News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GX 4000 to 6128 conversion kit

Started by Piotr, 18:45, 10 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Piotr

Ok, it take long time but is done:

Few PCB what allow "almost easy" convert GX 4000 to GX 6128.
1. PS2CPC board  , Gerald firmware, installed on AY chip for connect PS2 keyboard
2. CPU signal extension for edge slot mounted in to CPU slot
3. Cardridge with Parados 1.2 in 3d printed case
4.DDI GX (special version DDI ) for load stuff
5. 2x25 expansion port mounted on top, sorry, only DDI GX compatibile becouse is not all signals on it.

Working ;)

megatronuk

In regards to the ps2cpc board, do you happen to have any spares?

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

kriz

Looks great :) Kit is still for sale ?

RetroCPC

Quote from: megatronuk on 13:15, 29 April 20
In regards to the ps2cpc board, do you happen to have any spares?

If there are no more available, then with Gerald's blessing I'd be happy to have small batch made "At Cost"...

(Being relatively new here, I'm presuming its Gerald's design)?

gerald

Quote from: RetroCPC on 19:22, 06 June 20

If there are no more available, then with Gerald's blessing I'd be happy to have small batch made "At Cost"...

(Being relatively new here, I'm presuming its Gerald's design)?
Just go ahead, the design is GPL'd ;)

norecess464

With all the respect I have to this project...... please don't destroy working GX-4000s for creating such a mess of wires with unnecessary expansions connected etc.

Especially when the target machine already exists (the Amstrad 6128 Plus).

I mean, it's 2020 and it's not like if Amstrad was about to make a comeback soon with a new range of 8-bit machines...
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Phantomz

I'd be happy with a simple 128k mod for my GX4000. ;D

pelrun

Quote from: norecess on 19:15, 09 June 20
Especially when the target machine already exists (the Amstrad 6128 Plus).

I've had no luck actually finding one that would cost me less than a thousand AUD, and even those pop up rarely. It's hard enough getting a GX4000 - got scammed the first time, and the second one had a blown ASIC. The vast majority of items from the UK get an automatic extortionate $100 postage amount to Australia, too. (thanks Ebay! You suck!)

Bryce

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:38, 09 June 20
I'd be happy with a simple 128k mod for my GX4000. ;D

It shouldn't be too difficult to bodge the second 64K into a GX4000 internally. It wouldn't be very neat, but other than the PAL and the two RAMs there's not much more you'd need.

Bryce.

Longshot

The Cranium had already done this a few years ago ... ;)
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 10:44, 10 June 20
It shouldn't be too difficult to bodge the second 64K into a GX4000 internally. It wouldn't be very neat, but other than the PAL 2 resistors and the two RAMs there's not much more you'd need.
Fixed   ;)

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I think in the future maybe an FPGA implementation including the PlayCity, 4MB, Albireo and whatever other hardware we would want in a 'dream CPC' is the way to go.

That, and a custom keyboard with the correct colours on it to go with it.

No need to go the full Spectrum Next, I feel it should be fully matching the classic+expansions, otherwise people will write games that require the new features (faster Z80, moar sprites, etc) and IMO that's not on. Spectrum Next needed those of course, the base Spectrum is so limiting.

There's a CPC core for the Next of course, so maybe it's just taking that base board design, tweaking it for the CPC (CPC expansion bus, etc) and providing an external keyboard that doesn't have the ludicrous Spectrum layout.

Actually, I think I wanted to put this in the other thread about retro hardware dying over time. Oh well.

RetroCPC

Quote from: gerald on 17:10, 09 June 20
Just go ahead, the design is GPL'd ;)

Gerald,

Thank you - do you have a link to the most upto date schematic / software? Sorry I'm new to this forum and might be asking basic questions...

In a couple of weeks I'll be issuing a batch of PCB's and I can add this little design to the cut out areas of the boards and have them manufactured effectively for free (bare PCB's)...

Bryce

Quote from: gerald on 15:46, 10 June 20
Fixed   ;)

Thanks. I posted without even checking schematics (or thinking much about it either) :D

Bryce.

gerald

Quote from: RetroCPC on 17:32, 10 June 20
Gerald,

Thank you - do you have a link to the most upto date schematic / software? Sorry I'm new to this forum and might be asking basic questions...

In a couple of weeks I'll be issuing a batch of PCB's and I can add this little design to the cut out areas of the boards and have them manufactured effectively for free (bare PCB's)...
Latest version is here : https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/is-there-any-recent-project-to-connect-a-pc-(ps2)-keyboard-to-the-cpc/msg118456/#msg118456
Note that the layout included in there is an example and use through hole component. The in place PCB that mount under the PPI is not in the archive.
You may want to read the whole thread before jumping into this project  ;)

arkive

Quote from: norecess on 19:15, 09 June 20
With all the respect I have to this project...... please don't destroy working GX-4000s for creating such a mess of wires with unnecessary expansions connected etc.

I have one of these. Nothing has been destroyed, GX is still working fine, seems to be very happy with being power-charged and says hello too :) Yes, it might look a bit odd, but I find it quite fascinating, that's what modding old retro is all about. Being able to use PS/2 keyboard is a boon too. In fact it has replaced the 6128 on my desk as a resident CPC representative, because it's so much smaller.

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 17:14, 10 June 20
No need to go the full Spectrum Next, I feel it should be fully matching the classic+expansions, otherwise people will write games that require the new features (faster Z80, moar sprites, etc) and IMO that's not on. Spectrum Next needed those of course, the base Spectrum is so limiting.

The expansions for your "dream CPC" provide new features too, which then would be used by authors for their games. IMO there's nothing wrong with that, for Next there are some exclusive games and that's fine. But people still write heaps of soft for the original one (being "so limiting" somehow does not hamper them, in fact it seems to help creativity, which is how it always was with this machine).

No need to buy Next for the FPGA core anyway since it's a port of the one which has been available for MiST / MiSTer /ZX Uno and other similar boards for quite some time now.