News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek Floppy Emulator for CPC

Started by emilen72, 15:01, 05 June 14

Previous topic - Next topic

emilen72

look at this link Cortex Amiga Floppy Emulator

do you think that a CPC conversion/adaptation of the firmware and utility will be possible or not?

Carnivius

I not quite sure what this is but the bottom pic is of a CPC right?
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

emilen72

yes :D ... and seem to be work in progress too?!?!?! :o

Munchausen

Yeah the last picture is a CPC running "still rising" from the gotek. He posted it somewhere in this forum too. I think he has loading working fine, but hasn't written a selector application for the CPC yet. That picture has been there for well over a month now, BTW.

OCT

Quote from: Munchausen on 15:13, 05 June 14
a CPC running "still rising" from the gotek. He posted it somewhere in this forum too. I think he has loading working fine, but hasn't written a selector application for the CPC yet.
That was just his little mouth-watering appetizer in this thread I started years ago: "3.5 inch USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator 1.44MB": Could this be a Poor Man's HxC?
As to the selector, is that really a wheel that needs reinventing from scratch (or wouldn't we have some people and code base to help out for the most part) ?
Especially since some frustration seems to kick in on À propos | Cortex Amiga Floppy Emulator as of late...

pelrun

I can't blame the guy - I've got a gotek in my parts bin waiting for me to write a CPC firmware for it as well, and I've not gotten to it yet either.

Token

I'm waiting too. Normally the ST version is about to be released. Then the CPC. But with holydays, maybe it's not for now.
I have 3 Gotek, I'll make earrings with anyway.
Very nice on my Amiga 500. Just drag'n'drop the ADF in the USB key since total commander, fast no brainer, perfect for my little use.

SyX

I can understand his frustration perfectly and you can get a little depress... But the true thing is Hervé has made a brilliant work and will release the CPC version and the sources in the moment he gets enough free time to finish everything :)

Neil79

Surprised it's not done yet really :(
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

jbaudrand

Audronic

I also would like to see this project completed

Thanks

Ray W
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Audronic on 01:53, 16 December 14
I also would like to see this project completed

Thanks

Ray W
Why? I know I will probably get roasted here, but we already have a wonderful Floppy Emulator for the CPC with all the features of the Gotek and more. (It also looks nicer IMHO in he HxC devices. so why is everyone waiting for a Hacked firmware for a less able floppy emulator when you can buy an HxC right now and it will work perfectly with an official firmware?

OK The HxC is more expensive (not by mush tbh) but the developer provides regular updates and new format support/bugfixes frequently. Personally I'd always recommend the HxC over a Gotek. But I guess that is my choice.

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Audronic

@CraigsBar

I have a HXC which works.

Please don't stop development because we have something similar.
The more projects the better so in the end we have a choice.

Thanks

Ray W
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Audronic on 03:27, 16 December 14
@CraigsBar

I have a HXC which works.

Please don't stop development because we have something similar.
The more projects the better so in the end we have a choice.

Thanks

Ray W

Choice is a good thing, However in a market as small as the CPC is at this stage in it's life, choice also means a split market, and therefore less support or userbase over all.

The amount of work that Lotharek has put into making the HxC devices as powerful and user friendly as they are should be rewarded with sales. Introduce another (Cheaper but less flexable.capable) alternative into the market and the potential sales fall.

I want more people to buy the HxC and therefore it become the defacto standard. That way we will get more software using the SD Card Access like SymbOS does and therefore more potential for the device itself.

Just my thoughts. Buy an HxC ;-)

I will get 2 more shortly, one for my 4128 plus and one for my PcW 9512+

TotO

This project is the best, because that will allow peoples to get a cased 3"1/2 drive for a good price and simply use an USB pen-drive for data exchanges.
It's a great success on PC/ST/Amiga now, because each peoples can buy some of them for each computer. (around 25€)

So yes, it wil be great to finally get it on CPC. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Munchausen

Not that the HxC is over priced per-se, but because it is made for profit it is a lot more expensive than a gotek. I've seen a gotek for £15... HxC is what, 70 euros at least? This is enough of a difference that I have not ever bought an HxC, though I would really like one (actually I'd really like 3!).

I do wish there was a good open source disk emulator, preferably taking edisk images directly, for those willing to build their own... I have built an SDiskEmul but I have never been able to get it fully working - and even this is not open source (the source code is not available and the schematics seem obfuscated).

gerald

Quote from: Munchausen on 17:31, 16 December 14
Not that the HxC is over priced per-se, but because it is made for profit it is a lot more expensive than a gotek.
Gotek is done for profit as well, but is manufactured in china and natively support DOS format only. Once Europe and China have the same level of salary, you may not be able to afford any of them  ;D .

Quote from: Munchausen on 17:31, 16 December 14
I do wish there was a good open source disk emulator
Me too. HxC was, until some wise people decided to make money out of someone else work.

Token

The Gotek project seems to be deadlocked with sellers on Ebay and elsewhere.
The promise of open sources were nice in the beginning.
The author wrote long time ago he wanted to sell by himself the flashed Gotek, but I think he made some conclusions. From what I read it's going nowhere since. But let's wait a bit more  :)

Bryce

Gotek is Chinese rubbish, but it does the job. I still prefer the HxC though. Alone the simplicity of the interface and the fact that I can use it on so many of my Retro computers makes it well worth the difference.

Bryce.

JonB

"....and the fact that I can use it on so many of my Retro computers"

That's the main point for me, too, although so far I used it on a Tandy TRS80 Model 4 only. A very useful tool, if a little unwieldy if you have a lot of disk images on the SD card.

Audronic

@ JohnB

"....[/size]and the fact that I can use it on so many of my Retro computers"
Do you have any info on how to use a Gotek with the model 4 TRS-80 Please or a link to any info.

Thanks Ray W
Procrastinators Unite,

CraigsBar

Quote from: Audronic on 11:43, 11 January 15
@ JohnB

"....[/size]and the fact that I can use it on so many of my Retro computers"
Do you have any info on how to use a Gotek with the model 4 TRS-80 Please or a link to any info.

Thanks Ray W
not the Gotek, the hxc. The point was that the hxc works on everything.