News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 potential?

Started by manossg, 20:22, 21 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

manossg

Hello, CPC wizards!

I have regretfully sold my Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 bitd, to get an Amiga 500 and now I want to have some true Amstrad experience again, even though WinApe is very nice.

(If I can solve the space issue) I am considering the possibility of buying a 464. But, considering this is 2020, i don't want to mess with old cassette tapes. Does a gotek or a gotek-like thingamajig exist for the 464?

Also, I want the chance to enjoy some 6128 goodness as well. Is there a way to have compatibility with this nice machine as well?

Cheers!

VintageAdvantage

For the 464, I'd recommend getting a standard Gotek drive and a DDI-1 controller. They show up on Ebay, but are rare. It is straight-forward to hook up the Gotek to the DDI-1 (that controller will also drive any other standard drive, e.g., 3", 3.5", 5.25", so it is the best solution still).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERFACE-pour-LECTEUR-EXTERNE-DDI-1-1989-Teste-AMSTRAD-CPC-464/303628821823?hash=item46b1b0253f:g:PRwAAOSwjrpfFcKY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Atari-ST-Amstrad-CPC-GOTEK-FLASH-FLOPPY-OLed-DISPLAY-Buzzer-8gb-USB/142722244180?hash=item213ae89e54:g:-5UAAOSwouparT2i

You can also consider buying a DDI3 or DDI5.

For the 6128, there are internal-Gotek solutions as well.

There are other SDcard-based mass storage solutions available, but these usually lack a true floppy controller chip and hence have their problems.

tjohnson

Unless you really want the look of a 464 a 6128 will be more practical and you can add an hxc drive to it fairly easily.  The 464 doesn't have a disk controller so you would need one and then you have memory limitations to overcome to use all software.  I suppose you could use an m4 but an hxc is an easy solution for loading all softwares.

manossg

Ok, I understand that I need to jump through some hoops, if I want to overcome the storage and memory issues. A 6128 seems like a better solution, even though I prefer the more amstrad-ish look of the 464. <3

Thanks, guys, you rock!

VintageAdvantage

... well, 464 and memory expansions. Not really required for 99% of - everything.
If you get a DDI5, it will have 512 KBs. There is also an option for the DDI3.
Depends on what you wanna do with the CPC.

manossg

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 23:41, 21 July 20
... well, 464 and memory expansions. Not really required for 99% of - everything.
If you get a DDI5, it will have 512 KBs. There is also an option for the DDI3.
Depends on what you wanna do with the CPC.

For now, I would just like to bask in pure CPC glory (and also play some Oh mummy, Pinball Dreams, Sergoth and Ninja Carnage  8)  ).

VintageAdvantage

Pinball Dreams needs 128 KBs AFAIK.

manossg

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 23:46, 21 July 20
Pinball Dreams needs 128 KBs AFAIK.

Sergoth as well. That's why I'm asking.

TotO

Quote from: manossg on 20:22, 21 July 20
(If I can solve the space issue) I am considering the possibility of buying a 464.
If you want to solve the space issue, a 6128 is smallest and can run most of the programs without any expansion attached to it.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

manossg

Quote from: TotO on 07:33, 22 July 20
If you want to solve the space issue, a 6128 is smallest and can run most of the programs without any expansion attached to it.

At the current state of affairs, everything bigger than a Raspberry Pi is out of the question. :P

But you are right, I imagine the expansions will make the 464 even bulkier (if that's even possible).

TotO

Quote from: manossg on 07:40, 22 July 20
At the current state of affairs, everything bigger than a Raspberry Pi is out of the question. :P
In this case, you may run SugarBox bare-metal on a Pi3 config! ;) 
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

manossg

Quote from: TotO on 08:04, 22 July 20
In this case, you may run SugarBox bare-metal on a Pi3 config! ;)

Cool, I didn't know about this one!

GUNHED

Quote from: manossg on 20:22, 21 July 20
I have regretfully sold my Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 bitd, to get an Amiga 500 and now I want to have some true Amstrad experience again...

The three step program will help:
1. Get rid of Amiga and other crap
2. Get a 6128 with color screen
3. Get the M4 card or the SF3 card. And get the LS3 card.

Result: You'll have a great and reliably working system. You will be lucky!  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

manossg

Quote from: GUNHED on 09:27, 22 July 20
The three step program will help:
1. Get rid of Amiga and other crap

My beloved miggy stays where it is! >:(
Quote from: GUNHED on 09:27, 22 July 202. Get a 6128 with color screen
3. Get the M4 card or the SF3 card. And get the LS3 card.

Result: You'll have a great and reliably working system. You will be lucky!  :) :) :)

Yes, I think the 6128 seems like the best solution. Especially with the color screen (I used to have only green screen for both my CPCs and my eyes became like  :o  ).

I don't know about these cards. Would have to research them...

Thanks for the answer!

GUNHED

You'll find anything about them here.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

tjohnson

I know the M4 card I have one and it's useful although I find the hxc/gotek the most useful. What are the other two cards mentioned?

VintageAdvantage

Yeah, the 6128 to the 464 is like the Commodore 128 to the Breadbin.
The 464 is the original and the most iconic. Period. If you are a collector, you will value what came first and defined the platform. It is good to have both the 464 and 6128. But the 464 is the DNA of the CPC series.Personally, I prefer even the 664 to the 6128, because the latter has a terrible wobbely keyboard. Get a tall-key 464! The best keyboard you can find on the CPCs (even better than Plus CPC).

VintageAdvantage

Heard of Raspberry PI, but not of Sugar Box. What is it?