News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

FlashGordon - new batch

Started by PulkoMandy, 10:55, 13 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

PulkoMandy

Hi there,

I'm just back from the Alchimie Demoparty where I discussed CPC hardware and expansions with various people. It seems that there is some demand for a new batch of FlashGordon boards.

For those who missed it, FlashGordon is a Flash/ROM board and mostly a clone of Bryce's MegaFlash design, with a different flash chip and integrated mods for a reset button and "disable all ROMs" switch. It can be slotted on a Mother-X4, or plugged to the CPC with the appropriate cable (centronics or HE902 to HE10 female, 50 pins). It can store up to 32 ROMs, including optional replacement for ROM7 (need hardware mod on CPC6128/664 to disable the internal one, no changes needed on Plus and 464) and ROM0 (for use of the Hacker or straight-to-CPM boot or other foreground ROMs). Software is available to manage it (either ROMAN from PNG or TFM's RomManager) and will come pre-installed on the boards.

The cost for a board is 25€, shipping included.

Place your orders here. As usual, you don't pay anything until your board is ready for shipping. If you are already waiting for an Albireo board or other hardware from me, I can try to group shippings together.

||C|-|E||

I definitely would like to have one! I was going to do my own MegaFlash clone but I still did not find the time  :'(   Having one of these would be great  :)

GUNHED

Hi Pulko! Nice to see some demands for ROM expansions. In case you are going to use other kinds of Flash chips then let me know to adapt ROManager to it.
@All: If you need some new kind of functionality for ROManager please let me know. Version 2.16 is out now since some days. Download at www.futureos.de (download section).

Good luck with the new batch of FlashGordon boards.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

PulkoMandy

While I'm at it I'm reworking the board a little. No new features, but re-did the routing using smaller SMD components and added some silkscreen art :)

The board is slightly smaller (43mm - about the same as Albireo) and should be easier to assemble.

No change of flash chip planned as long as I can source the current one (of which there are apparently thousands available online).

Hergoth

I should like to have one for my CPC464+  :P

Pulko, I wrote un Albireo thread to get an Albireo too!

Could you get me a place un your list?

IanS

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 19:33, 13 November 17
While I'm at it I'm reworking the board a little. No new features, but re-did the routing using smaller SMD components and added some silkscreen art :)

The board is slightly smaller (43mm - about the same as Albireo) and should be easier to assemble.
Has it now got chips on both sides of the board, or have you changed the design?

Audronic

@PulkoMandy

Put me on the list for 1 (One)

Thanks

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

PulkoMandy

Yes, there are chips on the back of the board in this new routing. The design/schematics is the same as the previous version (what did you think? That I found a magic way to do the whole decoding logic with just two chips? that would be too easy!)

Bryce

You should try to keep all components on one side so that oven reflow soldering is possible. It will save you a lot of time. You could even go with an SMD socket for the flash chip, then you'd have even less to solder by hand.

Bryce.

PulkoMandy

It will not save me any time because I don't have the required hardware. If someone wants to do this, they can make their own routing :)

Hergoth

Quote from: Hergoth on 22:14, 13 November 17
I should like to have one for my CPC464+  :P

Pulko, I wrote un Albireo thread to get an Albireo too!

Could you get me a place un your list?

Sorry, I don't need a FlashGordon now. I leave the list.  ;)

yannis_uno

Please, put me down for 1, thank you!

LambdaMikel

I would also like to order one! Thanks

tjohnson

I'd like one of these when they become available.  Cheers Trevor

Fedeo

Hi,

One for me, please.
I'm in the waiting list to get an Albireo.

Montserrat

Hi, i would like to have one too, please. Put me in the list.i

asertus

Hi,

I am also in. Please let us know to order when ready  ;)

Rgds

Montserrat

Do you have any ETA? like....couple of weeks, some moths? end of the year? (im already in the list)

PulkoMandy

Hi,

So we are at 8 orders now. I think this is enough to start ordering PCBs.

Order list:
- ||C||-||E||
- Audronic
- yannis_uno
- LambdaMikel
- tjohnson
- Fedeo
- asertus
- Montserrat

I have been quite busy with other things in the last 3 months and now I'm preparing something for the Forever party. After that I think I can get back to hardware assembly for both this and Albireo. Sorry for the delays!

Montserrat

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 09:58, 22 January 18
Hi,

So we are at 8 orders now. I think this is enough to start ordering PCBs.

Order list:
- ||C||-||E||
- Audronic
- yannis_uno
- LambdaMikel
- tjohnson
- Fedeo
- asertus
- Montserrat

I have been quite busy with other things in the last 3 months and now I'm preparing something for the Forever party. After that I think I can get back to hardware assembly for both this and Albireo. Sorry for the delays!

;D  Thanks for your work :D, ill be waiting.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: Montserrat on 10:44, 22 January 18

;D  Thanks for your work :D, ill be waiting.
Me too looking forward to it no rush!

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

hsimpson

Montserrat

Any news on the boards?

Emashzed

Not sure if it's too late, but I'd be up for one too !  :)

PulkoMandy

Hi!

Well I'm still reworking the schematics :)

I fixed two problems with the original MegaFlash address decoding support: lack of decoding for the A14 address bit on write access, and use of diodes for logic. If you know something about these things, let me know what you think of the attached schematics. Otherwise, enjoy the 3D renderings!

As a bonus, there is now enough space for a proper reset button (maybe not so useful if you have a Mother X4 board, but quite nice otherwise)

I don't know if I can start manufacturing these in the current situation, and I need to do some tweaks to the PCB anyway (making sure the holes for the write protect switch are at the right place, for example).