EME-156 mechanics

Started by Edstrom, 11:24, 26 March 19

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JupiterJones

#25
Quote from: mjj on 11:12, 29 June 19
Answering questions 2 and 3 myself: I ended up scrapping all the rubber remains with a cotton bud and IPA, I don't think that black crap was being useful anymore.


And I think the correct sleeve position is where the tiny leftover part of the nylon sleeve is now, as seen in the photos below:














Hi! First of all my apologies for refloating this topic, but I needed the photos to ask and I guess all information to be together can be useful in the future.


I have a drive that has been oiled in the shaft and the oil has leaked into the nylon sleeve, causing it to slip and impossible to calibrate. Moreover, the bushing seems broken and will need glueing and refitting. I need to clean it up thoroughly ang glue the bushing and the permanent magnet together with the shaft. So here my questions:

       
  • Any advice on removing that nylon sleeve and magnet? Extra care on some operation? I guess the worst event that could occur would be to break the magnet, so any advice on removing it?
  • Any advice on glueing the nylon sleeve? How shoudl it be glued? glueing against the magnet and the shaft is advisable or simply try to glue it back together and allow magnet to provide enough pressure to keep all three parts together?
  • Is it worth to remove the whole shaft from its housing or should be better to keep it amd work over there?
Any directions and advices on this matter will be more than welcome...

(Edit: I did a few corrections for the sake of clarity)

Bryce

The pressure on the shaft was achieved with the nylon, not the magnet and the nylon is now cracked, so it will never grip again on its own. The way I have fixed this was to assemble it pretty much like in the third picture (all in place but pushed towards the spiral). Then I just covered the metal in superglue and quickly pushed the Nylon and Magnet over the glue. One further tip: When you look into the motor housing, there's a metal spring at the end to keep the shaft in place. There will be rubber residue on this that needs to be cleaned off. I think the motors originally had some sort of o-ring at the end, which has disintegrated much like the drive belts do.


Bryce.

JupiterJones

Quote from: Bryce on 10:44, 10 February 22The pressure on the shaft was achieved with the nylon, not the magnet and the nylon is now cracked, so it will never grip again on its own. The way I have fixed this was to assemble it pretty much like in the third picture (all in place but pushed towards the spiral). Then I just covered the metal in superglue and quickly pushed the Nylon and Magnet over the glue.

Wow, thanks for the advice. Bryce shedding light in the darknes! For sure I'll do as you describe. On the other side, I was wondering how the nylon sleeve was assembled originally. My guess right now is that this nylon sleeve was built upon two pieces, a central body (more or less like in the second image, without that crack running along the whole nylon) and a kind of lid or top piece that eventually was glued against the body piece (more or less as it can be seen in first, third and fourth images). So in manufacturing they would slide the nylon sleeve over the rod, then slide the magnet over the nylon and finally secure the whole set by glueing the lid against the nylon body piece. The beveled shape of the lid and the bottom part of the central body should helped to keep the grip and secured the magnet's position. My intent witht this is to try to reproduce as much as possible the original setup and not to make mistakes when super-glueing....

Quote from: Bryce on 10:44, 10 February 22One further tip: When you look into the motor housing, there's a metal spring at the end to keep the shaft in place. There will be rubber residue on this that needs to be cleaned off. I think the motors originally had some sort of o-ring at the end, which has disintegrated much like the drive belts do.

Yes, I've been reading all the information regarding disc drives I could find in CPCWiki forum, and already did the cleaning of that rubber blob on the stator ending. But again, thanks for this advice.

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod