News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How much RAM does your CPC have?

Started by Devilmarkus, 19:59, 28 June 10

Previous topic - Next topic

How much ram does your CPC have?

7 (16.3%)
23 (53.5%)
320k (64k + 256k)
2 (4.7%)
576k (64k + 512k)
9 (20.9%)
more than 576k!
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: 19:59, 18 July 10

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

MacDeath

Done.

128K : only 6128s and one lone 464... and no extension cards yet.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

trocoloco

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum. It's great to know that there is an active Amstrad community tho.
I've been checking out cpcwiki as well as other Amstrad pages lately and well just I decided to participate and give my humble opinion tho.

And getting to the point now, my answer is 128K. I have a 464 and a 6128  and no expansions ATM, I like to keep it real, although there is nothing wrong with having more memory but IMHO I dont think that so many people got extra ram on their cpcs.

fano

This is weird, this poll owns a "déjà vu" flavor  :P

More seriously , as already said , stock 128K machines here !
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

TFM

Quote from: fano on 21:32, 28 June 10
More seriously , as already said , stock 128K machines here !

The guys with the big machines only seldomly vote twice ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

fano

lol
I'll go a bit further after speaking a bit on R-Type X thread : that could change if a 512K memory expansion is bundled with game using really this memory  :)

TFM

Quote from: fano on 22:15, 28 June 10
lol
I'll go a bit further after speaking a bit on R-Type X thread : that could change if a 512K memory expansion is bundled with game using really this memory  :)

Great idea! And now... I still think that we haven't enough CPCistes creating hardware (like a cheap 0.5 MB expansion ;-) Hope this will change one day. (But we have the best coders).
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

Also what about 192 K ?

I mean you may have both a 464 and a 6128... and only a +64k upgrade... which may fit on both, or not ?

Also i see the cpc472 nowhere ? many spanish do have one.... ;D

/Troll mode off.

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:53, 28 June 10
Also what about 192 K ?

I mean you may have both a 464 and a 6128... and only a +64k upgrade... which may fit on both, or not ?

Well, if you add 64 KB to the CPC6128 then it still uses only 128 KB, because usually the 64 KB expansions are like the second 64 KB RAM bank of the 6128.
The external 64 KB (RAM expansion) would replace the internal 64 KB (second bank). The CPC6128 would still access only 128 KB.
But, who would add 64 KB to a 128 KB computer ;-) Some more Ko's make some more sense :-)

Vive le octet!
TFM of FutureSoft

fano

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:53, 28 June 10
Also what about 192 K ?
With the price of the chips , let 's take 512K directly.The main advantage is to have an uniform configuration.

mahlemiut

I have only a pair of 464s, with no expansions.  CPC-specific expansion devices were hard to find down in this part of the world.  I used to have a 6128, though, wish I still did now.

- Barry Rodewald

arnoldemu

I think what we all agree is if there is extra ram then it should be used to enhance the game (more music, more levels, more gfx).

If a cartridge game is made, then it should use all 512k rom.

I also say that if a game is made for 128k, it should not be made in a "lazy" way. e.g. it should use all 128k ram, and use almost every byte.
I don't want to see 128k games that could be easily 64k games by arranging the data in a different way.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Quote from: trocoloco on 20:56, 28 June 10
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum. It's great to know that there is an active Amstrad community tho.
I've been checking out cpcwiki as well as other Amstrad pages lately and well just I decided to participate and give my humble opinion tho.

And getting to the point now, my answer is 128K. I have a 464 and a 6128  and no expansions ATM, I like to keep it real, although there is nothing wrong with having more memory but IMHO I dont think that so many people got extra ram on their cpcs.

Just wanted to say: welcome :)

ukmarkh

The CPC should have been 128k from day one... 64k doesn't cut it now, and didn't cut it back in 1984. That's why I waited and bought a CPC 6128. That's not saying for one minute that the CPC 64k version was crap, as there were some brilliant games. Just made it more difficult is all. 

MacDeath

Quotethat could change if a 512K memory expansion is bundled with game using   really this memory
Then why not simply release them as a extension port cartridge ? in ROM ?
Could even be easier to get a Flash memory than a RAM...er...lemme check... ::)

But As I implied in some other topics, a "More RAM only" card is perhaps not enough, just getting the prining is enough to get a fixed cost...
Getting per exemple a "few additionnal functions such as a second AY or a flash based "silicon-disk" (I mean some re-writable ROM) is perhaps a minimum.

But if it can be the cheapest possible...well...

Do some of you has access to interesting suppliers for Electronnic components ?

fano

Quote from: MacDeath on 14:14, 29 June 10
Then why not simply release them as a extension port cartridge ? in ROM ?
It is an interesting idea but you will a cartrige for each game until you have to burn yourself another game.With expansion RAM , you can have another games using this memory in disk.
ROM format is very interesting anyway ;)

trocoloco

Gryzor

'84 was borderline, and 64k was probably enough. Keep in mind they designed it months before -1983-, so 128k was definately too much back then. I think you're being unfair!

Axelay

While I'd agree it would have been nice if the CPC had been 128k from day one, I think it's one of those things that only seems obvious in hindsight, as expectations of what games could or should be changed a lot through the 80's.  I think at that time, the majority of the games around probably werent really demanding it.  The 464 also had a tape drive.  I dont think it would have made an obvious combination to match with 128k!

Anyway, my hardware hasn't changed since the last poll  :laugh:   unexpanded 464 & 6128.

Gryzor

How much time do 128k to load from tape btw?

Oh, also, my previous post was a reply to ukmarkh's comment on the previous page...

MacDeath

If you remember well, the speccy +2 from Amstrad was 128K and Tape drived... ;D for once Amstrad did it right...

We already talked about it though... CPC wasn't conceived as a 128k machine, which was completely a shame.

Even if the first model was to be supplied with only 64k, getting the design clearly integrating the fact the machine could be upgraded to 128k or even better would have been a clever move...

Bank switching is great, but the video RAM in central memory is a dick move IMO...

Oh : joke :

:P

Axelay

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:37, 30 June 10
How much time do 128k to load from tape btw?

Oh, also, my previous post was a reply to ukmarkh's comment on the previous page...

Depends what speed you record at.  maybe 8-10 minutes at 2000bd I'd guess (extrapolating from the tape images I've made).  Too long I think.

And so was mine  :)

Quote from: MacDeath on 11:26, 30 June 10
If you remember well, the speccy +2 from Amstrad was 128K and Tape drived... ;D for once Amstrad did it right...

Nothing to "remember well", no speccys where I lived!  But I was aware of it, and I dont see how that makes it 'right'.  It's not practical in my opinion.  The +2 only makes sense to me if I consider that it was released with a huge pre-existing catalogue of tape software.

ukmarkh

The +3 Speccy was a great machine... loved it to bits. I think I prefer the CPC 6128 though. 

Gryzor

The +2 was phenomenally cheap. I don't know the British price, but here in Greece it sold for DRS29.000 - peanuts!!! Considering it had an integrated recorder, 128k, even MIDI in&out, it was extremely cheap - much better than Sinclair himself would ever achieve...

I love the looks of the +3, but they're quite expensive!

@axelay: I think quite more than 8-10 mins!