News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

fixing the power switch.

Started by arnoldemu, 17:46, 23 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

If the CPC doesn't switch on and the power led doesn't light then it's likely to be the power switch.
This has been discussed before.

I've cleaned and replaced one, so now I can explain in more detail.

On CPC464 and CPC664 the power switch is screwed to the case. It also has a silver metal bracket on it.
First undo the screws and remove it from the case. (CPC464 and CPC664). For CPC6128 lift it out of the plastic bracket.
Disconnect it from the motherboard.
Now undo the screws to release the bracket (CPC464 and CPC664). You may find one screw is easy and the other is hard, so after first is removed, twist the switch and the other will release.

On the front of the switch there is a black plate which wraps around and clips on.
Gently prise the corners up using a flat head screwdriver. Then when you've done enough put the flathead screwdriver between it and the case and gently prise it some more. If you break this, then the switch is almost useless.

Once done, gently take it off and remove plastic switch part.

Inside there is a metal strip. Remove this careful and clean underneath it. You can sand it a little if the connections are dirty. One connection near the middle and a round one at the other end.

When you're done, fold some sandpaper and gently sand the two connectors inside the switch. Clean them with WD40 or similar too.
When you're happy, put the metal strip back in. Making sure it sits correctly (there are two notches in the metal strip, and these sit inside the middle connection bit.

Now hold the plastic switch bit in place so that it is in the off position.
Put the black metal plate think back on. Using needle nose pliers you can squeeze the sides so it starts to grip again.
Check the switch works and listen to it click.
Now put the bracket back on (cpc464 and cpc664).
Now fix back to the CPC case (cpc464 and cpc664) or put into it's plastic bracket (CPC6128).
Switch on CPC and see the power led come on. Lets hope that was all that was the problem ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Can I copy onto the wiki?

You didn't happen to take any pics, did you?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:14, 23 October 10
Can I copy onto the wiki?

You didn't happen to take any pics, did you?
yes I did, but I haven't transferred them.
Yes you can copy it to the wiki.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Thanks, will do, if you can up the pics so I can incorporate them :)

I mean, even if you zip them all together and send them to me.

redbox

Haha, I replied in the other thread about this before I read this one.

My 6128+ powers up fine but randomly crashes, any ideas?  I think it might be a dry joint and will look for them, but I'm assuming after that it could be the RAM...?

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 12:49, 24 October 10
Haha, I replied in the other thread about this before I read this one.

My 6128+ powers up fine but randomly crashes, any ideas?  I think it might be a dry joint and will look for them, but I'm assuming after that it could be the RAM...?
Well the power switch is an easy think to take apart and clean. But if it was this then the computer would not switch on and no power led, or would be difficult to turn on.. I suppose crashes could happen if it was dodgy, but I am suspecting it's something else.

It could even be that the acid needs resoldering on your cart. Does it happen with any cart or just the basic one?

It definitely sounds like a bad joint you have there.
Sorry I can't help more.

My games. My Games

Gryzor

I've had a 'dodgy' switch in the past, it never caused any crashes. It would just, you know, reboot very fast if you touched it. So I guess that indeed it'd be something else...

redbox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:09, 24 October 10
It could even be that the acid needs resoldering on your cart. Does it happen with any cart or just the basic one?

Will try another cart and see what happens, thanks for the pointer.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:09, 24 October 10
It definitely sounds like a bad joint you have there.

Yes I agree - will just have to take it apart and if anything looks dodgy, re-solder it (yikes!).

fano

Quote from: redbox on 12:49, 24 October 10My 6128+ powers up fine but randomly crashes, any ideas?  I think it might be a dry joint and will look for them, but I'm assuming after that it could be the RAM...?
I had the problem with my 6128+ too , power plug on 6128+ side is very fragile and was damaged.the problem stopped when i changed monitor with a good plug.I suspected that caused micro cut in power supply.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

redbox

Quote from: fano on 18:54, 24 October 10
I had the problem with my 6128+ too , power plug on 6128+ side is very fragile and was damaged.the problem stopped when i changed monitor with a good plug.I suspected that caused micro cut in power supply.

I tried another cartridge and it does the same thing, artifacts on the screen and some other random things happening  :(

What do you mean about the power switch?  Is the only way to fix this to get another monitor as that supplies the power?  Or do I simply change the plug that goes into the power socket on the wall?

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 20:59, 24 October 10
I tried another cartridge and it does the same thing, artifacts on the screen and some other random things happening  :(

What do you mean about the power switch?  Is the only way to fix this to get another monitor as that supplies the power?  Or do I simply change the plug that goes into the power socket on the wall?
I think fano means the circular 5v power socket on the 6128 pcb.
You could try resoldering it into place, turning the pcb over and being careful to solder it.
My games. My Games

fano

That's what i meant , thx kevin , sorry i forgot to say it is the 5V connector.
You may check the plug itself too.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

redbox

That's great, thanks guys, will have a look.

Lux

This did for it me!
My dusty cpc464 has come alive thanks to your advice.
Thanks a lot!

Gryzor

Wo
Quote from: Lux on 21:36, 20 April 12
This did for it me!
My dusty cpc464 has come alive thanks to your advice.
Thanks a lot!

Wow, at first I thought whoever started the thread only resolved the problem now, but... welcome, glad to be of help :)

Shredder11

Wow I am so glad I found this topic!  I was so down to find my CPC6128 dead as a door nail the other day,  but now it is back to its' best!  Also as a result of this,  I somehow got in the right frame of mind to figure out another problem I had with an external 3.5" floppy drive....and now that is working!  ;D

Thank you so much!
Amstrad CPC6128, 3.5" Ext' Floppy, SD HxC Floppy Emulator

Vorian

Thank You, A simple fix for an apparent dead machine.

I applied this fix to a 6128 plus, I checked the switch beforehand by using the top cover (with my working switch from my 464 plus), the 6128 plus powered on so I then knew switch needed the TLC as described in OP.

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:53, 24 October 10Thanks, will do, if you can up the pics so I can incorporate them

I tried to find that on the Wiki but I couldn't find it. Do you remember where this is located? (I know looooong time ago)

Devlin

Quote from: eto on 09:20, 16 March 22
Quote from: Gryzor on 07:53, 24 October 10Thanks, will do, if you can up the pics so I can incorporate them

I tried to find that on the Wiki but I couldn't find it. Do you remember where this is located? (I know looooong time ago)
I was having a right bugger of a time with my CPC464 before cleaning my power switch - random unexplainable glitches and the like - cleaning the switch like this will do *magic* for the system, even if it doesn't alleviate any serious issues.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 09:20, 16 March 22

I don't think we ever got the images?

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:09, 16 March 22I don't think we ever got the images?
OK, I just added the page to the WIKI. When I open my next CPC, I will do some pictures for the 6128. Maybe someone else can add pictures of a 464/664.

But imho it's already useful with just text.

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Fixing_the_power_switch

Gryzor

Yes, I think the text by itself is pretty good, thanks!!

Bryce

Quote from: eto on 13:28, 16 March 22
Quote from: Gryzor on 13:09, 16 March 22I don't think we ever got the images?
OK, I just added the page to the WIKI. When I open my next CPC, I will do some pictures for the 6128. Maybe someone else can add pictures of a 464/664.

But imho it's already useful with just text.

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Fixing_the_power_switch
Pictures always help if you get a chance to take some. The switch is identical on all CPC's, just the position changes and it's a lot more difficult to get to it on the 464.

Bryce.