News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

pelrun

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:29, 19 September 15
Any ideas about that mode?

The bootloader is the firmware flashed to the gotek with the serial slave tool (that you need to pay per device to use.) After that the Gotek will freely update from any UPD file found on it's usb stick if you power on with both buttons pressed.

Gryzor

n00b

Hi there,

finally I got my CPC 6128 floppy drive working again and now I'm not sure if I really want to replace it with a GOTEK drive with HxC Firmware installed...

I think it is possible to install the GOTEK as an external drive but I don't know which cables and/or adapters I have to use to realise such a project. So could you give me some advice, please?  ;D

Oh, and will there be any disadvantages when using the GOTEK as an external drive (i.e. using the GOTEK as an external drive with an Amiga 500 will result in a loss of available working memory)?

THX!

Thomas

PulkoMandy

You need a standard floppy cable (edge connector or centronics on CPC side, HE10 34 pin on Gotek side) and a power supply.

There is no problem with using the Gotek as drive B (no extra memory use), but, some programs only want to run from drive A. You can add a switch to force the Gotek to be drive A even when using the external connector, which avoids that problem.

n00b

Thanks for your quick reply! :)

Is there a ready-to-buy-solution for a centronics-to-HE10-adapter and has that adapter eventually the needed 5V line on board already?

And is the a tutorial etc. for the needed switch, too?

Regards,

Thomas

EDIT:

Is it really that simple? Just connecting a 36 pin centronics plug (crimp version) straight to the 34 pin floppy female connector as shown at the Wiki page?  :o

DIY:Floppy Drives - CPCWiki

And for changing the GOTEK from Drive B to A I just have to connect pins 11 and 12 of the Floppy connector after powering up?

Guide on how to connect a 3.5 - CPCWiki

Just another question comes into my mind: Will this work with a GOTEK SFR1M44-U100K, too or do I have to use a SFRM72-FU-DL...?

n00b

I'll answer the question myself:  Yes, it's that simple.  ;D

And it works with a SFR1M44-U100K, too.  ;)

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

a7mag3ddon

I was just wondering if there is/ is going to be any progress on the file browser to support .dsk files, i remember last summer it said coming soon?

Thanks for reading.

Kris

@nOOb: nice integration :)

@a7mag3ddon: no news from Jeff about the .DSK management.......I'm not sure that he is still working on :(

n00b

@Kris : THX!  :D

Quote from: Kris on 09:55, 25 February 16
I'm not sure that he is still working on
I hope so....

An official sound mod for Amiga & CPC would be nice as well.  :)

Kris

I tried the "sound Mod" few weeks ago just for fun and I came back to a standard Gotek: noise is really not necessary at all !
The only good thing is the display using a i2C interface  ;)

a7mag3ddon

I think he is still working on it, there has been several updates over the last 6 -8 Months.

The sound mod is easy and only a few £'s. Magnetic speaker, transistor and a resistor.

ziko

ukmarkh

Quote from: n00b on 19:59, 25 January 16
I'll answer the question myself:  Yes, it's that simple.  ;D

And it works with a SFR1M44-U100K, too.  ;)

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

Does that device negate the need for a controller, and would it work on a 6128 Plus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a7mag3ddon

Gotek still required a disk controller.

a7mag3ddon

And will work on any machine with a floppy drive. Just swap them out.

Kris

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 14:53, 25 February 16
And will work on any machine with a floppy drive. Just swap them out.

You mean " a PC standard floppy drive"; it will not work directly on CPC for example...you have to flash the internal firmware first.

pelrun

A standard gotek works perfectly well on a CPC, it's just limited to it's own image format and tools.

ukmarkh

Quote from: pelrun on 17:16, 25 February 16
A standard gotek works perfectly well on a CPC, it's just limited to it's own image format and tools.

With a disk controller... but that's the issue for most. Disk controllers for the Amstrad aren't exactly cheap?

a7mag3ddon

I know a guy that makes disk interfaces. Check out Facebook Amstrad CPC. His name is Piotr Bugati he also makes complete Amstrad clones/ spectrum/ floppy emulators for 464/6128 he's awesome. I bought a 128k spectrum clone from him.

ukmarkh

Can you ask him to come join the CPC Wiki?

n00b

Quote from: ukmarkh on 14:49, 25 February 16
Does that device negate the need for a controller, and would it work on a 6128 Plus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I don't know what you mean exacly with "controller"... But the GOTEK can be plugged directly into the CPC's external floppy port (edge connector on Amstrad machines / Centronics plug on Schneider machines).

I've flashed the firmware with the HxC software from Jeff because I wanted to have the l2c display support. :)

Yes, according to the Wiki-Page it should work with the CPC6128 Plus, too. ;)

villain

Quote from: ukmarkh on 20:22, 25 February 16
Can you ask him to come join the CPC Wiki?

He only needs to log-in. :-)

Ast

Do i have to use ata doc or Microsoft ide doc when i send #ec command ?

Edit: post would not posted here. Sorry for the mistake !!!

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

a7mag3ddon

Floppy drive emulator :-)