News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Cholo

Quote from: KaosOverride on 21:23, 19 March 14
Cholo, maybe the China Post Air Mail saves you from customs :)
Indeed, i did get lucky when i imported a Everdrive MD so it definately is possible  ;D

Gryzor

For some reason I've never had to pay duties when ordering from China, and DealExtreme knows I've bought quite a few items!   

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:30, 23 April 14
For some reason I've never had to pay duties when ordering from China, and DealExtreme knows I've bought quite a few items!   

That's because they include a customs declaration form that has some blatant lie about the content value stuck on it. :D

Bryce.

Token

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:30, 23 April 14

Same. Some time ago I bought on ebay a Spdif cable 1€ shipped from China/Hong Kong. After a month and a week I was recredited. 24h later the cable was there... ;P

Bryce

Quote from: Token on 20:13, 23 April 14

Same. Some time ago I bought on ebay a Spdif cable 1€ shipped from China/Hong Kong. After a month and a week I was recredited. 24h later the cable was there... ;P

That could have happened even if it was only coming from your neighour. We've all seen how the French Post works: Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis — Wikipédia :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 19:55, 23 April 14
That's because they include a customs declaration form that has some blatant lie about the content value stuck on it. :D

Bryce.

Oh, yes, I know. Buy a phone, get some "mobile accessories, $5". But, I'm sure customs know that, too!

Guy0me

Hi Fellas! Anyone has any news on this famous Gotek for CPC? Especially the story of a specially dedicated Firmware our bikes? It is well advanced Amiga side apparently .. ;)

pelrun

Looks like the amiga guy dropped off the planet after his first release, and no source (sigh). I'm the other guy who planned to do it and I'm equally lazy :)

I'm playing with the idea again (now that my CPC is set up and working again), but it'll still take a while to get anywhere useful.

TotO

Quote from: pelrun on 13:11, 10 March 15
Looks like the amiga guy dropped off the planet after his first release, and no source (sigh).
Sure, because peoples started to make money with his work by selling the Gotek twice the price!
Poor Amiga community... They always kill the gloden egg's chiken. :laugh:

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Guy0me

Looks like the amiga guy dropped off the planet after his first release, and no source (sigh). I'm the other guy who planned to do it and I'm equally lazy
I'm playing with the idea again (now that my CPC is set up and working again), but it'll still take a while to get anywhere useful.
Ok thank you for the information i guess the project is falling of the tree lol.. good luck anyway if you got some motivation for working on it again  ;D

jrodriguezv

Good luck with this project! It would be great for our CPCs, I'm sure you can feel the support of the users to help you with motivation :-)

pelrun

Edit: videos from people who don't post any way of actually duplicating the setup annoy me >:(

McKlain

Time to buy a gotek then :P

Jeff_HxC2001

Hi,

All details will come soon.   :)

jf

robcfg

Cool! I have an older gotek lying around and it would be awesome to give it good use.

Waiting for more good news!

Neil79

Buy GOTEK - Sell HxC - Profit?  :P :P
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

TotO

As I have read on cpc-rulez's forum, peoples already owning the gotek will be able to update themself the firmware for around 10€.
Others will be able to buy the already flashed device.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

I recently got a Gotek drive for an A600 I've been setting up (not for myself). I like its simplicity over the HxC...

KaosOverride

Quote from: TotO on 14:02, 14 March 15
As I have read on cpc-rulez's forum, peoples already owning the gotek will be able to update themself the firmware for around 10€.
Others will be able to buy the already flashed device.

So, we pay 10€ and got the firmware file, or we send the gotek and receive it flashed por 10€+shipment?
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:55, 22 March 15
I recently got a Gotek drive for an A600 I've been setting up (not for myself). I like its simplicity over the HxC...
Simplicity = Lack of function ;)

I love the fact that an HXC can operate as a Symbos Hard drive with direct access to the SD card, I like the 15 slots and a beautiful rom-based app to manage them. I love the fact the HXC has a decent LCD screen so you know what DSK file is active without needing to remember the disk number.

I am crying out to save up for another (few) HXC's before I get a gotek. Sorry and I am sure it is a very elegant mod to the standard gotek, but I really do not see the point when an HxC is only a bit more expensive and offers so much more, and excellent support as a bonus ;)

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: KaosOverride on 20:43, 22 March 15
So, we pay 10€ and got the firmware file, or we send the gotek and receive it flashed por 10€+shipment?

No shipping is needed. This is an online service. You will got a PC software and a login + password to flash your gotek(s).
I hope to provide some beta test account this week or next week.

BTW this service is already working since some months for the legacy HxC - You can flash your PIC MCU online ;)

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:54, 22 March 15
Simplicity = Lack of function ;)

I love the fact that an HXC can operate as a Symbos Hard drive with direct access to the SD card, I like the 15 slots and a beautiful rom-based app to manage them. I love the fact the HXC has a decent LCD screen so you know what DSK file is active without needing to remember the disk number.

I am crying out to save up for another (few) HXC's before I get a gotek. Sorry and I am sure it is a very elegant mod to the standard gotek, but I really do not see the point when an HxC is only a bit more expensive and offers so much more, and excellent support as a bonus ;)

Craig

Thanks for your support.
Sure that the HxC is not only an ADF/DSK player. This is an universal floppy emulator and that's why the whole solution is quite different from the others stuff. I can tell that more than 10K HxC are out there and many are used into very special/sensitive/famous places ;) :
HxC2001 : HxC Floppy Emulator Showroom & Feedbacks
This would not be possible with an simple "ADF" / "RAW" player device.
FYI The "next generation" HxC series is planned after this "Gotek" conversion stuff.  :D

TFM

Interesting! Does the next generation has an advantage for the CPC series?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

pelrun

Was gonna throw a wobbly about closed source using the gpl'ed hxc code but then I noticed this is actually being done by the HxC guys themselves, so they're entitled to release it how they like. I'll happily pony up the dosh for a firmware image.

Guy0me

FYI is not a music project from floppy disk ?  ;D its a joke right lol