News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Greetings!

Started by Lazy Dude, 22:15, 16 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazy Dude

Greetings all Amstrad cpc users!  :P
Some familiar names I see on here from the old cpc zone forum, thought it was about time I got on the board for cpcwiki to check out whats happening.
Anyhow for those who don't remember my user name, I will (re)post a picture of  my fave toy. Then check out what the reactions are from you guys!!
cheers!

TFM

Great picture!

Welcome here and...

Greetings program!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Welcome mate, good to have you back! :)

What does it run? It doesn't have a stick, so....??

Hope you stick around. This place is going from strength to strength!

steve

Is that an amstrad monitor?

Gryzor

Ohhh crap I think you're right!

Kris

Great DIY but where is the keyboard ???  :o

MacDeath

This is an amstrad Monitor too... ;D

steve

It's a Russian clone! :o :laugh:

Lazy Dude

hopefully the following pile of images will answer any questions.... exept Gryzor's mention of the lack of joystick  >:(  its what all my mates gripe about when hammering away at 1943. All I can say to that is ZXFC  !!

the jumble of orange wires enable the front panel buttons to connect to any keyboard or joy 1& 2 pins
cunningly the 464 pcb has a spare row of solder holes (18 I think?) to enable external controls

steve

Very clever, just two questions.

Do you load software from tape?

Does the monitor overheat after a few hours?

MacDeath

Well, you can add a cooler fan.

Also, a bit of a shame : only 64K...

Tape ? perhaps a MP3 device would be better then.

But, it is a bit dusty too...

Lazy Dude

built it about errr... 7-8 years ago I think. Yep tape loading, but only need to load in a game once, then the power supply unit stays always on, theres a power switch under the blue panel at the front which knocks off the monitor & amp only when not in use. The monitors good as gold. I guess if you had it at more of an angle it might get the arse and overheat.
MacDeath- there are plans afoot as we speak to build another console using a 6128 running one of them new fangled HxC floppy emulators amongst other tricks! what you see above was as good as I could get with what I was capable of at the time. In reality its totaly impractical as some games require the buttons to be reconnected differently, deffo not fun after a few drinks!
But still I love it.
What I'm up to next is what I'll be hopefully posting up on here for you chaps to see as it progresses. Stay tuned!

steve

You could use Bryce's Megaflash to have 512KB storage without having to keep the power on.
Although with that name it should have 1MB flash. ;D

MacDeath

The main thing is : what do you run on this...

This can be As much an awfull speccyport station as a guenuine axesome stuff...

Sadly not the best format to play "Sid Meyer's Pirates!"...
;)

TFM

Quote from: steve on 01:54, 20 November 11
You could use Bryce's Megaflash to have 512KB storage without having to keep the power on.

Well is has 4 Mbit Flash :) It's a good idea to use it for a games launch menu in a CPC arcade :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

OCT

Quote from: TFM/FS on 06:51, 20 November 11Well is has 4 Mbit Flash :) It's a good idea to use it for a games launch menu in a CPC arcade :-)))
Then again cartridge work by the same solderer might come to something like the multicart Demonstrator (inside a single module with today's technology, will need a new acronym though) which if run on a GX4000 may help avoid butchering a Plus.

fano

Amazing ! i really love that !

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 21:45, 19 November 11there are plans afoot as we speak to build another console using a 6128 running one of them new fangled HxC floppy emulators amongst other tricks! what you see above was as good as I could get with what I was capable of at the time. In reality its totaly impractical as some games require the buttons to be reconnected differently, deffo not fun after a few drinks!
But still I love it.
What keymapping do you use ?
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

Lazy Dude

just looking at the 464 pcb picture on the wiki hardware bit shows a 1983 version, mines a 1984 which has slightly different keyboard connection.
left in pic shows a white molex connector and the board is blank next to it, where as mine has 2x membrane connectors in the "blank" space leaving a spare row of solder holes (where the '83 has the molex) for me to tag off & connect up to arcade buttons.
couple of pics from a dead 464 to elaborate~

as for the games, 64k is just fine! Galactic plague never looked better- superb game... (just kidding!)
Ikari warriors, who dares wins 2, silkworm, wec lemans, 1943, prohibition all get a good run out.
Some great upgrade suggestions guys, but as this unit was completed almost 10 years ago, development has ceased.

A new chapter is beginning with a donor 6128, its disc drive had died and so becomes the ideal candidate for the transformation.

Lazy Dude

I'd like to get one of these for my cpc6128~
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350244621369?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D350244621369%26_sacat%3D0%26_odkw%3DItem%2Bnumber%253A%2B350244621369%26_osacat%3D0%26_trksid%3Dp3286.c0.m270.l1313%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
it looks to be the right thing, anyone know if this is ok for use in uk? not sure if theres any issues with pal vs ntsc here.
Can't say I'm interested in anything using composite video or getting a lcd telly for my cpc

Gryzor

This is lovely, must have been lots of fun to build it!

It could do with some side artwork, though - vinyl printing is really cheap for such a project! Or at least maybe some stickers from RetroGT :)

Lazy Dude

I'm holding back for as long as possible before posting up the visuals of what I'm after for the new toy!!  ;)

Bryce

Quote from: steve on 01:54, 20 November 11

The name originally came from when I built the very first MegaROM, which had 1Mbit of ROM, the MegaFlash ended up having 4Mbit of Flash, so the name stuck.

Bryce.

Lazy Dude

wow time flies! so for hardcore cpc fans who read this thread from the start will have a little clue as to what is coming next :)

I have finally decided to turn my attention to building a "new" Amstrad arcade. Hard work dusting down stuff that's been in storage for years! Anyhow I will post up plenty of pics tomorrow of how its been progressing and concept pics of how I visualise the finished product.
A quick look at whats on the design bench right now, and will get on it for a little chit-chat soon.

Kris

More pics please :)
how do you manage the keyboard ?

Gryzor

Oh wow. Not only does it look ueber-cool, it would be the best prank to play at a company's server rack :D