News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Watchout-American with European hardware! Part 2

Started by Bludax, 08:56, 03 February 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Bludax

Here I am the crazy American again! it has been about two years since my last post and I couldn't be happier with my two GX4000's but I have a shot at a CPC464 and other than how insanely pretty they are I am looking for reasons I might need to own one in addition to my two GX4000's with my beloved C4CPC. I would only use it for games unless I am missing out somehow. I would love to hear any arguments/encouragement/discouragement everyone has including what I am missing out on by just having the game console. Help me make up my mind:-)

Once again it is so hard being a silly American with European hardware, I mean what do you need that huge connector on the back for anyway?;-)

Bryce

What you're missing are those 3 or 4 minutes of soothing loading tones coming from the tape, followed by the reassuring click of a relay telling you it's finished just before the title music begins.

Bryce.

P.s. What huge connector at the back?

Bludax

Thanks Bryce! So missed sounds and apparently loading times:-)

I am referring to the native SCART in a tounge and cheek way. I wish we had gotten SCART so bad. i did just find out that my (other computer company) 1702 monitor might do PAL. That would be a boon for me as i have one of those. I am going to give it a go tomorrow.

Bryce

SCART is only on the GX4000, the other Amstrad computers didn't have that, but they have RGB which makes them relatively easy to connect to SCART monitors or convert to S-Video (which wasn't all that popular in the US either unfortunately).

Bryce.

Dubliner

Quote from: Bludax on 08:56, 03 February 20
I am looking for reasons I might need to own one in addition to my two GX4000's with my beloved C4CPC.
Text adventures! There are many pretty Text Adventures on the Amstrad that make a very good use of the graphic capabilities of the machine. To name one: Doomsday Lost Echoes.

Bludax

@Dubliner That is an excellent point! Text adventures are something that the world has nearly forgotten and it shouldn't. I played two or three of them a long time ago. So long I cannot even remember what they are, but i do remember the experiences and they were great!

||C|-|E||

Quote from: Bludax on 09:39, 07 February 20
@Dubliner That is an excellent point! Text adventures are something that the world has nearly forgotten and it shouldn't. I played two or three of them a long time ago. So long I cannot even remember what they are, but i do remember the experiences and they were great!
You definitely should not forget about them! but a 6128, although "uglier" if you want, is better for playing those games. Just think about the amount of tape SAVEs and LOADs while playing!  :D (unless you decide to tune your 464 a bit)

SRS

Why every 'merican should have a CPC*64/*128 ? Because IF NOT, you are a communist. Very easy ! :o