News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Tape level indicator

Started by Bryce, 16:04, 26 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

tjohnson

That sounds much more useful having a level meter that gives a target level to hit.

RetroCPC

Quote from: Bryce on 16:45, 21 May 20
Yeah, but I'd prefer my own single PCB layout with the sockets and other components together. Also, it has way too many LED's. The device only needs maybe 7 LED's: 3x Red, one green in the middle and 3x Red on the other side. So you know where to hit. The entire device can be much smaller than that.

Bryce.

If time is an issue, then this PCB could be made to work:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sale-1-PC-New-Suite-LM3915-Audio-DIY-Kit-Level-Indicator-Electronic-Production/123198886313?

The pair of RED LED's could be positioned in the center of the LED array to to indicate the Target Playback level - with the LM3915 put into Dot mode (theres a wire link jumper position on the PCB - Pin 9 to select Dot mode). If the number of LEDS offends your sensibilities then you dont have to populate  them all :)

The Gain trim pot can be set so that the displays mid section indicates optimal tape replay level - you would have to live with the counter intuitive RED LED's indicating the correct level.

Can be powered from a 9V battery...

Bryce

That's pretty much what my circuit would do, but with the correct footprint for the CPC tape socket, a bandpass filter and the level (instead of that pot) would be fixed for the correct CPC level.

Bryce.

VintageAdvantage

Compared to other vintage machines, the tape interface of the CPC is pretty good. So I am surprised that such a device is needed at all.

Bryce

The 464 tape circuitry is well designed and at fixed levels. This design is only intended for the 6128 where there is no filtering or anything, just a direct connection from the socket to the 8255.

Bryce.