News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to dismantle a CPC 6128 and replace the drivebelt

Started by Trotzdem, 02:14, 10 December 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Define tied? Both plugs should be easily removable by levering them gently with a small screwdriver.

Bryce.

ced64k

Quote from: Bryce on 18:06, 02 January 12
Define tied? Both plugs should be easily removable by levering them gently with a small screwdriver.

Bryce.

I tried the screwdriver way, they are unplugged. Now I have a fully working fdd :)

Gryzor

Quote from: ced64k on 15:28, 02 January 12
Anyone have advice to take out these two white plugs ? Because mine are tied and I'm afraid to break the wires :/
The wires are pretty firmly attached. I wouldn't worry about it... Otherwise, a fine set of pliers would do the job?

protek

I didn't dare to try get the connectors loose from the circuit board as they were quite tight and didn't come loose with moderate force. Therefore I ended up just loosening the screws, moving the pcb away as much as it was possible with the cables connected and getting the new belt in place with tweezers. It was a good thing that the original belt wasn't snapped so it was easy to remove. There was a snapped rubber band, though and there was residue of that in the motor pulley which requred cleaning.

steve

beaker

I cringed when the cartridge board was pulled out...  :)

Shredder11

Yes so did I!  Some people are just very aggressive and heavy handed with everything;  the same people who fling open car doors and bend the hinges and are usually some of the most stressful and noisy people to be around. :(  I have always refused to lend anything of mine to people like that.
Amstrad CPC6128, 3.5" Ext' Floppy, SD HxC Floppy Emulator

Bryce

Quote from: steve on 12:17, 01 July 12
This video shows a 6128+ being dismantled.

You spelt the word mishandled wrong!

You don't tear the cartridge riser board off like that, you could end up cracking the mainboard if you are really unlucky.

Bryce.

retratec

I can report the 6128 plus is working. If you want I can upload a video of it work to put all your minds at rest.

Bryce

That may be the case, but the way the electronics are being mihandled is definitely not recommended and shouldn't be used as an example to others of how to do it.

Bryce.

retratec

In what way was I mishandling the electronics apart from pulling off the cartridge riser board with my hand.   Also the video is a teardown not an instructional video. 

Bryce

Well call me fussy, but you do a few things that I wouldn't consider best practice. The biggest "no" in my opinion, is that you dismantled the CPC on what looks like a bed or duvet, which could and probably was heavily statically charged. There's no sign of either you or the CPC being earthed. You also then touch some of the IC pins while removing the cartridge port, so there was a very high risk of killing the CPC through static. The rest seems fine, although you also removed the keyboard foil connectors by pulling on one side, you should definitely use two hands, one on each side to do this, or you risk tearing the copper tracks.

Even if the intention of the video wasn't to be instructional, people tend to look at these videos for advice anyway.

Bryce.

retratec

Ill have to agree with you on the static front.  I have now got a wooden board to do teardown videos on.

Bryce

It's worth investing in a static earthing wrist-strap too, Some 8-bit computer components are very sensitive to static (ZX Spectrum 48K *Cough*).

Bryce.

retratec

No I would just us a hammer to open one of them  :laugh: 

Gryzor

...or just let it drop from shoulder height?

beaker

Monsters the lot of you!!!!  >:(
No, gut them, fill them with foam and send them to the flood hit parts of the UK so they can be used as floatation devices, or fill them with sand and use them in conjunction with sandbags... give the poor things a use again  ;)

Shredder11

Come on people, show a little love and respect for one of the all time greatest home computers!  Who knows, maybe the CPC may not have been born if the UK market had not been opened up by the legendary Sir Clive. :)
Amstrad CPC6128, 3.5" Ext' Floppy, SD HxC Floppy Emulator

arnoldemu

Quote from: Shredder11 on 13:09, 12 July 12
Come on people, show a little love and respect for one of the all time greatest home computers!  Who knows, maybe the CPC may not have been born if the UK market had not been opened up by the legendary Sir Clive. :)
it's the normal playground fights, and that we feel short changed with our games looking like poor spectrum conversions.

I appreciate the spectrum, but love the cpc.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

I also have several Spectrums in my collection, which give me endless hours of single-toned tunes and colour clashing graphics enjoyment :)

Bryce.

P.s. Eitherway, Gryzors comment about dropping it from shoulder height?? I mean come on! Everybody knows that that only works on the Spectrum +3, the correct way to open a ZX is to slam it in a car door while holding it at 30°.

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 14:47, 12 July 12
Everybody knows that that only works on the Spectrum +3, the correct way to open a ZX is to slam it in a car door while holding it at 30°.

Ohhhh, so is that where they got the idea for Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels when Vinnie Jones slammed that blokes head in the door????

Gryzor

Are we talking about the ZX or the Spectrum? Because if you try that with the ZX soft plastic will most probably ruin your lock mechanism. Gotta be clear on these things...

Munchausen

Finally replaced the belt on one of my CPCs yesterday - wow there was a lot of goo on those wheels!

Loaded up r-type perfectly! Unfortunately, my old CPC discs all seem to be dead though... can't get any to work so far. Some start to load but then crap out half way through. I have many more left to try though...

robcfg

Maybe you should try to dump them with a kryoflux controller or other specialized hardware.

Or try another disk drive.

I also managed to recover some defective disk by blowing dust and other particles off the disk.

Munchausen

I can't justify the investment in a kryoflux. But I have lots of other 3" drives (5 or so maybe).

The trouble is I don't know which are the double density/double sided PCW ones, as I have 2 PCWs as well, an 8256 and an 8512, and various spare drives and I've lost track of what all the spares are. Does it matter? Will they still work OK in a CPC? Is there a way to tell the difference (maybe I can spot the second head on the double sided drive)?