News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Flat screen for CPC 6128

Started by madram, 08:58, 12 August 16

Previous topic - Next topic

madram

I'd like to know all working solutions to use a non-CTM monitor for CPC 6128, be it a TV screen or a flat PC screen, with or without rescaler device.

I can only find dispersed and incomplete info. What I would like is to set-up a wiki page with this kind of table:

CPC Rescaler Screen Sharpness Latency 50hz scroll Interlace Mode R You name it
6128 None Thomson 666 Good 9ms Perfect Good Bad
664 Hand made ~30€ (link to description) Bull VG1024 Blurry in mode 2 5ms Bad Good Good

So, please tell me what your configuration is and how well it works.
Or better yet, complete the page yourself!

elanstra

I connect my 6128 to a 15" NEC AccuSync LCD52VM using a GBS-8200, and I use a Spectrum +3 PSU as a power supply (as explained here). Image quality is superb.

[EDITED]: specified exact model of LCD monitor

Bryce

I connect my CPCs to a VGA 4:3 LCD screen via my S-Video adapter going through a V2V converter. Picture is perfectly crisp :)

Bryce.

SRS

I bought a CTM 644 and drove over it with a tank. Now it is a flat screen , native connection, but the picture is .. well ... you need imagination.

;D

In real life a still have a tube tv and a scart connector.
(Screen: universum FT 81129)

For Flat Screens this may help: Connect CPC to a VGA display | The Amstrad CPC news portal

TFM

Using a Sony Trinitron here, great picture. But jerks when using byte wise scrolling in X - this can be partially compensated in software (only wobbles instead of jerks). Conclusion: Not a good pic for demos / modern games. But decent for applications and most stuff (90%). Sorry can't tell more from memory, I'm at work here.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Duke

Is there any flatscreens that handle reg 3 on hardware scrolling? Mine makes all the old non banked (reg 3) scrollers shaky, interlace isn't good either, rest is just fine.
Using Samsung TV LE19C456 via rgb cable.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

robbarton

I currently use a SCART connection to a 40 inch Samsung UE40EH5000 flat screen LCD tv - big screen but I sit further away from it than the monitor I used to have back in the 80's!

Picture quality is acceptable for most output, demos are ok but I have CRTC 2 so I've not seen Batman Forever on this tv from this CPC.

I also currently use a laptop screen with a converter board to display raspberry pi via HDMI. I have a SCART to HDMI converter on order to test the CPC on it - if it works out ok then I can relinquish the big tv to my daughter and move the CPC to my computer desk which will suit everybody! I'll report back when it arrives.

dragon

You are lucky, the samsung series h was the last series samsung >32" with scart.

This year lg drop scart to. Only sony tvs,phlips tv, loewe  and panasonic tvs  have scart. Samung only conserve it in very low models.<32" witouth 1080p or smartv.

About the cheap chinese hdmi upscaler.This not contain a dedicated chip upscaler. The ic used really was and ic used heart  in low cost chinese tvs,  its designed to suport scart,component,vga,tdt,rca,hdmi,usb with files playback..

And send it to the lcd.

So really you are buying a chinese tv without a  lcd screen and pins not connected gx4000 style.

In the other hand the chinese adapter have a secondary problem. It outputs the image in 16:9. So if you tv not support select 4:3 or 16:9 in hdmi or lower resolution in hdmi 1024x768 type you can't view the cpc in 4:3.

PD: the manufacturer not longer exist. Thats explain why are so cheap, all send rest of stock.

robbarton

SCART to HDMI converter has arrived. It does work but in black and white  :doh: - the same scart cable gives colour output when connected directly to the Samsung TV (and that cable is wired the same as in Audronic's diagram on has anybody used hdmi and lcd monitor

Given that my current cable is fine the colour is being lost within the HDMI conversion. I don't suppose making a new cable would pass the correct feed for colour (please tell me if I can make a cable that would do this) so... should I send this back and look at how I could connect from the CPC to the VGA input instead of the HDMI input on the same controller board?

The controller board is basically this one:
[attach=2]

Thanks

dragon

You are sure the boards support rgb?. Sound as when you connect the cpc to one  scart in the tv not supoort rgb then the image is black and white

robbarton

Quote from: dragon on 10:00, 13 August 16
You are sure the boards support rgb?. Sound as when you connect the cpc to one  scart in the tv not supoort rgb then the image is black and white

I'm not connecting the board by RGB, it's going into the HDMI input so not sure what your question means. The scart into the TV works in colour.

Just to be clear here:

1) CPC 6128 ->SCART->Samsung TV =  Colour

2) CPC 6128 ->SCART->Scart to HDMI converter->Samsung TV HDMI = Black and white

3) CPC 6128 ->SCART->Scart to HDMI converter->Controller board for laptop screen HDMI = Black and white

(Raspberry PI ->Controller board for laptop screen via HDMI = Colour)

Maybe the cables are too long as the signal is going the length of the SCART cable (ok) and then the length of the HDMI cable (another metre or so)?

dragon

Quote from: robbarton on 10:22, 13 August 16
I'm not connecting the board by RGB, it's going into the HDMI input so not sure what your question means. The scart into the TV works in colour.

Just to be clear here:

1) CPC 6128 ->SCART->Samsung TV =  Colour

2) CPC 6128 ->SCART->Scart to HDMI converter->Samsung TV HDMI = Black and white

3) CPC 6128 ->SCART->Scart to HDMI converter->Controller board for laptop screen HDMI = Black and white

(Raspberry PI ->Controller board for laptop screen via HDMI = Colour)

Maybe the cables are too long as the signal is going the length of the SCART cable (ok) and then the length of the HDMI cable (another metre or so)?

Scart have varios forms of sending video.

One is using three cables. I sure you have view it yellow cable(video), red and white(audio left audio right).

The other form is the cpc uses rgb. In this form instead of you have un wire to the video. And two for audio. You hace three wires to the video r,g,b red,green, blue.

I have a tv with two scarts. One suppport rgb,but the other only support composite.

If you connect the cpc(rgb) to a device not supports rgb. The device can't view the colorus and show black and white.

Thats because i ask you if you scart to hdmi converter supports rgb video :).

I mean cpc only send signal in rgb format so in the other side you need a device suports rgb.

1) cpc rgb-> samsung scart rgb=colour.
2) cpc rgb-> scart to hdmi no rgb not view colours=black and white
3) equal two.

robcfg

Does the board have any sort of configuration menu? Make sure that its input is set to RGB.

robbarton

@Dragon:
I did an experiment: I plugged my SCART DVD player into the HDMI converter and HDMI into the TV and it gives a colour picture - so the converter can handle the scart output of the dvd and pass colour to HDMI but not from the CPC.

Checking the specification for the converter, it states "Scart CVBS input: PAL, NTSC3.58, NTSC4.43, SECAM, PAL/M,PAL/N" so I take it that it's COMPOSITE not RGB  :picard: ... and that's why the DVD works. That's also why they all work on the TV directly as it can handle both RGB and composite through the same SCART socket.

Thanks for clarifying, I either need to exchange the converter for an RGB one or go down a different route.

@robcfg: there are no controls on the converter apart from 720p/1080p

dragon

To be sure 100% view  if the vhs have rb
Gb output set it and view if is black and white.

But if not is in the especification vendor. Yeah it sound like a epic fail. :).

PulkoMandy

I use a GBS8200 converter (SCART or whatever to VGA) with a custom firmware so it doesn't try to deinterlace things, just double the lines to get a 31.5kHz horizontal refresh rate.

GitHub - pulkomandy/gembascan

I use this with a Linetech 19" display, but anything with a VGA input should do fine, including video projectors.

Like other solutions mentionned, it probably won't work too well with scrolling tricks and other nonstandard video timings. I can test in more details if you tell me which software to run.

ukmarkh

I use a Samsung Smart H500 series. Works brilliantly on everything but the Plus models.

Things I've noticed with this telly using a CPC:

- In games such as Savage, the screen doesn't bounce like you get with the old CRT
- You can make the graphics look better, by switching to console mode

madram

Thanks all. I still have to make a recapitulation page. The question I wish to answer is "which range of models (both TV & PC) are safe to buy".

@PulkoMandy & others: does "From Scratch" (Vanity | Amstrad CPC demogroup) runs as smoothly as on CTM? (Scratch test dummy). There are no dirty tricks here, as far as I can tell.

opticpow

Hi All,

A little late the party, but I'm using one of these devices to convert the rgb directly from the CPC to VGA with I use on a 4:3 LCD VGA monitor

[attachimg=1]

Arcade game RGB/CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA HD video converter board 2VGA output | eBay

Works great with my classic 464 & 6128. They are pretty cheap, and I have made up cables to use a PC power supply to run it, the CPC & external drives. I'll be creating a new cable for my CPC+ that's on its way from the UK to me now  8)

Wayne.

KaosOverride

I have a cheap made in china Scart to hdmi which supports RGB. Not many test done, image is OK, but I have to check the lag. The lcd tv has a little lag using composite video with the MP2, but I have some postprocessing options that can be disabled, also a game mode that brings lag the most lower as the tv can.

I will try to make some more testings
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder