News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

EME-156

Started by Aquarius, 14:14, 02 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquarius

Hello.

I have purchased an EME-156 3" floppy drive. The reason I need the drive is because I am going to connect it to another computer(s) than the CPC. I have no experience of these drives, but I know that at least it was used in the Sega SC-3000 computer with the add on SF-7000.

I want to connect this certain drive to a Sharp X1, and possibly a NEC PC88. The question is, both of these computer systems are using Mitsumi edge connector drives. Even for the Sharp X1 there was a 3" floppy available, X1D, but that computers floppy is using the same type of edge connectors as the normal 5.25" is using.

So what would be the best option to connect this EME-156 drive to the computer? I have a 34-pin to 5.25" floppy, but is the pinout for these EME-drives any similar? Could I just connect it directly to the adapter with a normal floppy cable or is there something else that I need to think about?

Sorry for the noob questions but I have totally no idea except that I have a bunch of CF2 floppies for the X1 computer that I would like to try. Thank you very much for your understanding.

I just realized that this drive is using a 26 pin connector and not a normal 34 pin connector. So, what I would need is a 26pin to edge-connector cable. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Thanks

rpalmer

the connector should be the same as the standard internal drive of the cpc. It is missing a few pins to save on cabling etc (which IMO is just plain stupid).
You can find the information in the cpcwiki for what the cable should look like.

rpalmer

Aquarius

Quote from: rpalmer on 21:41, 02 April 18
the connector should be the same as the standard internal drive of the cpc. It is missing a few pins to save on cabling etc (which IMO is just plain stupid).
You can find the information in the cpcwiki for what the cable should look like.

rpalmer

Thanks for the link. I have a friend that might be able to make an adapter to fit it with the edge connector. All I needed was the pinouts such as the one you provided. Very much thank you Sir! That was exactly what I was looking for.

I will post more in the future when I have things set up and ready to try to give it a go!