News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gemini 1MB RAM expansion for Amstrad Plus

Started by PulkoMandy, 20:34, 08 October 22

Previous topic - Next topic

PulkoMandy

It seems the board was damaged after my testing or during shipping. You can send it back and I will send you another one.

darkhalf

Okay thanks. I'll have a look over the microscope tomorrow and see if I can find anything before going down that path
CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

GUNHED

Quote from: darkhalf on 11:37, 03 January 24@PulkoMandy received my board today thanks, but it is showing as 512KB mode with the '2MB' switch set on my CPC464 plus. I will note there are some (but not all) extra banks showing up in Amstrad Diag (see pictures)

Also tested this on a CPC6128 using Symbos and showing 640KB (other memory test programs also showing 512KB)

Any ideas on this one?

You should test it with the tool 'OS Infos' under FutureOS. Because this will show you up to 4 MB of connected RAM. The latter software only shows you only up to 1 MB due to its limitations.

A video is here: 
https://youtu.be/h2RGjXUooiQ?t=30
At second 39 the full 4 MB of RAM are shown.
In your case it shall show 2 MB like it's expected.
Good luck!!!  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

darkhalf

QuoteThe latter software only shows you only up to 1 MB due to its limitations.
Thanks but I've got just the 1MB board, so Symbos/Diagnostics should be sufficient for testing this

QuoteIt seems the board was damaged after my testing or during shipping

@PulkoMandy looks like there was some rework on the board received. The chip appears to have been removed and is missing a number of pads on the PCB. Also the rear switch has had tracks cut. The tracks where cut were shorted to the backplane, and the wires have come off and are melted.

Where is the yellow wire meant to go? I can try and get this going here before spending the $15 and waiting another month to swapping the board

Just some suggestions when removing / replacing chips. Use a product called Chip Quick to remove the solder easily. It is an alloy material which melts the solder at a lower temperature level. Otherwise use a narrow tip hot air gun/rework station to remove the chip. This should help avoid lifting pads. Afterwards use copper desoldering braid to clean the pads before replacing the chip. Any kind of rework with wires should use single core wire (multicore is too bulky for thin PCB tracks). Also the usage of flux will help the solder flow

PulkoMandy

Yes, I know all that :)

This is the first board I made and it took a few retries to get things right. Unfortunately this means unsoldering the GAL to reprogram it sor each change... so it suffered a bit from these experiments.

I think the yellow wire goes to the ground plane. Initially the board was designed for 2MB chips, but due to the chis shortage at the time, only 1MB chips were available. So, the unused address bit is grounded.

Your problem will likely be with the orange wire, which either lets another extra address bit go to the memory chip, or force it to ground. Or maybe you can trace it back on the other side of the switch up to the register which stores the current memory configuration

darkhalf

Quoteunsoldering the GAL to reprogram it sor each change
Yeah that is a bit of a pain with SMD stuff. Okay I did a reflow of the components on both sides of the board and used single strand wires and put in positions you mention and all good

Now shows 1MB and now the expanded memory plus games can be used  :)

PulkoMandy

Ok, it's nice that you could fix it by yourself :)

Solo Kazuki

Hi

Actually I'm interested in 2MB expansion, but if it's not possible then I'm interested in 1MB one.

PulkoMandy

I was a bit busy this week. Both versions are available, I'll reply to your PM later today.

hsimpson

Hi

I'm interested in 2MB expansion (plus version).