News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How NOT to replace RAM IC's.

Started by Bryce, 12:06, 28 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Morning all,
     this morning I have a 6128 on the healing bench with RAM issues. Unfortunately someone did a lazy repair on the RAM before I got here. They cut the old RAM off and soldered the new chips to the stubs of the old IC's. Unfortunately the upper 64K failed again after this and the old repair makes further repair extremely difficult. There is no way of finding or repairing anything on the RAM in this state. All RAM has to be removed again and scraped. So saving time and a few cents on the first repair made all further repairs more expensive.

Please don't do this. You are only making things more difficult the next time something goes wrong. Rant over, back to the soldering iron...

Bryce.

Gryzor

Can only imagine how pissed off you were to stop fixing it and come here to vent :D

Shaun M. Neary

My eyes!
Sweet Jesus, who even does this?!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Audronic

@Bryce

Same thing happened down here in Australia.

Aerial attachment noted on a Dick Smith System-80 (TRS-80 Clone _Video Genie).
This had Multiple dry joints, no connects etc.
Had to as Bryce said remove every thing and start again with sockets,

Definitely recommend a Hemoroidectomy and I will pull the plug out . Grrrrr

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

||C|-|E||

First time I see such a thing, pretty crazy  :-X

VintageAdvantage

HOS it is!  :o Wondering if he tried to extend the RAM by banking it up like this? This was a pretty standard procedures for, e.g., Ataris etc.

Bryce

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 00:26, 30 March 21
HOS it is!  :o Wondering if he tried to extend the RAM by banking it up like this? This was a pretty standard procedures for, e.g., Ataris etc.

No, there's no original RAM underneath. The original RAMs have been cut off the board and the new RAMs are just soldered to the old remaining pins. This also seems to be what caused the new failure. Two of the new RAMs had cracks in the casing from being soldered in a stress position.

Bryce.

||C|-|E||

I guess you cut the pins and soldered the new ICs on top of the second layer, rigth?  ;D

Bryce

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 10:50, 30 March 21
I guess you cut the pins and soldered the new ICs on top of the second layer, rigth?  ;D

Well I used a 12 inch angle grinder, but you got the rest right :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Sparks mean it's working, no?

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:11, 30 March 21
Sparks mean it's working, no?

Short term yes.

Bryce.

Animalgril987

Some people should be banned from owning soldering irons... :D

Bryce

Well for all those who had trouble sleeping after looking at the first picture...

After the smoke from the angle grinder had subsided, this is what it looks like now. Seems I'm more skilled with the angle grinder than I thought :D

Btw: I found two pins that the original "repairer" had missed when soldering, so they were only making contact through surface pressure, which would explain why the CPC was having random crashes.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Looks like city blocks raised to the ground and ready for development :D

||C|-|E||

Good news is that the board seems to be in very nice condition  :)

Bryce

Yup. Now fully functional and on its way back to the owner.

Bryce.