with it IIRC (I think perhaps about the amount reported... it was 512K maybe) but it was basically working.

And the ROM definitely works for general ROM usage.

gerald

Quote from: Munchausen on 11:21, 13 January 16
As I recall at some point I did try this and the RAM did appear on the 464, there was some oddity with it IIRC (I think perhaps about the amount reported... it was 512K maybe) but it was basically working.
The symbiface RAM is not 464 compatible.
This has been discussed there : FIRMWARE 3.1 / Lower ROM / Megaflash

Munchausen

Ah that's right, I got a display of 560K from FW3.something (as I reported in that thread!)

I thought I'd reported this and got comments back somewhere, but couldn't find the thread before my last post - didn't remember that it wasn't actually working  :picard: !

EDIT - I wonder if a mod can be made on the SF to fix this?

gerald

Quote from: Munchausen on 15:56, 13 January 16
EDIT - I wonder if a mod can be made on the SF to fix this?
Having no schematics nor PLD content information, a fix is unlikely. The 464 compatibility is quite tricky !
Also, the ROM side of the Symbiface use ROM slot incomplete decoding, which make it incompatible with C4CPC. For this issue, an external fix is possible. But it would be better to do it within the PLD.

CraigsBar

TFM

Are we totally off-topic? Ok, so the SF2 works with a regular Cart, right? Well, it does for me... so... where is the problem with the other one???
TFM of FutureSoft