News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hardware problem with 464. AY chip fault?

Started by Novabug, 17:26, 08 August 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Novabug

Hi guys

I recently picked up 2 464's, one model E which works fine and a model D which has a problem. See the first picture. It does this everytime I switch on, with the delete/error key sound repeating. I have checked and cleaned the keyboard and membrane and tested with them connected. Same result.

[size=78%]

I have made the judgement it is the AY chip at fault. Hope that is right. I have acquired an AY-3-8912A from a Spectrum plus 2, Will this chip be a suitable replacement? Does it have a different pin config being an 'A' variant? On the speccy, it is also socketed, do I have to solder a socket in to the cpc board or just put the chip straight on?

Any help would be very much appriacted as I really would like to get this CPC up and running again. :)

Cheers

Novabug

[/size]

gerald

Quote from: Novabug on 17:26, 08 August 14
See the first picture. It does this everytime I switch on, with the delete/error key sound repeating. I have checked and cleaned the keyboard and membrane and tested with them connected. Same result.
Do you get the same result without the keyboard membrane connected ? If so, the AY is likely damaged. (TBW, I can't see any picture  ;) )
Quote from: Novabug on 17:26, 08 August 14I have acquired an AY-3-8912A from a Spectrum plus 2, Will this chip be a suitable replacement?
Yes
Quote from: Novabug on 17:26, 08 August 14do I have to solder a socket in to the cpc board or just put the chip straight on?
A socket is a welcome addition if you have one. Amstrad did not put one just to save some money.

TFM

Oh yes, to socket things is always a good idea.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Novabug

Quote from: gerald on 21:20, 08 August 14
Do you get the same result without the keyboard membrane connected ? If so, the AY is likely damaged. (TBW, I can't see any picture  ;) ) Yes
A socket is a welcome addition if you have one. Amstrad did not put one just to save some money.

I don't have a socket yet, but could get one. Could I solder it straight in anyway?
I assume the 'A' variant on the Speccys chip is irrelevant and has the same configuration as the normal 8912?

Yes, it does the same without the membrane connected. Sorry, picture hasn't displayed the first time. Cheers to the reply. :)

gerald

Quote from: Novabug on 22:14, 08 August 14
I don't have a socket yet, but could get one. Could I solder it straight in anyway?
You can solder the replacement AY, but a socket is still useful if you still have problems after the replacement.
Quote from: Novabug on 22:14, 08 August 14
I assume the 'A' variant on the Speccys chip is irrelevant and has the same configuration as the normal 8912?
The pinout and functionality are identical. I guess A variant uses a different technology node.

Spirantho

Not quite.... the AY-3-8912A is very similar to the non-A version but not identical.
I think in this case you'll be ok, but from memory if you put the wrong type in an Oric-1, some keys don't work. Tested with several chips. I always thought they were identical too... that took quite some loss of hair before I realised it (when trying to fix an Oric)!
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

gerald

Quote from: Spirantho on 06:44, 09 August 14
Not quite.... the AY-3-8912A is very similar to the non-A version but not identical.
I think in this case you'll be ok, but from memory if you put the wrong type in an Oric-1, some keys don't work. Tested with several chips. I always thought they were identical too... that took quite some loss of hair before I realised it (when trying to fix an Oric)!
Interresting !
From datasheet point of view, the differences are on the timing side (setup/hold), H/L voltage level and power consumption.
The voltage level differences could be the reason for your ORIC problems as the matrix is scanned using ~2.5V (from a polarisation resistor) rather than a proper low voltage like on the CPC.

Spirantho

It surprised me too. :)
It was just certain keys, always the same ones. Might be a timing issue too.
Suffice to say I think in an Amstrad you'll be fine with either, but I have spares of both to be safe. :)
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Bryce

I had the same problem with the AY when I fixed my Oric (which turned out to be a dodgy processor in the end anyway  >:( ).

Definitely get and use a socket on the AY.

Bryce.

Novabug

So even using the Speccy plus 2 chip will be ok, even with the plus 2's different key layout?

Could anyone give me the dimensions to the right socket required. Dip 28, 36mm x 15.24mm? Socket pitch for example? 2.54

gerald

Quote from: Novabug on 21:46, 09 August 14
So even using the Speccy plus 2 chip will be ok, even with the plus 2's different key layout?
The layout is managed by the SW. The AY only provide the IO port which is used for reading the keyboard matrix.

Quote from: Novabug on 21:46, 09 August 14
Could anyone give me the dimensions to the right socket required. Dip 28, 36mm x 15.24mm? Socket pitch for example? 2.54
That's the right dimension.
Now I am wondering : do you feel confident unsolder old AY from the PCB ?

Bryce

He doesn't need to unsolder the working AY from the Spectrum, that's socketed already. He only needs to remove the broken one, so assuming he doesn't destroy any tracks on the PCB he should be fine.

Bryce.

Novabug

I have worked on PCB's in welding machinery, so I feel fine about desoldering the chip, using a solder pump.

This socket ok? 1 PC. 28 PIN (2x14) DIL / DIP IC Socket Bargain | eBay

Bryce

Yep, that's the socket you need.

Bryce.

Novabug

Right, the AY has been replaced with the one from the Speccy plus2, (AY-3-8912A) It seems the A variant does has an effect on the keyboard input. Most of the keys when typed display 2 characters at the same time, which makes any programming impossible. But, I can load games and the joystick is mapped correctly. Thoughts chaps?

Bryce

Yes. Who manufactured the AY you've used? Parts from GI and Microchip will work properly, other makes (which you seem to have) will cause this problem. You can solve the problem by getting yourself a GI or Microchip part or by adding pull-up resistors.

Bryce.

Neil79

Oh Hai NovaBug, that bloke from Dizzy thingy ;)  :laugh:
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Bryce

Quote from: Novabug on 23:56, 03 September 14
It's a GI.

Ok, then it's most likely that the 74LS145 has failed.

Bryce.

Novabug

Great.... gonna end up replacing the entire chipset soon. You positive the 'A' variant is not the cause?

Bryce

You could try adding pull-up resistors to see if that solves the problem first.

Bryce.

Novabug

Quote from: Bryce on 09:35, 04 September 14

Bryce.

I'm not certain how to do that, and since then, others have suggested it the SPECCY chip that;s causing it. This is becoming a minefield. HA

asapreta

Quote from: Bryce on 09:35, 04 September 14

Bryce.

Hi, sorry to revive this very old thread but I got a problem that may be solved with some the information on this page.
It seems the 464 board has the place for these pull-up resistors near the keyboard connector.

[attachimg=1]

But I dunno the value. I'm guessing they are about 1Kohm, connected to ports 7 to 14 on the AY8912(A) in this case. As I couldn't find a schematic with this information, I am here asking for help. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

gerald

Quote from: asapreta on 18:30, 09 October 17

Hi, sorry to revive this very old thread but I got a problem that may be solved with some the information on this page.
It seems the 464 board has the place for these pull-up resistors near the keyboard connector.

[attachimg=1]

But I dunno the value. I'm guessing they are about 1Kohm, connected to ports 7 to 14 on the AY8912(A) in this case. As I couldn't find a schematic with this information, I am here asking for help. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

It is only documented on the Amendment service manual, on the 6128 cost down schematic (page 21) as NR102 and it's a 2.2kx8 resistor network.