News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to clean CPC 464 plus keyboard?

Started by AxelStone, 11:19, 31 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

AxelStone

Good day everyone, this weekend I'm going to do some maintenance to my CPC 464 plus. I've noticed that some keys are a bit hard to press, so I suposse there is dust inside the keyboard. Any good tutorial to open 464 and clean keyboard?

thanks.

Gryzor

Well, surprised at the lack of replies, but what did you find after all?

cpcitor

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:19, 09 July 17
Well, surprised at the lack of replies, but what did you find after all?

(topic unearthing)

My experience is that a paper clip (not even straightened, round loop is less aggressive on plastic surface) is a surprisingly effective tool to catch big clusters of hair and dust that accumulate under keys.

To refine the work, an air spray (or even any air pump, e.g. for inflatable mattress) can be good, but better do that outdoors or you could be liable to use a vacuum cleaner soon.

This is not specific to CPC keyboards.
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Duke

Probably not a recommended solution ...
I had a CPC6128 keyboard with many hard to press keys, even after thorough cleaning.
Ie. when not hitting the keys on the center they would be very hard to press. I put it down to being tear and wear.

I ended up giving the keyboard silicon spray from the front (without the foil) while exercising the keys and finally wiping off the excess silicon from the keys themselves.
The keyboard has been wonderful since, it's been about 6 months ago. Maybe it's not a good idea? - it worked for me atleast, so far :)

tjohnson

I took apart my pcw keyboard, cleaned the membrane with a cloth and the rest in the sink with hot water and a small brush. Dried in the airing cupboard.  Works a treat for me.   Don't lose the springs.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

pelrun

Quote from: Duke on 16:18, 28 September 17
I ended up giving the keyboard silicon spray from the front (without the foil) while exercising the keys and finally wiping off the excess silicon from the keys themselves.
The keyboard has been wonderful since, it's been about 6 months ago. Maybe it's not a good idea? - it worked for me atleast, so far :)

My keyboard has the same issue; lubrication is definitely a good idea (but make sure everything is clean first!)

Just need to choose the right lubricant. a silicone or a dry teflon film lube should be good. Oils(won't stay in place) and WD40(!) aren't.