News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

No problem, send it over (later).

Bryce.

pelrun

Quote from: KaosOverride on 20:11, 14 June 15
I have found some code to use an ATMEGA8/16 as a text OSD overlay, looks like can be attached to the video DIN internally. The ATMEGA8/111111116 has i2c bus so maybe a 2x16 display simulation can be coded if the ATMEGA can manage it.

The big problem you're going to hit with this approach is that the OSD takes up most of the resources on the AVR, including the hardware I2C peripheral. Which makes it very difficult to then communicate with the Gotek.

TFM

Do you know that, or do you guess that? Because it makes no sense to me, dealing with the OSD takes minor CPU time, the AVR just sends few bytes.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 15:37, 16 June 15
Do you know that, or do you guess that? Because it makes no sense to me, dealing with the OSD takes minor CPU time, the AVR just sends few bytes.

I think he means that it takes up most of the AVRs program space, not CPU time.

Bryce.

TFM

But it's like sending characters to a terminal. (Simple). Or do I still miss the point?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 15:37, 16 June 15
The AVR act as a CRTC, which has to sync with the CPC one and output pixel at the right time.
The task is 'simple' but indeed use a lot of cpu time because you have to feed a parallel to serial peripheral with the pixels during the line display.
While you can limit the overlay to one or two text lines, the I2C line need to be check regularly (200k / 800k per second) if you do it by SW. There are supporting HW, but these are bit based and may be already used by the CRTC part.

KaosOverride

The I2C lines (PC5, PC4) are free at the design. I can also rise the CLK to higher speeds to gain some CPU power, but that will strech the text. It uses Csync and Vsync, which are avaiable onboard (Video DIN Csync and PPI8255 Vsync) Sure I will need to optimize the I2C decoding routines and ignore some unused commands from the display. Fortunately there are a lot of datasheet PDFs with the protocol explained :)

Well, first I have to prepare a HxC Gotek for my CPC, I had to take all may retro stuff to the garage because of the new family member, and taking care of a baby don't let too much time for this things!!!  :P

Maybe is time to order the parts and play a little when I can.
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

TFM

IMHO that's way too much effort. One can't buy time.  ;)  So I stick with the HxC.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

a7mag3ddon

Gryzor

Well, it's just this:

Direct *.ST / *.IMG file support added

Cool, but not for us :)

bjt

Nearly there. Just need to hook up the gotek to the DDI-1.

Yrouel

Quote from: bjt on 08:11, 21 June 15
Nearly there. Just need to hook up the gotek to the DDI-1.

Nice. If you want you can power the Gotek directly from the DDI-1 clone, you just need to add the 2 pin header next to the floppy connector.
Hint: if you do that bend it 90° otherwise you won't be able to close back the DDI-1. For the same reason I had to use the thinner floppy connector (the one that sits in the middle of the cable which is different from the one at the beginning in that the latter has the cable folded back and that makes it taller) on the DDI-1 end.

bjt

Thanks for tip. I'm using that PC PSU to power the CPC as well so it's no big deal.

McKlain

Guy0me

Quote from: McKlain on 22:29, 21 June 15

Can you just flash that firmware at your own risk or do you need to pay to make things properly?
For the first time you need to flash the firmware with a special serial cable.. and for the next you just need a usb key with the file on it..
Me i ask to someone who sells Gotek on ebay to do it for me .. in France..

McKlain

Yes, I know. I have a gotek here that I bought on ebay recently and I'm awaiting for the usb programmer cable to arrive.

What I mean is that if you can do the flashing yourself just downloading that file or do you need to pay. I ask because of what I've read on the hxc page:

"Contact me by email to get an account on the update server."

I've read in other places that the firmware (or better said, the account) costs 10€. I just want to know how to proceed.

a7mag3ddon

The initial firmware is 10 Euros. After that free update.

Ast

Did it work on Amstrad Plus format? What are the differences between old cpc and Amstrad Plus connections?

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

Token

I tried the last FW version that read .ST format on a 4Mo STe. It's gonna be very nice on the CPC. I like it, new key fonctions, file viewer, cool random colors, and more... It's fast, I love it.

McKlain

Quote from: Ast on 23:13, 21 June 15
Did it work on Amstrad Plus format? What are the differences between old cpc and Amstrad Plus connections?

If you are going to use it externally, you need a cable with a centronics type connector, like the ones on schneider cpcs. Besides that, I think that everything is the same.

Also an user of amstrad.es forums said that he had to disable the "ready signal" bridge on his data cable to make the gotek work properly on the 6128 plus. On an old 6128 that wasn't needed.

Guy0me

Quote from: Ast on 23:13, 21 June 15
There is no difference between plug the Gotek on CPC Old or Plus ..
I use them internal in both CPCs with the same cable with no ready signal bridge because it's a jumper on the Gotek who made it (Mo)
5v of course for the power ..

Ast

Thanks for your answer. ;D

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

bjt

OK, I have this working now (DDI-1 clone with Gotek).
Couple questions/issue I haven't seen raised, would be very grateful for info.

- I should be using a flat (no twist) floppy cable right? Will a twist just switch the drive A-B?
- What does the button on the DDI clone do? Mine seems to have no effect.
- What's the correct jumper configuration for the Gotek? Mine had a jumper on DS1 which I had to move to DS0 to make it work.
- I can start the file selector, but once I select an image and exit the Gotek gets into a state where the display is flickering between "hXc" and something else very rapidly. Has anyone else gotten the file selector software to work? In this state the CPC thinks there is no disc inserted.

Yrouel

Quote from: bjt on 15:44, 22 June 15
OK, I have this working now (DDI-1 clone with Gotek).
Couple questions/issue I haven't seen raised, would be very grateful for info.

- I should be using a flat (no twist) floppy cable right? Will a twist just switch the drive A-B?
Just use a flat cable, avoid the complication ;) I just moved the middle connector closer to the other connector to shorten the cable and sliced away the rest.
- What does the button on the DDI clone do? Mine seems to have no effect.

Should reset the CPC, try pressing it a bit longer

- What's the correct jumper configuration for the Gotek? Mine had a jumper on DS1 which I had to move to DS0 to make it work.

I have mine working with M0 and DS0
- I can start the file selector, but once I select an image and exit the Gotek gets into a state where the display is flickering between "hXc" and something else very rapidly. Has anyone else gotten the file selector software to work? In this state the CPC thinks there is no disc inserted.

Seems to be a bug of the
v3.0.5.0a, with a fresh cfg file it works but as soon as you save some change it does what you describe. I reverted to the previous firmware version.