News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek USB in a CPC6128

Started by Gryzor, 17:01, 18 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

...or should I say "Gotek ou-es-be the-pe-the"? :D

Some Spaniard can do a little summary?

Amstrad CPC con Gotek USB - YouTube

Amstrad CPC con Gotek USB - YouTube

mr_lou

Wow! That didn't take long!
I WANT ONE!

One of my mates recently put one of those in his Amiga 600.
I thought it would take ages before someone put one in a CPC.

Gryzor

mr_lou

I just noticed he's using IMG files though.

I will stick with my HxC's until someone creates a custom firmware for the GOTEK allowing us to use DSK files directly.

Gryzor

Huh. How do you create IMG files?

dcdrac

ok so how was it physically done

TotO

One more guy who not found the external FDD connector on the CPC back.
Destroy them all !!!  :-X
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MacDeath

QuoteOne more guy who not found the external FDD connector on the CPC back.
the whole impact of this 464 fetichism that exists in some floppy challenged cultures... ;D

Wouldn't happen in France of course. :P

KaosOverride

Hi!

I posted already here  ;D "3.5 inch USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator 1.44MB": Could this be a Poor Man's HxC?

Ok, the hack is this: I'm using IBM format, so it's compatible with PC Floppy phisical track format. For the Gotek is like feeding a PC with a Linux or Minix image.

At the video description are links to the tools (My own DSKIMA and CPCDiskXP with IBM hack to 250kb .DSK )

DSKIMA:        https://mega.co.nz/#!bQVFzCAL!OH_5ERMYTXALRupPjD1RCXmIykB8gOl4JxUSBZ2ZZ3M
CPCDISKXP:  CPCMANIA - Amstrad CPC Mania - News

Also, the Gotek drive MUST BE the SFRM72-FU-DL because is the only one which works at DD (720ks) and has READY signal (with a jumper setting)

The DSKIMA (Alpha version, is a quick and dirty program) is the soft I used to convert DSKs to IMG and do first testings with USB floppy drives.

So yes.. I use the Gotek original firmware.

No other models work because they use HD formats (1.44Mb), has to be SFRM72-FU-DL...

And yes, I used the internal connector because is a CPC I have already modded for 3.5" and PARADOS, so the cable is adapted for PC Floppy drive, the power also, and the pity that PARADOS is not IBM format friendly on power on... that's the cause I have to reconfig it each power on...

I also want a CPC DSK firmware, but I don't have the knowing to do one. I have done the trick to survive until a firmware is done ;)
KaosOverride · GitHub
MEGA Amstrad Public Amstrad folder

KaosOverride

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:56, 18 March 14
Wouldn't happen in France of course. :P

LOL

Now I live at Urrugne, France....  :P :P :P
KaosOverride · GitHub

KaosOverride

Also, the DSKIMA converts on the fly DATA and SYSTEM to IBM format. Hacked filesystems (Original AMSDOS readable, 250kb) are supported
KaosOverride · GitHub

Gryzor

Does it do bulk conversions?

KaosOverride

No, but it's command line with argument

DSKIMA FILE.DSK

And creates FILE.IMG

some kind of .BAT may help

FOR %f in (*.DSK) DO DSKIMA %f

or something like that....

EDITED!
KaosOverride · GitHub

dcdrac

ok so internally the 6128 needs the connector changed in order to get this drive to work and voltages changes?

KaosOverride

Yes dcdrac, is just a normal 3.5" PC drive mod at the CPC side

And the power connector is inverted. 5v at 12V and viceversa (But you don't need 12V...) Just flip the connector!!!

I use the above configuration for the data cable because you can go back to 3" drive :)
KaosOverride · GitHub

Gryzor

Oh, that's a great cable!

KaosOverride

Instead of moving 6 cables as I have seen at other mods, I move only 2 so the correct select signal lets the 3.5" be DS1 so you only have to deal with the READY signal :)
KaosOverride · GitHub

MacDeath

is this specific Gotek model still easy to find ?

so, does it work or needs a lot of hacks ?

Cholo

Really great idea. So many people has asked for a good way to get game/files back to a real 6128 and i fear many simply gave up when they couldnt find a ancient 3,5" drive with the ready signal or found one on ebay for like £250 and didnt want to get ripped off. Then there was/is the whole troubles that you still needed a pc with internal 3,5" access to write the amstrad format images. Then there is the people who got confused connecting a modern 3,5" drive externally but gets confused by the modding or pre-modded cable.

This Gotek one really look "userfriendly" as it does the ready signal. Having the USB port instantly fixes the usual pc problems. So all you really need is a 6128, a normal floppy cable, the Gotek and a way to power it .. and you are set without any modding at all really. First thing you should transfer of cause is some kinda software that makes your 6128 read 720k pc formatted discs of cause  ;)

Then it all comes down to price really and this one may depend a lot on where you live. Looks like a good £30 for a Gotek on ebay imported from China. Alas in my end of the world the basic import tax on imported hardware is £18 + 25% of the value of the item. So this quickly gets as expensive as my HxC. Still if you can get the Gotek cheaper or without import taxes its a lot cheaper. One way or the other its definately a friendly solution.

Oh, and nice internal mod  ;)

KaosOverride

Quote from: MacDeath on 20:41, 19 March 14
is this specific Gotek model still easy to find ?

I got it from here:
Free Shipping SFRM72 FU DL USB Floppy Drive Emulator Gray-in Floppy Drives from

There is also another source with similar price :
Free Shipping SFRM72 FU DL USB Floppy Drive Emulator Gray-in Floppy Drives from

I had no problem with customs at France, nor I had ever at Spain.

Also to mention... My 720k drive was grey, but I swapped the case with the black Gotek I bought for my Amigas  ;D

Quoteso, does it work or needs a lot of hacks ?

No, just plug to the CPC as normal 3.5" drive, with correct DSx jumper (Always DS1 external, or internal with my internal mod of 2 displaced wires. Maybe DS0 with other mods), jumper at READY option as quoted in the PDF at the "drivers" CD, and feed it with 5V, ready for action.

Then you take a FAT16/32 USB drive and make a IMG720 folder, put your *.IMG files and proceed as normal Gotek use with the "image" mode

Image mode:
-- With no USB plugged
-- Press both buttoms (Increase hundreds at display) until you pass 900, so you se b00 (image mode)
-- Use left (tens) or right (units) to select image number ( b00 - b99 )
-- Plug in USB key
-- Press right to MOUNT image ( b03 will mount 003.IMG, etc)  (note 1***, see below)
-- Wait while d0 message from display
-- You can unplug the USB, the image is LOADED in the Gotek drive flash memory

(note 1*** --> if you press left button at this moment, the Gotek will SAVE the already flash mounted image to selected number showing d2 message at display)

So you can load for example Art Studio from image 003.IMG, load the program, then load an empty image from other image ( 006.IMG?) save your work and save the image to 007.IMG, 045.IMG or again to 006.img. (You can overwrite images, danger...)

Cholo, maybe the China Post Air Mail saves you from customs :)

Now i'm thinking... the folder is IMG720, so the firmware knows the type of image is working... I will try if my other Gotek is CPC friendly also, so I will have CPC friendly drives for 18€, not 33€  :o

Manufacturer says they're different but ... are chinese  :laugh:
KaosOverride · GitHub

MacDeath

yeah... they only change the sticker and the firmware, probably...
mine has no sticker on it... I unscrewed it and could read on the board :
SFRA619

haven't looked at the other side of the board though... wait... nothing there anyway...

could you tell us the number/reference code indicated on the board of yours please ?
may be interesting to compare the boards perhaps.

QuoteManufacturer says they're different but ... are chinese
:laugh:
yeah, my feelings as well... may just be software differences.

This said, those chinese may be interested by a new market : the retro comunity...
If they keep the same price but provide software solutions, this could be nice.
sadly they suck at english I bet.

according to their site, they aim at the following markets :
LABELWEAVING MACHINE , FLAT KNITTING MACHINE , EMBROIDERY MACHINE...
perhaps also a few MIDI synthetisers with built in floppies...

to be fair the retro CPC/Speccy/AtariST/Amiga market could be quite a bit market to them... but they may not even know about its existence.

Many of us would certainly buy a few units in order to equip most of our machines...
I for example would get one or two for my CPC, one for my amiga and one for my Atari STes...

Anyway : someone should start a CPCwiki page on the matter...

KaosOverride

If you power on the Gotek pressing both buttoms, you get your firmware version on the display :)
KaosOverride · GitHub

MacDeath

er... on a 2 digit display ? :D

KaosOverride

I don't have the docs now, but remember some mention about it.... Give a try!! :)
KaosOverride · GitHub

KaosOverride

Pfff, have checked and version numbers have nothing in common.... :(

Don't know if I can ask the seller for the DD720ReadyImage firmware....
KaosOverride · GitHub